Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

What is the best protection for freshly painted steel surfaces?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 03:08 PM

Default What is the best protection for freshly painted steel surfaces?

I've been using ArmorAll, it seems to do a good job of keeping rust from forming and grease, dirt etc. wipes off easily. The down side is, it attracts and holds dirt on the surface, until wiped off.

What do you guys use to keep your freshly detailed parts from going to blazes? :confused:
Old 05-18-2002, 04:31 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: What is the best protection for freshly painted steel surfaces? (FXT)

Hmmmm...I'm confused. :confused:

If the parts are painted, why do you need to put anything on them? I thought the paint was to protect them from rusting. If the parts are painted, leave them clean and dry...the less lubricants you use on painted parts the better.

If they are unpainted, natural parts, I would use Prelube 6 sparingly. If you are going to drive the car, dirt clinging to the lubricant is going to be a fact of life.

[Modified by Chuck Sangerhausen, 1:32 PM 5/18/2002]
Old 05-18-2002, 05:55 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What is the best protection for freshly painted steel surfaces? (Chuck Sangerhausen)

Sounds like Patrick has been painting with POR 15 without a respirator...

Did you see the white rabbit yet, Patrick??
Old 05-18-2002, 07:25 PM

Default Re: What is the best protection for freshly painted steel surfaces? (Mac)

Chuck and Mac, the way I look at it, the painted steel surfaces, in addition to the body paint, are all exposed to the elements. Road crud, acid rain, oil, grease, heat and humidity all contribute to slowly turning a freshly painted surface dull and lifeless. These surfaces need a protective layer between the elements and the paint to protect the patina of the parts.

Everyone has their own method of madness, and I'm very sure some people use different applications of protectorants, to keep the engine bay et al, in the same condition as the day they painted them. After all this intense, laborious, seemingly endless job I'm doing detailing the engine bay, I'm certainly going to use something to protect my efforts. Grace :lol:
Old 05-18-2002, 07:36 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What is the best protection for freshly painted steel surfaces? (FXT)

How about wax? :crazy:
Old 05-18-2002, 08:58 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After all this intense, laborious, seemingly endless job I'm doing detailing the engine bay, I'm certainly going to use something to protect my efforts.
I haven't used this product, Patrick, but it sounds like something you could use.

Here's a customer quote from their website:
"Allan from North Dakota

An unbelievable wax that’s better than anything I’ve ever used. You HAVE to try it. What used to take hours to wax with a paste wax now only takes minutes.

The things that I like best about using Buffalo Milke are:
#1 The ease with which it goes on and produces a fantastic shine.
#2 Does not leave a white film on vinyl or rubber.
#3 Does not attract a dust film like paste or liquid wax does.

Used it on my CJ-S Jeep fiberglass top which has a course finish. It doesn’t leave a white film. Just unbelievable!"

Buffalo Mike - An instant spray wax, cleaner, and detailer that exceeds your expectations.

Who knows......check out their website: http://www.buffalomilke.com
Old 05-18-2002, 09:19 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Road crud, acid rain, oil, grease, heat and humidity all contribute to slowly turning a freshly painted surface dull and lifeless. These surfaces need a protective layer between the elements and the paint to protect the patina of the parts.
I don't know, Patrick, you work on that car much longer, and she's going to turn into a trailer queen right before your mind's eye. Change the words a little, and your statements above begin to sound like one of those TV hair conditioner commercials where the model with the long auburn hair down her back is swinging her head in slow motion and that hair looks like auburn waves of...mmmmmm. Yer goin' over the edge, Patrick. Mebbe me too. :D :D :D

Maybe you should just git you one of them buffalo cows with a buffalo calf. You could stake her out in the middle of that big back yard of yers and you would have buffalo milk for the Vette, grass mowing for yourself, and all the fertizlizer you could use.
:jester :jester :jester
Old 05-18-2002, 09:23 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What is the best protection for freshly painted steel surfaces? (Chuck Sangerhausen)

Now Chuck, here I resisted the impulse to post the picture of an empty trailer for Patrick's use and you chime in with "Buffalo cows and calves" :D

Old 05-18-2002, 09:29 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Default Re: What is the best protection for freshly painted steel surfaces? (67HEAVEN)

Now Chuck, here I resisted the impulse to post the picture of an empty trailer for Patrick's use and you chime in with "Buffalo cows and calves"
Uhmmmm...You think you could find a picture of a trailer with a buffalo and calf in it??? :jester :jester :jester
Old 05-18-2002, 09:39 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Uhmmmm...You think you could find a picture of a trailer with a buffalo and calf in it??? :jester :jester :jester
While I fire up the ol' 4x4 to head down into the back 40 for the trailer, this one'll have to hold the fort.

These guys are especially adept at sniffin' out "trailer potatoes". :blueangel: :lol:
Old 05-18-2002, 09:45 PM

Default Re: What is the best protection for freshly painted steel surfaces? (67HEAVEN)

While I fire up the ol' 4x4 to head down into the back 40 for the trailer, this one'll have to hold the fort.

These guys are especially adept at sniffin' out "trailer potatoes". :blueangel: :lol:
:cheers:

Hey thanks '67, just the website I was looking for, seriously. Them boys above kinda look like my hound dog, except he has a lot shorter legs! :cheers:
Old 05-18-2002, 09:54 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Hey thanks '67, just the website I was looking for, seriously.
OK, Patrick, you are on the hook to try this 'buffalo milke' out and give us a product report. At those prices, we shouldn't all have to try it unless it's clearly worth the money. :D :D
Old 05-18-2002, 10:30 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

I had to drug her to get her to stay on the trailer for the photo........meanwhile, who knows where the calf got to.

Old 05-18-2002, 10:31 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Notice how the trailer matches FXT's car colour. :jester
Old 05-18-2002, 10:43 PM

OK, Patrick, you are on the hook to try this 'buffalo milke' out and give us a product report. At those prices, we shouldn't all have to try it unless it's clearly worth the money. :D :D
Chuck, I am going to get some of that stuff. Can't be any more expensive than the Zaino wax I use on the Z06.

'67 what did you cut and paste that buffalo with, a chain saw? :lol:
Old 05-18-2002, 10:51 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

'67 what did you cut and paste that buffalo with, a chain saw? :lol:
She wouldn't stand still...... :smash:
Old 05-18-2002, 11:02 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Notice how the trailer matches FXT's car colour.
Hvn, I didn't notice...Patrick's car must have a trailer hitch. One has to keep their Buffalo Milk handy when driving to an NCRS meet. :D :D

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best protection for freshly painted steel surfaces?

Old 05-18-2002, 11:38 PM

Notice how the trailer matches FXT's car colour.

Hvn, I didn't notice...Patrick's car must have a trailer hitch. One has to keep their Buffalo Milk handy when driving to an NCRS meet. :D :D
You guys just wait...in a couple months this car is gonna be all black, after I strip all the yellow off! :eek: Now what color should I repaint the car with, Sunfire Yellow or Candy Purple with a BB hood? :lol:
Old 05-18-2002, 11:41 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

You guys just wait...in a couple months this car is gonna be all black, after I strip all the yellow off! :eek: Now what color should I repaint the car with, Sunfire Yellow or Candy Purple with a BB hood? :lol:
Oooooooooooooooooooooooo......Candy Purple with a BB hood....... :conehead
Old 05-19-2002, 12:01 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Now what color should I repaint the car with, Sunfire Yellow or Candy Purple with a BB hood? :lol:

Oooooooooooooooooooooooo......Candy Purple with a BB hood....... :conehead
Hey, Hvn, crank up the ole chain saw again, and let's see Patrick's car in Candy Purple. Glad I'm not faced with that choice...I think I'm leaning toward the Candy Purple. :D :D

Quick Reply: What is the best protection for freshly painted steel surfaces?