Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Correct bolts and reproductions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 AM
macdabs
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Correct bolts and reproductions

I started to gather the hardware for my 60' to begin assembly of the front/rear suspension ,brakes and various brackets. I have ordered the majority of the replacement hardware new that was said to be "correct" as far as the markings for my car. I have notice much of the hardware is not the same as the hardware I removed. Many of the nuts are not the same width as the old . An example would be the lower A arm bolts . The TR logo also lacks the detail or definition of the original and my **** eyes can spot a original from a reproduction very easily. For the cost and todays technology what the heck!
I have purchased hardware for Blue-oval restorations and the quality seems to be much better than what is marketed in the Corvette world . I have ordered from several sources and figure they all have the same supplier cause everything looks the same.
How do the NCRS judges look at the hardware and detail of the bolts? Will I loose points on reproduction hardware that has the correct markings that are not the originals?
Old 04-29-2014, 07:50 PM
tak82
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't comment on the judging but have you tried Mr G's fasteners ? they carry a lot of very hard to find head stamping and correct original size nut and bolts.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Factory appearance is the general rule of thumb for the NCRS. If your reproduction bolts and their installation have factory appearance for your model year, you could be okay.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:44 AM
djmc52
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is I little old but I've had luck with amk products as long as you know what your looking for. Finishes May need to be changed though. A lot of original hardware.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:14 PM
macdabs
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by djmc52
I know this thread is I little old but I've had luck with amk products as long as you know what your looking for. Finishes May need to be changed though. A lot of original hardware.
I like AMK I used them a lot when I was on the dark side Restoring Blue Oval cars). Last time I looked they didn't sell much for the C-1 vettes. I will check again,
Thanks
MAC

Get notified of new replies

To Correct bolts and reproductions

Quick Reply: Correct bolts and reproductions