Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

engine vin code/codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 07:21 AM
SARGE4-E
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine vin code/codes

I tried my best to remove the paint and have the following numbers and letters stamped on the block directly behind the alternator. The second looks like a 4 and third looks like a B but they are hard to see and may be different and I will put the possible other choice in parenthesis behind it. Any help finding out what I have here would be greatly appreciated.
T4B506282
T4=(A-?)B=(8-?)506282 and below that are the following
K II 05 TKY
sgt4e@verizon.net
Old 09-22-2013, 02:45 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

I'm guessing that the "T", is actually a "1", or possibly an "I". Chevrolet VIN stampings begin with a "1", which was GM's indicator for the Chevrolet Division. The letter "I" was often substituted for the number "1", on Chevrolet block stampings.

If it is a "1", then the VIN stamping (I4B506282) indicates that it's a Chevrolet engine (1), used in the 74 model year (4), in a vehicle built at the Baltimore assembly plant (B). The 506282, is the car's assembly number, or VIN.

KII05TKY indicates an engine built at St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada (K), on November 5th (II05). TKY is the suffix code for a Chevrolet 350 truck engine, used in 3/4 ton, and larger trucks. TKY could be a truck engine from 74, 78, or 80. The TKY engines were all 4 bolt main blocks.

From the "4" in the VIN number, and the TKY engine suffix code, my guess is that you have a 350 truck engine, assembled in Canada on Nov. 5, 1973, and installed in a 1974 3/4 or 1 ton truck, built at the Baltimore MD assembly plant.

The only thing I'm really not sure about, is whether Baltimore assembled large trucks. I know Baltimore built full size Chevrolets (Impala, Bel Air, etc.), I just don't know if they built trucks there too.

Quick Reply: engine vin code/codes