Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Help - need radiator

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 09:27 AM
allenz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - need radiator

Does anyone know where I could find a used radiator for a '66 BB w/ manual trans? I need to replace the not quite correct one thats in there. My plan would be to have it recored so the condition of the cores is less important than the top and bottom.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

[Modified by allenz, 8:28 AM 9/24/2001]

[Modified by allenz, 8:29 AM 9/24/2001]
Old 09-24-2001, 09:57 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help - need radiator (allenz)

Allen, I am not sure what your car originally had in it or even what direction you want to go with respect to originality versus "store bought" but there are four routes to take. I will ASSUME that your car had an aluminum radiator although I am not certain about that.

Take a look at : http://www.dewitts.com/pages/index.asp

option 1. buy a reproduction Harrison aluminum radiator (reproduction copper/brass if that is what your car had)
option 2. buy a Griffin aluminum radiator
option 3. buy a Be Cool aluminum radiator
option 4. go to your local McParts store and buy a copper/brass radiator

That is the order I would go in. As I mentioned, I am not sure about the Harrison as an original for your car. I have a feeling in the back of my mind that the BB's didn't have aluminum radiators.

Secondly I would NEVER buy a used radiator from someone solely on the grounds of "why would someone even have a used radiator?" If the car was wrecked and the radiator pulled out, I wouldn't want it. It the radiator got replaced by a new one I wouldn't want it. Just my $.02.

Gary
Old 09-24-2001, 12:32 PM
allenz
Pro

Default Re: Help - need radiator (GaryS)

Gary,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I guess the bottom line is that I have plans for top flight, Bloomington, etc for this car, but at the same time I like to occasionally drive it.

I did speak with Tom DeWitt regarding his product offerings, and they really are not as correct as I require. I am not familiar with Harrison, but I will check them out.

As I am sure you are aware, there is insufficient cooling capacity for the big block. I know of several folks who have had a correct radiator recored with substantially more cooling capacity without affecting the exterior look of the unit. I would just like to do the same.
Old 09-24-2001, 02:00 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

ZIP Products might have your radiator and they're close -- next door at Mechanicsville.
Old 09-24-2001, 03:06 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

DeWitt's MAKES the Harrison radiator! I know from the small block point of view, the only way to get a more correct radiator is to buy an NOS unit. They don't come any closer than that.
Gary
Old 09-25-2001, 01:09 AM
Ron D
Burning Brakes

E mail me. I know a guy who has or had one a little while ago, he still may have it. I'll shoot you his email address.

[Modified by Ron D, 9:11 PM 9/24/2001]
Old 09-29-2001, 01:08 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Let me clear up a few things. DeWitts (me) reproduces the original Harrison radiators that were made in aluminum only. This includes the 3151116, 3155316, 3150916, and 3007436. All other cars, including 66-68 BB, used Brass/copper rads, which were also orignally manufactured by Harrison. Harrison, a former division of GM, is now Delphi Thermal systems, and no longer makes any b/c rads. For cars that were originally equiped with the brass/copper, we offer the Griffin racing rads. They are not "exactly" correct, but they work 30% better than b/c. I too am looking for the same radiator at the top of this thread for research in making an aluminum radaitor that does look like the factory b/c. If you guys know of anyone that has one (not recored) I'd be interested. The problem with the 66-68 rad is that it was too small, 22" core. They changed the BB rad in 69 to a 27.5" core. Another problem is if you "re-core" the original, you will still lose points at NCRS and Bloominton because the replacement cores have different top and bottom channels. So, if you're going to get points deducted, at least have a radiator that works in hot temps, that's aluminum.
Old 09-29-2001, 11:55 AM
Bryan Lee
Intermediate

Default Re: Help - need radiator (Tom DeWitt)

We're waiting patiently Tom. Put my order in for one when you start production.

bl

67 bb convert

Get notified of new replies

To Help - need radiator

Quick Reply: Help - need radiator