Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Useful DIY Tools

Old 10-08-2001, 12:27 AM
six-T-six
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05
Default Useful DIY Tools

In this thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=161783 GaryS showed his cost-saving homemade sandblaster. Anyone else have useful homemade tools/jigs they've used during their corvette resto/maintenance?
Old 10-08-2001, 01:22 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Default Re: Useful DIY Tools (six-T-six)

Here are a couple of simple homemade items that simplify my C1 maintenance:

1. Wooden "saddle" to jack up and support the rear of the engine while removing/reinstalling the transmission; it fits snugly on both sides of the pan and lifts the engine on the heads of the pan bolts, avoiding any damage to the pan itself (these C1 baffled/trap-door pans were discontinued three years ago, and are now very rare and expensive). It's made from a 9-1/2"-long piece of 2"x 6" and two pieces of 3/4" pine or plywood. The 2"x 6" forms the base, and the two side pieces are 9"-high and about 5-1/2" wide, to match the width of the 2"x 6", and the left side piece is notched out to clear the dipstick "bump" in the pan rail. The side pieces sit on top of the 2"x 6", and are attached from below with 4" wood screws. You slip it in place, jack under the center of the 2"x 6", and it supports the engine without contacting the pan at all; this supports the engine forward of the bellhousing and gives you room to work:

2. These are two guide studs made from 1/2"-13 x 3" bolts with the heads cut off, rounded on a grinder, with screwdriver slots made with a hacksaw. When removing or installing the transmission, they replace the two upper transmission-to-bellhousing bolts and aid in guiding the transmission in or out of place, support its weight, and avoid distorting the clutch disc. The orange plastic tool replaces the driveshaft yoke during the swap so trans lube doesn't dribble all over you while you're manhandling the transmission in or out.

Old 10-08-2001, 08:32 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Useful DIY Tools (JohnZ)

Thanks for some good tips, John. Hey, I am glad to see I am not the only one with stuff laying around with the front, right, left, rear, etc. marked with an appropriate letter designator. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 10-09-2001, 12:15 AM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Useful DIY Tools (JohnZ)

I particularly like the guide studs. There's nothing worse than trying to get everything lined up, particularly if you're working by yourself. Gonna build me a set of those next time I'm pulling a tranny.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:56 PM
rglick
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I realize this is an old post but does anyone have pictures of what this saddle looks like?

Get notified of new replies

To Useful DIY Tools

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Useful DIY Tools