Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Newbie needs engine code help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Harrydale
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs engine code help please

Hello,

I have a engine that to the best of my limited ability seems to be a High Performance '65 or '66 327 Corvette engine. I am going to try attach a photo of the ID Pad. Could someone please help me decipher these numbers? I am not a Corvette owner but this motor is in a 1958 Chevrolet 2 ton truck that I have. I am just trying to verify what this motor is. Oops! Now I see that I cannot post attachments. I will describe the pad numbers.

On the left side of the pad is: S106408.

On the right side of the pad is: FO9I6HD (on this stamping the digit after the F is either the letter "O" or the number zero and the digit after the 9 is the letter "I")

But also in the upper left corner of the pad is the four digit number 9453. This stamping is about twice the height of the other letters and is partially overlapping the S106408 number.

If anyone is interested, I could e-mail a very clear photo of the pad.

Any help is appreciated!

Dale Douglas
Desloge MO
573-431-5756
Old 04-01-2013, 05:43 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

F0916HD appears to be a 66 327/350 4 speed, and A.I.R. system.

"F" is the Flint engine plant, "09" would be Sept., "16" is the 16th of the month, and "HD" is the suffix code for a 66 or 67 327/350 4 speed A.I.R. I know that it can't be a 67 engine, because the Flint prefix of "F", was changed to a "V" for 67.

Based on all of that, I'd say it's a 66 327/350, assembled on Sept. 16, 1965, at Flint Mi.

The VIN number, S106408, is for the 6,408 66 Corvette built. I know that it is a Corvette engine, because the "S" in the VIN derivative, indicates the St. Louis assembly plant, where Corvettes were built. The car was built in early January 66.

"HD" was also a 65 327 Powerglide in a full size car, and a 350 Turbo-Hydro in various 69's passenger models. Your engine can't be one of these, because those cars weren't built in St. Louis.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Harrydale
3rd Gear

What does A.I.R. mean? Any Idea about the four other numbers stamped on the pad?

In any case thanks very much for information. The motor runs very well, like I said it is in an old truck. I am going to sell the truck and I was wondering if I would be better off to sell the motor separate? I am not trying to make a fortune I just wonder if any Corvette person would be interested in it. I would rather see it go to someone who could appreciate it. If I sell it in the truck, probably the person who buys the truck will have no interest in the motor.

thanks again!

Dale Douglas
Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by Harrydale
What does A.I.R. mean? Any Idea about the four other numbers stamped on the pad?
A.I.R. stands for Air Injection Reactor, or more commonly the "smog pump".

The A.I.R. was the belt driven air pump, that had hoses and pipes, to pump air into the exhaust manifolds. It was first used in 66. Initially it was required on California cars, but available optionally elsewhere.

My guess is that the other four numbers, are probably a rebuilders mark. Engine builders will often stamp an identifier of some sort, onto an engine's pad. This way they can identify it later, for warranty reasons, etc.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:34 PM
Harrydale
3rd Gear

thanks again gbvette62 I appreciate your time and information.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie needs engine code help please

Quick Reply: Newbie needs engine code help please