Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Black Oxide parts re-coating questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Meanmyz
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Black Oxide parts re-coating questions

Hi guys,

I had just posted this question in another section, but I am wondering,
do any of you guys have any recommendations on a place that will do black oxide coating of auto parts for the auto enthusiast?

I have various parts such as fenderwell bolts and other parts that I would like re-coated to the factory standard of correctness.

I had incorrectly painted some of these parts years ago and would like to re-do them correctly.

Years ago, I tried the Eastwood kit, and it's resulting "cold dip" process was kind of a joke. Certainly not up to a standard as done by the factory.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Oh, this is for a C4, so many of these parts are not yet available as far as buying new or reproduced (too new yet).

Again Thanks.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:04 PM
grantstigers
Melting Slicks

Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by meanmyz1
Hi guys,

I had just posted this question in another section, but I am wondering,
do any of you guys have any recommendations on a place that will do black oxide coating of auto parts for the auto enthusiast?

I have various parts such as fenderwell bolts and other parts that I would like re-coated to the factory standard of correctness.

I had incorrectly painted some of these parts years ago and would like to re-do them correctly.

Years ago, I tried the Eastwood kit, and it's resulting "cold dip" process was kind of a joke. Certainly not up to a standard as done by the factory.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Oh, this is for a C4, so many of these parts are not yet available as far as buying new or reproduced (too new yet).

Again Thanks.
You need to Zinc phosphate them and then dip them in gun blue to blacken it.
I have the Zinc phosphate solution and at 35.00 a 1 litre bottle is cheap. However shipping is 17.00 as I have to buy a plastic tray and then ship in the flat rate box.
Better to buy 2 bottles at 70.00 plus shipping 17.00
I have done all bolts, Hood latches, 69 pan shielding etc. The C4 stuff will also work as I have had a 96 GS vert and noticed some of the torque bolts were phosphated having a sparkly finish???
Thanks, Grant
YOu can PM me if intersted

Quick Reply: Black Oxide parts re-coating questions