Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Need Help Restoring Engine Compartment of a 1974 Corvette...........

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 12:48 PM
74L82AirRoadster
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need Help Restoring Engine Compartment of a 1974 Corvette...........

Hello all,

It's been quite a while since I've posted here. Due to time constraints my project got put on hold for a few years. I'm working right now to get things moving again and I need a little help in the process.

I'm working on a 1974 Corvette roadster that has the entire engine compartment dissasembled. I restored most of the parts probably 5 years ago, wrapped them up and put them away, including the fasteners. The big problem is I just wrapped most of the fasteners up, not labeling all of them. What I'm looking for is some type of manual that details what fasteners are used to assemble and attach each item, including head markings and finish. Is there anything out there for this year of Corvette? Right now I have an assembly manual and a second edition NCRS Corvette Technical Information Manual and Judging Guide for the 1973-74 Corvette, but it doesn't contain this information. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Tony
Old 02-11-2006, 09:31 AM
74L82AirRoadster
Instructor

Hey guys,

I'm assuming there is nothing out there for this year of Corvette.......is there anything like this for any Corvette? As correct as some of the restorations out there are for the high dollar cars, I can't imagine there isn't information out there somewhere like this.

Again, any info is appreaciated!

Thanks!

Tony
Old 02-11-2006, 01:53 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

I picked up a bolt identification sheet from Paragon Reproductions. I picked it up at Carlisle but I am willing to bet it is also in their catalog. It shows a picture of a bolt with the head markings and then has a descriptionj of where it is used. They refer to the appropriate bolt in their catalog so you can buy it. But I am sure it will help you identify the bolts you have. Mine is laminated and I have it mounted on the wall next to my workbench. Comes in handy.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:33 AM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Tony, you might consider picking up the 70-72 TRMJG since it might be a bit more detailed than the 73-74. You could use that for a guide where information is available and where it's unlikely there's significant change.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:14 PM
74L82AirRoadster
Instructor

Buggsy1970,

Thanks for your info, I do appreciate it! I called Paragon today and ordered thier bolt identification sheet. I'm looking forward to getting it so I can get this project restarted!

mayberg,

Thanks again for your suggestion too. I'll work with the bolt sheet first and possibly order the 1970-72 manual too. This car doesn't have to be exactly correct, but I'd like to to be as close as possible and I'll take all the good info I can get!

Thanks!

Tony
Old 02-21-2006, 05:37 PM
74L82AirRoadster
Instructor

Hello all,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have gotten the bolt chart from Paragon and that should be a great help! Only problem is, the bolt I'm looking for isn't on the chart!

If anyone knows what the bolts I need to attach the headlight assemblies to the body look like, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Tony
Old 02-25-2006, 11:29 AM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Looking at the AIM for my 70 and my parts book it looks like the bolt is 1/4'-20 X1". no idea what the head markings are but it is not in a visable place so I would not go crazy over it.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help Restoring Engine Compartment of a 1974 Corvette...........

Quick Reply: Need Help Restoring Engine Compartment of a 1974 Corvette...........