Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

10970-72 (radio) Stereo Balance Control: NCRS vs AIM Orientation

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 09:14 AM
pgtr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 1970-72 (radio) Stereo Balance Control: NCRS vs AIM Orientation

Didn't get much response on the C3 forum - so trying here... a bit of a trivia question about early C3 stereo balance control vs left right speakers...

the 1971 AIM U79 A1 page (last page in my AIM) states:
  • (a) Turn Balance **** to extreme clockwise direction & the right speaker should operate
  • (b) Turn Balance **** to counter-clockwise direction and the left hand speaker should operate

But I recently looked at an NCRS 70-72 Technical Information Manual and it states the opposite under 'Radio Operation AM/FM/Stereo'
  • "fully counter clockwise, only the right speaker should function" and "fully clockwise, only the left speaker should function"

The AIM is the virtually universal way radio balance controls have worked forever AFAIK. But thinking on it, the NCRS version of balance control might reflect that, at least during the early C3 era, - they used balance (& tone) ***** with pointers or indicators oriented downward to the bottom (not at the top of the **** as is typical or traditional).

Last edited by pgtr; 08-19-2022 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typo in subject
Old 08-27-2022, 02:53 PM
pgtr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I'll go w/ CLOCKWISE for RIGHT audio and COUNTER-CLOCKWISE for LEFT audio.

Yes the bottom located pointer tabs will point in the opposite direction from the speaker w/ audio. And yes that disagrees w/ the NCRS balance rotation.

But for most radios most of the time it's the more standard or intuitive way to control balance. And it agrees with the AIM. And I'm never going to change the balance anyway.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:52 AM
gbozz
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

The next revision to the 68-68 and 70-72 Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide will reflect this change.
Thanks for bringing this up...
Gary B

Get notified of new replies

To 10970-72 (radio) Stereo Balance Control: NCRS vs AIM Orientation

Quick Reply: 10970-72 (radio) Stereo Balance Control: NCRS vs AIM Orientation