Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Top Explanations To Significant Others!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 04:11 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Top Explanations To Significant Others!

As some of you have read, I'm engaged in a battle with the Dragon (Mrs. Mac) over $$$ to purchase a four post lift in the latest group purchase. It appears I'm going to get the lift but there will be a delay in delivery. (compromise is a wonderful word)

Without prying into the personal, let's hear a few stories. Remember, for information to be useful, it must be shared and we're all in this together. What was your best 'sell' ever? What did it get you?

Although the four post lift appears to be a success, I think my best sell ever was: the frame-off on my 73 Vette. My secret? THE TRUTH. I know the concept is radical, but read on....

As anyone who's ever done a frame-off can attest, it's never cheap. My wife was reluctant to commit funds and so I dribbled the bills to her rather than holding them for a big hit. The biggest cost was the initial order of parts. RonD prepared a goods list which included almost everything you could imagine. The Dragon almost choked over the bill but I reminded her that this was a 'one-time' cost as many of the replacement parts were stainless, etc etc.

As the frame-off was in progress, I arranged a visit to the shop so the Dragon could see what was being done. I've done repairs and minor restorations before including a frame-off on the Dragon's Jeep CJ7, so she was familiar with the some of the process but there's nothing more impressive than seeing the vehicle stripped to it's essentials.

The Dragon was awed which loosened the purse strings a little more. At each stage, I fed the Dragon information on what repairs were being done, what parts being replaced, emphasizing the excellence of newer materials and processes (ie: powdercoating) so she felt like she was 'in the loop' and as the car was reassembled, I arranged a second visit to show her how well everything was progressing. I carefully ducked as many 'how much more will it cost?' questions as possible.

When RonD had completed, the car was shipped off to the body shop for touchups. Here's where things get impressive. The Dragon asked what, if anything, was left to do. I explained that there were a few interior pieces which needed attention; rather minor since I had most of the parts but the console needed to be replaced.

The Dragon asked how much it would cost to have RonD finish the interior and suggested I have RonD do the finishing touches. I was floored (as was RonD).

To quote someone famous- the truth shall set you free! :yesnod: :lol: :rolleyes:
Old 01-27-2002, 05:50 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Top Explanations To Significant Others! (Mac)

So, er...What happened to your "Golden Touch", Midas? Didja fergit how to strum your wife's strings er didja' jus' git lucky on the resto? :D :D

You might try the old practical economics approach. This angle was often successful in the workplace...if you wanted to sell a project that cost a lot of money, you brainstorm all the possible financial gains that could be realized from spending this money, and if you were really creative, you could come up with a two month payback.

Now, in your case, you are going to have to do a little homework and put a price on all the automotive work that you do around there. How much money is wifey saving just by having you around to change her oil, check her fluids, battery, etc to her vehicle purring along?

Wives don't think about the possibility of machines not working. They just expect that they are going to continue running so long as they put gasoline in them. But the reality of the tow truck...now that gets through pretty quick. With me around, my ex got about 8-10 years service out of a car; after I left, she was lucky to have one three years. She treated her cars like her husband; rode them hard and put them up wet. :D

Then, after you have explained and totaled the, hopefully, long list of your mechanical services, you say that not only would the lift make you so efficient that you would have more time to spend with her, but you wouldn't be forced to lay on the cold concrete and maybe catch pneumonia. If she really loved you, she wouldn't want you catch your death, and leave her a premature widow would she? (you'll need to be like a lawyer on this one...know the answer before you ask the question.) :D :D

Good luck there, Macster. :jester
Old 01-27-2002, 08:08 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Top Explanations To Significant Others! (Chuck Sangerhausen)

Midas touch? Hardly- maybe the Sadim (opposite) touch. Everything I touch turns into a money pit.
I've managed pretty good so far. Like I said in the first post, I've compromised- the lift is coming, just not tomorrow, but I think she will make me pay in crown moldings. All tolled, not a bad deal.

I thought some of the rest of you might have stories like mine which you might share. If I happen to glean a few ideas for the next major purchase, sobeit!! Maybe someone else might benefit from our shared experiences. Got any stories you can share, Chuck?
Old 01-28-2002, 12:02 AM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mac! If could stomach a long-winded response, I'll include a chapter on an article regarding Miranda's purchase (circa 1993) that is in regard to your post.

II. The Justification

A couple of years ago, these Corvette thoughts resurfaced in my mind. The logical side of me kept trying to put down the free-spirit and rebel side. There were plenty of reasons not to buy a Corvette: I don't know what I'm doing. An old car would be unreliable. There are better and more secure ways to invest my money. It wouldn't be practical for long trips. It's not a "family" car. I can't afford it anyway. And the insurance!! And the traffic cops - I'd be in jail in no time!

Well my wife didn't exactly object to the idea when I mentioned it to her, and that was a surprise. Maybe she understood this men and boys and their toys business. Maybe she remembered that trip in my brother-in-law's roadster (discussed in previous chapter not included here for brevity). Maybe she saw how jubilant I became when discussing what it would be like cruising on a warm afternoon down Riverside Drive in a convertible Corvette. Maybe she thought SHE would get to drive it. Wait a minute......

I knew it would be a tough sell to make such an "investment" because of the usual economics - trying to allocate our scarce resources (money) towards our unlimited wants and needs (mortgage, food, clothes, entertainment, etc.). If I was to become a Corvette owner and stay married, this car would have to become more than an investment or hobby; it would have to almost become part of our lifestyle. I would have to justify this to both her and to myself.

It would make a great investment. Some sources say all Corvettes produced up to 1972 are appreciating and most produced from 1973 to 1982 are appreciating. A smart purchase could pay off in the long run, and in the meantime I can enjoy driving it. As a CPA, I had a tough time reconciling the investment angle with myself, much less my spouse. And don't forget - I don't exactly know what I'm doing anyway. How would I know whether I made a smart purchase?

I could study and learn and ask others about their experience. And anyway, lots of folks have boats. Now how much do you spend to buy a boat? Between 10 and 20 thousand? And how often do you use that boat? Maybe once a week during the summer? Maybe less. Maybe not at all during the winter (and Oklahoma does not exactly have a four season climate, 1993 and 2000 excluded). Well Cyndi and I are not exactly lake people. Maybe this Corvette could be our boat.

I pondered this boat analogy. I asked a friend at work about her boat.
"How much did your boat cost?"
"About 15 grand" she said.
"And how often do you use it?"
"About every other weekend during the summer."
"And what kind of gas mileage do you get in the boat?" I asked, knowing that she would have no idea and probably didn't care.
"I don't know. I don't know that you can measure the gas mileage for a boat."
And now the clincher. "If you sold your boat, would you get out for what you have in it?"
"Probably not" she said.

Well if you think about it, a Corvette as a third car for pleasure-use only in a two car family would be a lot like a boat. This Corvette idea started taking on a life of its own now. This boat analogy started to justify the Corvette in my mind. But I'm not sure it would be enough to convince my loving spouse that it is the right thing to do and now is the right time. And telling Cyndi that I would be a happier person probably would backfire on me. I needed to come at this from a women's point of view.

I tried convincing my wife that I would be a better parent if I had a Corvette. This parent-child-family thing really pulls at a woman's heartstrings, especially my woman. Of course, Cyndi and I don't have any children but plan to sometime after the Clinton administration (dang second term - we held out until 1998 when my daughter was born). I remember what my mom did to me when we were in the car alone traveling somewhere. I had to talk to her. I couldn't say I had homework to do. I couldn't say I needed to go somewhere. I couldn't say I needed to call someone. I was stuck in the car with my mom; there was nowhere to go. Well I told Cyndi that the Corvette would be an excellent discipline mechanism when I had to have those father-son and/or father-daughter talks with one of our kids. I could put the kid in the Corvette, put the top down, run to Sonic and pick up something to drink (with lids) and cruise until the kid unloaded whatever he or she needed to tell me. It would be great for me and would not necessarily be a privilege for the kid since kids hate to be seen with their parents anyway once they reach a certain age.

I tried convincing my wife that the Corvette is something we could to TOGETHER. Now Cyndi is really into togetherness, especially since she started working. There are only two seats in the Corvette; the passenger seat would be designated for her. Plus, a cruise in a roadster can be quite therapeutic. As a middle school math teacher, Cyndi might need some radical therapy.

Finally, I tried the mid-life crisis approach. I told Cyndi that we could get the Corvette and I would have my mid-life crisis now with her instead of later with some more expensive foreign sports car (not as good as a 'vette) with someone I don't know very well and probably don't like very much. In a way, she would be helping herself here.

It appears that the combination of all of these approaches is what got my wife to saying "what are you waiting for?" when discussing the potential Corvette purchase. Yes, that's right. My wife was telling me to go buy my dream car. I now knew that a Corvette would make a pleasurable and harmonious addition to our family.

And you can see the results below - GM.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:09 AM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Top Explanations To Significant Others! (mayberg)

Good for you, Guy. I'm glad it worked out well.

The boat comparison is a handy one- I'll file that away. You did realize B-O-A-T is an acronym? B-ring O-ut A-nother T-housand.

I liked the "Having my midlife crisis with you" line as well. I should be able to work that one at some point, although I'm not sure it'll work. The last time I suggested to the Dragon that I might get a mistress due to a certain lack of nudge-nudge, she requested I get a quiet Asian girl who cooks and cleans. Not the response I was expecting, needless to say. :p:
Old 01-28-2002, 09:08 AM
GregP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Mac - The problem is that one lift isn't going to do you any good, as her car will be on it and yours will still be on jack stands. (Ask me how I know :D )

And a mere thousand isn't even enough to open your wallet for on a boat these days (must have been an expression left over from the 50's). (You know I have plenty of experience with this one too :D )

-Greg
Old 01-28-2002, 10:43 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Got any stories you can share, Chuck?
What can I say? I don't have any stories. When you have the greatest partner in the world, and they understand your every need and want, they usually ask you if you need something before you think of it yourself. (I'll teach you to ask these very personal, smart-butt questions!) :D :D

Here's an example: we were out for dinner this week, and we were talking about her car needing a good polish and wax, and she starts another related subject with something about "When you get your new Vette". Knowing the market has me flat on my backside, I say "Whut er yew tawkin' about?" She still remembers that I said, "When my Social Security kicks in, I am going to use the checks to buy me a new Corvette" (Ain't entitlements great? They should have the bugs worked out of the C6s by then. :D :D ).

Speaking of new Corvettes, I fell in love again last night: we pulled up to a four-way stop, and there was my dream car turning right in front of us. It was a brand-spanking new 2002 convertible, Magnetic Red, oak interior, with the optional polished wheels. Be still my heart...we were both oohhhing and ahhhhing. That lucky old geezer was out for a cruise with HIS business manager! I can just visualize Jan and me cruising the coastal highway (that would be Hiway One on the left coast), sunglasses on, wind in our hair, glancing down at the surf on the rocks below, driving over chasms on those cool old arch bridges, that new Vette effortlessly hugging every curve and purring along; Mmmmmmm, don't wake me up now.

Actually, managing our money is pretty simple. She spends her money like she wants, and I spend my money like I want. Now, when the market sucks, like now, I know I won't be making any large expenditures on non-necessities, and I do not expect my wife to finance things I can do without. "A man has to know his limitations", or "Pushing the edge of the envelope can get you a bad paper cut". :D

However, in my garage, I can hardly forget that my wife is the greatest wife in the world because I am constantly using quality tools that I have received for Christmas and birthdays, and I think of her when I use them...air compressors, welding machines, DeWalt cordless drill, DeWalt orbital sander, DeWalt grinder...a long list. Oops, no, the grinder was one of those economic justifications; the house needed some stucco repairs, and the grinder was the perfect tool for the job. She bought the grinder, I made the repairs, and kept the grinder for...that's right...planned future fiberglass work. She has a similar list of very nice gifts that I have given her...diamond ear rings, gold chains, clothing, etc.

The closest I have to a "story" is when I convinced her (didn't take much convincing) that if she bought me one of those Sato high-dollar, gravity-fed, HVLP spray guns, I could repaint my step-son's ragged old school car in the garage (did you know that Ford used water soluble paint in the late eighties?). But, in the back of my mind, I am thinking about painting my Corvette. This Sato is a premium, professional quality gun...I think they cost like about $500-$700. Anyway, after I got to thinking about the time and work it was going to take to sand and prep that old beast, and the further disruption it was going to cause in my garage, I lost enthusiasm and never collected the marker. We'll figure out how to paint the Corvette when we get to it. :D

I am guessing that you didn't rent "The Mexican" didja? Now, if you had done what this old veteran of marital wars had told you, you would still be getting the lift, and everybody would have gone to work with a smile on their face this morning. You got sit through a chick flick every now and then. If while watching said chick flick, you can think of something to make your eyes well up, maybe like some old geezer pulling right out in front of Vette and demolishing the front end, well, so much the better.
:jester :jester

[Modified by Chuck Sangerhausen, 7:59 AM 1/28/2002]
Old 01-28-2002, 05:45 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Oops! Doubled up! I hope Troy fixes things soon! :smash: :smash: :smash:

[Modified by Mac, 1:57 PM 1/28/2002]
Old 01-28-2002, 05:45 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

You got me, Chuck. In fact, my eyes are sorta welling up at this moment, just running through that visual of a Vette versus a pickup with one of those aftermarket nasty steel bumpers. :sad:

My wife isn't typical in a lot of ways. For instance, diamond earrings would be wasted on her- the Dragon prefers exercise equipment. For her birthday, I got her two sets of racks for the dumbells which range from 5 lb to 85 lbs (the bigguns are for me). She runs 6 miles or more daily, has a black belt in Karate (as do I) and lifts weights regularly. Her vehicle of choice is the Jeep CJ7 which she chose over the YJ and TJ because she wanted the heavy-duty suspension and bullet proof drivetrain which she doesn't mind testing on occasion.

That said, she is still a woman, so the occasional chick flick does produce miracles. Sometimes I lose sight of that. Thanks for grounding me, Chuck. By the way, was the 2002 a vert, coupe or ???
Old 01-28-2002, 07:25 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

By the way, was the 2002 a vert, coupe or ???
They starting making Corvettes again in 1986. Or, "Aren't all Corvettes convertibles?" :jester :jester
Old 01-28-2002, 11:24 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Top Explanations To Significant Others! (Patrick Tighe)

I used to think I had the magic touch with my wife....anything I wanted to buy....no problem.

Then I realized that it was just her way of keeping me in the garage and out from under foot!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Top Explanations To Significant Others!

Quick Reply: Top Explanations To Significant Others!