Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Reorganizing the Garage....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 07:22 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Reorganizing the Garage.... (Patrick Tighe)

Before you put up all those shelves, you should have painted. A couple quick coats of paint make for a brighter room, less dust and much easier clean up. Where's your bench? Oh, hang on- I see something like a bench there....

One of the advantages to my recent move is I 'gained' from a single bay garage to a deep doublewide garage but I lost my connected workshop. The new place has lots of space for a workshop but I have to descend a set of stairs which access from the back of the garage. The workshop is currently an empty room (t-bar acoustic ceiling and carpet) but I'll fix all that! I might even install a fridge.... :cheers:

[Modified by Mac, 11:34 PM 10/28/2001]
Old 10-28-2001, 10:32 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Patrick, If I could figure out this picture stuff I would show you a real mess.

I only have one car in the garage right now and there isn't any room, last year I had 3 in there and was working.

Tom
Old 10-29-2001, 10:12 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting ready to do the garage reorganization as well. We've moved out of the house due to a fire, but the garage is OK. I''ve got a nice workbench at the back wall, but I plan to build a freestanding wood shelf system for storage along the back wall. I'll hand some florescent lights above the bench. I'll leave room for the tool chests and such along the back.

Then along the side I'm wiring up for my new air compressor. I'll likely mount it close to the breaker panel, and plumb in some metal lines to route the air supply through the working area. May as well do it while I have the cars out of the garage and I have the time. Plus, when we move back in I plan to pull the motor and tranny in the '69, rebuild the front suspension, and detail out the engine compartment.

Shannon
Old 10-29-2001, 10:18 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hee, Hee. Patrick, looks like you have been nailing parts to the walls for painting semi-flat black (that lower spray pattern looks like a sway bar). :jester

For painting, try putting some eye-bolts in the ceiling and use some cheap swing chain and some "home-made" clothes hanger "hooks" to hang the parts. If you hang the parts about shoulder high, you will have good vision and full 360 degree access, and if desired, you can hang them in the right position to get your runs correct. The only frustrating annoyance is that the slight force of the spray will start the parts to moving and swinging like a wind chime; you'll have to use one latex gloved finger to hold them steady. Touch up your finger print with the last little puff.

Hey, what's that on the shelf there?...I think...OH MY GOSH, it's a GATOR-GRIP!!!! You need to get you a rollaway tool box to hide all those imported and TV tools!

Happy Monday, all you working stiffs. :D :D :jester
Old 10-29-2001, 10:44 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Default Re: Reorganizing the Garage.... (sb69coupe)

Then along the side I'm wiring up for my new air compressor. I'll likely mount it close to the breaker panel, and plumb in some metal lines to route the air supply through the working area.
Shannon, pay close attention to power comsumption of your compressor. If you have a 220V compressor, and plan to wire a new 220 circuit, you should be OK powerwise (assuming your house supply has the capacity).

My previous compressor was one of those little 110V Sears portables which used about 15 amps of current. Since most garages are wired with a 15 amp circuit for one single lamp fixture, I found I could run the compressor, or I could have lighting, but not both. :D

As for location, you may want to consider locating the compressor as far away from your work area as possible; it makes for more complications in running the wire, but if you have a bead blast cabinet, it separates the compressor inlet filter away from the particulates and mininizes the noise level in your work area.

[Modified by Chuck Sangerhausen, 7:46 AM 10/29/2001]
Old 10-29-2001, 11:28 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Reorganizing the Garage.... (Chuck Sangerhausen)

Thanks for the advice Chuck. I've got room on the panel, and plan to install a dedicated single-phase 200v circuit just for the compressor. Unfortunately my garage isn't big enough to move much of anything far away from the work area. Most of my blasting will be done outside on a tarp, using a cheap siphon blaster anyway. I just want to keep the compressor away from the area with the kids toys and such. I can't do much more than that in my 22 x 30 foot space.

Shannon
Old 10-29-2001, 01:34 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Default Re: Reorganizing the Garage.... (sb69coupe)

When we built our retirement home last year, I decided to finally do it right after many homes over the years with cramped garages, 40 years of lying on my back on clammy floors under cars on jackstands, having the house lights dim when the compressor came on, no storage, and no office space.

Here's the bench area at the front, with 100-amp 220V service separate from the house for the compressor and welder, and the "step" poured 60" deep instead of the usual 36" so you can move around in front of the bench without constantly stepping up and down:

Here's the main work area and lift (best money I ever spent - should have bought it years ago - nothing like working under your car while standing up):

Outside the shop/office - restored Sunoco pump was a surprise birthday present from my wife - but she forgot the 10,000-gallon underground tank full of 260 to go with it:

And the adjacent shop/office - gotta have a place to hang out, clean up, and tip a few :cheers:

[Modified by JohnZ, 12:39 PM 10/29/2001]
Old 10-29-2001, 02:18 PM
topless68
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Reorganizing the Garage.... (JohnZ)

Holy garages Batman! :smash: :smash:

I'm alright, I'm alright........my wife heard a THUD on the floor in my ofice and had to come pick me up and set me back in my chair.

Nice garage and office! Of course my wife would never let me build smething like that. NO WAY, NO HOW. She already thinks I spend too much time in my office and the garage :yesnod:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

[Modified by topless68, 12:18 PM 10/29/2001]
Old 10-29-2001, 02:19 PM
Robd
Pro

Who needs a damn house, I'll just move into JonnZ's Garage. hehehhe :)
Very nice

They should be filming dream car garage from your house.
Old 10-29-2001, 02:31 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Why not use cabinets in place of the shelves. Paint should be number one on the list. :chevy
Old 10-29-2001, 03:56 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

John, did you see that HGTV special on fancy garages about a week or so ago?

These garages weren't practical like yours, where actual work goes on, but were strictly for display of toys. One had a circular vaulted ceiling with indirect lighting over the "show floor" and a glass wall that retracted to open the "show floor" onto the outside terrace and pool...You know a place to entertain guests and allow them to enjoy your old classic Jaguars, etc. Besides the "show floor", I believe it also had ordinary garage space for additional cars. That same garage also had an attached apartment, but I didn't see any tools anywhere in the place. :D :D

Nice garage you got there, John. I had heard the stories about your garage. Hey, I didn't see any fire extinguishers...should always have one close to the entry door. :)

Hey Patrick...check out John's furnace hanging from the ceiling. Now that's industrial strength heating for those cold Michigan winters. :D
Old 10-29-2001, 07:29 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Default Re: Reorganizing the Garage.... (Robd)

I hate to say it but I do have the cabinets from John's garage in my Kitchen

Tom
Who needs a damn house, I'll just move into JonnZ's Garage. hehehhe :)
Very nice

They should be filming dream car garage from your house.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:42 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

There are six three-pound Halon-1211 extinguishers - one in each car, one at the front bench, and two on the wall next to the work area.

All it took was a "bargain" with my better half - when we gave up looking for something that met both of our needs (she's an artist/designer and needs studio space) and decided to build instead, I said "You design the house, whatever you want, and I'll design the garage, whatever I want" - she said "Sounds like a plan to me", so that's what we did. Now we're both happy, and we have the essential "balance" :D
Old 10-29-2001, 08:43 PM
WB6HRO
Racer

Default Re: Reorganizing the Garage.... (Chuck Sangerhausen)

The things to remember about 110 volt vs. 220 volt:

1. At 220 the current is half that of 110.

2. The way the power meter or wattmeter works is like a motor and on 110 runs at the speed of the line pulling the most current so 110 volt drawing 10 amps will spin the meter twice as fast as 5 amps at 220.

3. When you design the electrical distribution you want to balance the loads in the 110 circuits each side of the neutral so the meter spins slower!

Old 10-29-2001, 09:15 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Default Re: Reorganizing the Garage.... (WB6HRO)

When you design the electrical distribution you want to balance the loads in the 110 circuits each side of the neutral so the meter spins slower!
Joe, once you get past black=hot, red=hot (sometimes), white=common, and green or bare=ground, you have lost me. Are you talking about balancing the 110V circuit loads between the two hot service conductors at the breaker box?
Old 10-29-2001, 09:51 PM
LT4Coupe
Pro

Patrick, I'm also doing a restoration of my 67 engine compartment -- major detailing really. If you need to swap or compare notes, drop me a line. I noticed you have your hood off the car. If you get a chance, can you do me a favor and lay the hood flat on the floor and check the area near where the hood support goes? Does your hand slide underneath easily betwen the hood and floor? I'm trying to figure out if I need a new hood. Mine looks higher on the pasenger side near the hood support than it does on the other side where there is no hood support. If you can check, thanks a lot...if not...no problem. Nice garage.
Old 10-29-2001, 10:17 PM
pittsaj
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Reorganizing the Garage.... (LT4Coupe)

Damn nice house,,, I mean garage..

Actually the KWH meter will spin exactly the same speed in your example..
Remember the old formula...
Volts X Amps...
Assuming unity power factor...

Voltage is actually 120 volts not 110

120 X 10= 1200 watts
240 X 5 = 1200 watts

The meter actually measures both phase currents at 240 volts through 1/2 current coils..
Meter doesn't care if the load is balanced

You are corrct that a load (Motor) fed with 240 will draw half the current of the same size motor on 120..
Wire size can be smaller and runs have less loss.
Watts however will be the same

240 volt loads are connected phase to phase
120 volt loads are connected phase to ground (neutral)

I know... Who cares :lol: :sleep: :sleep:

Tony

[Modified by pittsaj, 6:20 PM 10/29/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Reorganizing the Garage....

Old 10-29-2001, 10:43 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Reorganizing the Garage.... (pittsaj)

JohnZ, you're a god! What a garage! I agree with your observation regarding car lifts. A friend bought one and, after stealing use several times, I agree- it kicks lying on the concrete with dirt falling into your eyes. For those of us with sensitive backs, it could be a life saver. Since I moved and don't have access to my buddy's anymore, I'm going to save my pennies for a while and get one.

On a somewhat related note, a guy I know added a storage cannister to his air system so when he's doing a big job, he throws the valve and lets his compressor fill both it's own tank and the storage cannister, more than doubling the capacity of air storage. I'm thinking of replicating this when I run sloping galvanized pipe around my garage, but instead of a storage tank, I was thinking of using a large diametre pipe hidden in the attic. Has anyone tried this (or similar) and how did it work?
Old 10-30-2001, 09:48 PM
six-T-six
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Wow... :eek: Does it have a sound system to play tunes?

The Ferrari Fridge is a nice touch! :cool:
Old 11-15-2001, 05:53 PM
Alex in Germany
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Garages!
I miss the garage I had in Arkansas. Nothing elaborate, but still 30X30. Over here the garages are so small that the 24' race car trailer I have in the States is much bigger. I wonder with the low interest rates if anyone is going to do some "home improvements" and build a dream garage?
Later,
Alex :chevy

Quick Reply: Reorganizing the Garage....