Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Sting ray T.V. Show 1986-REMEBER?

Old 07-21-2014, 07:04 PM
coprice-ss
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sting ray T.V. Show 1986-REMEBER?

Hi everyone. I'm obviously new here but always had a special interest in Corvettes, among other cars. I really just love cool cars period.
One of my favourite shows from the '80's was NBC's "Sting ray" starring Nick Mancuso as a "man with no identity" who went around helping people who couldn't find help through the usual channels. Exchanging help for favours. He supposedly drove a black '65 Sting ray. The ad ran, "Hi I'm not here right now but if you're calling about the black 65 Sting ray, FOR BARTER ONLY to the right person, please call 555-7687 and leave a message". Well reading the members threads here and carefully examining the T.V. car in still frame, it seems the Sting ray in the show was actually a '66. Can anyone here let me know what they think about this? The t.v. car has white back-up lights but has B-pillar vents and a black grill. '65's are supposed to have all red rear lights. Also I found an aluminum looking inner drivers door pull handle. Those were on '66's right? Anyone that can shed light on this I'll really appreciate it. Cheers

Thank you for the welcome. I tried posting the same question in the C1/C2 forum but it wouldn't post. Still looking for a diffinitive answer as to what the correct year is for the T.V. Stinr ray. Again it has 4 tail lights 2 of which are clear, not red. It has a metal finish inner door pull handle but has B-pillar "gill vents" and a black front grill. The grill is correct to '65. But the inner door pull handle and clear back up lights sound like '66. HELP! Is it a pieced together '65 or '66?
Old 07-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If you posted in Off Topic, you might generate a bit more interest.

Check the archives of Corvette Fever or Vette Magazine. I believe one of them may have done an article on the television car back in the day. I seem to recall there was more than one black Sting Ray; the better of the two was used for close up shots while the rougher one was used for driving stunts etc. where details were not particularly important.

They could have been different model years and simply painted/equipped to resemble each other.

There was also a model of the car.

You might be able to scare one up on eBay.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 07-22-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sting ray T.V. Show 1986-REMEBER?