Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Tractor Trailer freight delivery for Corvette part....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 09:19 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Tractor Trailer freight delivery for Corvette part.... (Patrick Tighe)

Freight services have improved massively over the past ten years because of computerization of dispatching systems to meet demands of customers. Manufactorers used to stop big inventories so if a truck was delayed, they could keep working. Nowadays, companies demand on-time delivery and don't keep inventories. Between cellular phones, pagers, faxes and computers, there's less chance of problems.

That being said, there's always the chance of delays but the freight service's dispatcher should keep you advised, especially if you request it.
Old 03-10-2002, 09:37 PM
3X2-427
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tractor Trailer freight delivery for Corvette part.... (Patrick Tighe)

Patrick:
When the new frame arrived for the 65 restoration it went to a terminal in Tampa, they called the day it arrived and scheduled next day delivery. They called the next morning and narrowed it to within four hours. The driver even helped unload it.
jer
Old 03-10-2002, 09:41 PM
pittsaj
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Tractor Trailer freight delivery for Corvette part.... (Mac)

Mac,

Every time I order something it's never on time. :cry

I too have taken time off in vain

The new computer systems tell them right where it is..

But what they can never seem to tell me is...

IS IT MOVING !!!! :cuss

I know.... :nono:

Good luck Patrick

Tony
Old 03-11-2002, 02:12 PM
macnav
Instructor

Default Re: Tractor Trailer freight delivery for Corvette part.... (pittsaj)

Tony,

Computers and GPS haven't solved the 'human' part of the trucking business. A couple of years ago our Rescue Coordination Centre in Trenton Ontario got a call from an American truck driver who'd 'lost' his tractor trailer (and cargo, of course) in the east end of Toronto. Seems he'd parked it for the night on a street in an industrial park and when he returned the next morning, the truck was nowhere to be found; but the tractor had a GPS tracking unit in it, and, checking with his company in Illinois, the driver was given a latitude and longitude location for the truck. Unfortunately, most city street maps aren't calibrated in lat/long, so somehow the driver got the idea to call the Rescue Centre for help. The Controller on duty knew a local (Toronto) 'CASARA' member (a volunteer search and rescue association somewhat like the US Civil ir Patrol), who also happened to be a private investigator by trade. This individual had a hand-held GPS in his car, and, given the lat/long provided by the driver's company, took only a few minutes to track down the missing tractor trailer....in the police impound lot! It had been towed there during the night for illegal overnight on-street parking....

grant
Old 03-11-2002, 03:21 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Tractor Trailer freight delivery for Corvette part.... (macnav)

Hey, macnav! Welcome back- I thought we'd lost you. I was gonna call out search & rescue but.... well, you know. How's the weather in the world's coldest nation's capital??

We'll never solve the human element of trucking but I stand by my position that things have improved massively in the past ten years. I've had the same kinda experience as Patrick in the past- no phone call, yellow sticker on the door, time wasted and massive frustration. In the past five years (knock on wood) I haven't seen a yellow sticker.

I attribute a good part of the improvement to the inefficiency of the postal services and the resultant development of courier services as a guaranteed alternative. Couriers make their bread and butter by providing 'on time' deliveries which pushed the bar for freight companies who are essentially in the same business on a larger scale.

I've seen the sorting systems used by some of the courier companies and it's impressive. For instance, Purolator uses a system which weighs and laser-scans packages for dimensions as it passes through conveyor belt system. By using barcode scanners to register each movement, you can literally track the progress of packages on their website from pick-up to drop off. That's gotta kick the s**t outta the old system where Ethel called Bubba on the CB and said "You got that package for Mac?"
Old 03-11-2002, 07:53 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

This may seem like a strange question but who's going to make the shipping container or crate?

If it's not the vender (and it likely is) then I'd find out how many similar pieces each freight company has shipped. Let's face it- the better the crate, the safer your front end. If one of the freight companies has only shipped small pieces, do you want to be their first 'big piece' customer?

Does the vender guarantee "intact" delivery? If it arrived damaged, what are your options? Some freight companies insure only by weight rather than declared value- you show know what their policy is if the vender doesn't guarantee intact delivery.

Just a few things to clarify BEFORE the piece gets shipped. HEY- who are you calling ****?
Old 03-12-2002, 09:50 AM
macnav
Instructor

Not 'lost'...we never say that in the 'business'...temporarily unsure of position, but never 'lost'. In fact, I was out your way in January and managed to visit the Ronster at his shop. I gather from another of your posts that you're one of those yellow-striped trouser guys, is that right? I've got an RCMP S/Sgt in the office next door, and showed him your 'heaven' joke yesterday and he thought it was a hoot!
Old 03-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Patrick, $50 for the foamy is cheap protection. I can't imagine shipping it without that kind of protection. Sounds like you have the situation well in hand.

Yep, macnav, I have a bad haircut and my clothing choices include kevlar. Too bad I missed you in Victoria, but I've been transplanted (transferred?) to Vancouver in recent months. I'm glad yer friendly neighborhood Staff Sergeant enjoyed the joke.

The guy who convinced me to take up this career used to be in charge of the OPP helicopter division up until 1990... maybe you ran across him- Bob Abra?
Old 03-13-2002, 10:48 PM
3X2-427
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"BTW, Jerry from Goldsboro, N.C. drove up here yesterday, and bought my front end. He said he has done business with you and said to say hi. "

Patrick:
J Snyder is a great guy, full time military crew chief on air refueling tankers he is ofter "over there" weeks at a time and a true Corvette lover, hope ya gave him a good deal :D
jer
Old 03-14-2002, 10:49 AM
macnav
Instructor

Mac,

Can't say as I recognize the name Bob Abra. We don' have a lot of contact with the OPP air operations folks. Used to see them from time to time in Sudbury when we stopped in there with the Herc for lunch. I do know Randy Hidebrandt, formerly Are you a transplanted 'tarian or did you run into Abra out west?
Old 03-14-2002, 01:35 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

I spent a good number of years knocking around in Ontari-ari-ari-oooo but started my journey in the Maritimes. How did I end up on the Lotus Coast? The Mounties said "Go west, young man!"

I met S/Sgt. Abra (rtd) in Mississauga in 81. Their choppers are (were?) based out of Brampton. We've kept in contact after all these years- he and his wife are the salt of the earth, so to speak.
Old 03-14-2002, 02:36 PM
macnav
Instructor

I think their helos are actually based in several locations, Sudbury being one of them (I know they use one or two for 'VIP' travel from the Toronto area). Their HQ recently moved to Orillia, I believe.

I didn't finish the Hidebrandt thing: He was (at the time a Sergeant) in charge of the RCMP helicopter Det in Comox, mid-80's when I was there. Randy later was OIC of the Ottawa Air Section before retiring and taking a job as one of the executives with some helicopter industry association, I think.

Incidentally, I bought my '65 in Comox, but it had previously been owned by a young man from the Vancouver area who worked at Carter and one of the other dealerships. I recently managed to track him down (he's now living in Port Alberni, running a family jewelry business) and sent him some photos of the car at various points during the 15 years that I've owned it. He promised to try and find some info on the guy he bought it from and maybe a photo or two from his period of ownership. I'm hoping he comes through. Perhaps you can tell me, does BC Motor Vehicle Licensing have any capacity (or willingness) to provide previous ownership info? I'm led to understand that my car was originally delivered in California, but I don't know for sure.
Old 03-14-2002, 05:01 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

As bizarre as it may sound, we don't have a Motor Vehicle Branch in BC. Instead, we have the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) http://www.icbc.com/ which assimilated the MVB about 5 years ago. They have monoploy on basic (PLPD) insurance and also do all vehicle registration as well as driver licencing. I'm not sure whether they have hard archives or microfiche or ???? I believe they are cooperative (for a reasonable fee, of course) but if you get stuck, let me know. I have a contact on the inside, so to speak. My fees are reasonable as well. :lol:
Old 03-15-2002, 09:20 AM
macnav
Instructor

Mac,

I know ALL ABOUT the infamous ICBC, having lived in 'Lotus Land' for four years in the mid-80's. I don't know if it's different now, but when I went to get the '65 licensed (after re-assembling the car that I had purchased in a disassembled state), their (ICBC's) only interest (aside from the fee, of course) was in looking at the VIN to confirm it was the same as the ownership. The agent asked me: "Is it safe to drive?", to which I politely nodded my head and said "yes", and that was it! Not so, back here in Ontario, where a full safety inspection (including road test) was needed. I note that you now have something called 'Air Care', which I assume is like Ontario's 'Drive Clean', emissions testing; however, in Ontario, cars older that 1980 are exempt; but I've seen auto trader magazines from BC with ads for some 'classics' stating that they were being sold as 'Air Cared'. Does that mean that ALL vehicles in BC require the test?

Thanks for the info and the offer of assistance. I'm going to give the guy in Port Alberni a little while longer to see what he comes up with before writing to ICBC. BTW, I'm not 'documenting' a numbers-matching/NCRS standard of car, but rather satisfying personal curiosity as to the history behind my car. I do know that it had been painted 4 different colours prior to me buying it (and the current red paint makes it 5 colours). What started out as silver pearl in '65, went through a mid-metallic blue (laguna blue, perhaps?), a light yellow (like the '65 light yellow), and finally white, which colour it was when the guy in Port Alberni bought it.

grant
Old 03-15-2002, 09:47 AM
Kevs67
Instructor

This was Ron Ds idea :cheers:
Old 03-15-2002, 08:27 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

The Air Care emissions testing thing is only in the greater Vancouver area. All cars must be tested- no exceptions. Older cars are checked annually (current fee $24) and newer (after 94, I think) are checked every two years (current fee $48). What a nuisance!

ICBC is even more intrusive now that in the 80s- especially since they took over the MVB.

Get notified of new replies

To Tractor Trailer freight delivery for Corvette part....

Quick Reply: Tractor Trailer freight delivery for Corvette part....