Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Carpet Glue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 01:39 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Carpet Glue

The catalogs sell spray adhesive. The old original stuff in my car looks like a yellowish stringey thick applied dribbling all over with a brush kind of stuff. Maybe it was spray, but it would have come out like that silly string stuff. :D What do I need to buy to reglue all this carpeting? Can someone please give me a lead on something I can pick up at Pep Boys or Home Depot on my way home from work Monday? I don't want to deal with a spray which gets everywhere and would prefer something in a tube which looks and goes down more like the original stuff. Does GM sell glue in something other than factory sized quantities? :jester Thanks, ~Juliet
Old 08-06-2001, 02:29 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Carpet Glue (Juliet)

"something in a tube"...Juliet, I don't think you want to go there.

My experience with squeezing weatherstrip adhesive out of a tube is that the opening is small, the adhesive is very viscous, and it is difficult to get a large volume out of the tube quickly. Not only that, but the solvents in these type adhesives flash out very fast, meaning they dry quickly. When working with adhesives over large areas like carpet installation, my opinion is that you are going to have to get all your adhesive applied before the first applied goes completely stale. I know that the stuff is somewhat like contact adhesive in that you have to let it dry, but I think the carpet still has to be laid down while it is tacky.

What's wrong with using a spray can? If you want a highly local application with no overspray, just hold the nozzle close to the floor surface; the closer you hold it, the more local the application. Since the volume is still coming out the nozzle at pretty good clip, you will have to move the can faster to prevent too much accumulation in one spot.

OTOH, contact cement is a yellow, sticky, dribbly, highly volatile adhesive that you apply with a brush and it is not unlike what they used originally. But, I have never heard of anyone using it for carpet. One things for sure, if contact cement is used, you will only get one chance to lay it down right, and if you ever attempt to remove the carpet, you will tear it up in the removal.

At least the trim adhesive will permit you some flexibility to lift the carpet up to make an adjustment if needed.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:25 AM
Ron D
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Carpet Glue (Chuck Sangerhausen)

I have used both methods that Chuck mentioned. Contact cement will or should I say can cause a nightmare when placing the new rugs. It will look fine for a few days and then the carpet will get lumpy as it sets up. I use the spray on type on all my installs and as of yet had nothing but great results. If you need to touch up an area just pull it back and add a little more spray. So tell me, C-4 door caret or under dash :D
Old 08-06-2001, 08:15 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Carpet Glue (Ron D)

THanks Chuck. OK. I'll order the adhesive from Zip. Think I need 1 or two cans?

So tell me, C-4 door caret or under dash :D
Neither. New Carpet in the '70. THe front is staying put without glue. I need to glue the rear carpeting - ya know, Gravity and all that. :jester Thanks, ~Juliet
Old 08-06-2001, 09:37 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Juliet, I have been very happy with the 3M Spray adhesive when I did my 66 carpeting and touched up some loose spots on the 72. This is a great product and the nozzle can be rotated to give either a vertical or horizontal spray pattern. My neighbor used the same product in his 73 and he is happy with it three years later.
Gary
Old 08-06-2001, 10:43 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

The really nice thing about the 3M stuff is that you can buy it just about anywhere, even WalMart. Before you order the stuff and pay shipping and the other charges, check locally, it will probably be cheaper and if you run out, you can always go buy some more.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:50 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Carpet Glue (Smokehouse69Mark2)

I've used 3m Super adhesive. This stuff can't hold a candle to a product called Trim Tack. Comes in an aerosol can, spray both surfaces, let it get tacky and apply. Best get it right the first time, 'cause this stuff STICKS.

One downside, ya can't get it anywhere other than the big vette shows. :(
Old 08-06-2001, 12:40 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: Carpet Glue (GDaina)

3M makes two different spray adhesives - "General Trim Adhesive" and "Super Trim Adhesive", available at any major auto parts chain. The General adhesive works great on your application, the Super is made for things like vinyl tops
Old 08-07-2001, 03:41 PM
Brass
Instructor

Default Re: Carpet Glue (JohnZ)

Topic change/evolution...

The carpets in the '66 are original and in superb condition, but have tended to droop (the glue has let go). If I carefull remove the carpet, what are the chances of my getting new jute to put down and put the old, cleaned carpet back on top?

Bill
Old 08-08-2001, 04:39 PM
Brass
Instructor

Default Re: Carpet Glue (Patrick Tighe)

Patrick,

Why so? Doesn't anyone produce the jute?

Damn, I like sunfire yellow. What a great color for a Vette.

[Modified by Brass, 9:45 PM 8/8/2001]
Old 08-08-2001, 06:37 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

I'll agree with the *itch to install deal. :smash: The ACC carpet has the stuff 'jute' applied already. It's more of a greyish color than the tanish color of the original. But it's still a composition of smushed together recycled thread bits and stuff like the original. ~Juliet
Old 08-08-2001, 11:09 PM
3X2-427
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jules Kid:

Forget Zip, drive on down to Home Dezpo, buy a can of 3M "900" spray contact cement. it is by far the best and has an adjustable nozzle, this stuff is the real deal from glue people, does that describe Vin the P...stuck on himself??? :cool:
Old 08-09-2001, 12:02 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Carpet Glue (3X2-427)

Yo. Junior member Jer Ol' Bud of mine.... Wipe your mouth off. You've got slobber on it. :U :U

THanks. Got some right here. :D ~Juliet
Old 08-09-2001, 09:20 AM
3X2-427
Pro

Alright with the "junior member" crap, I still use the kiddie urinal in an effort to maintain my youthful appearence :smash:
Old 08-09-2001, 09:22 AM
3X2-427
Pro

I could start doing Daleisums....P.S., Addendum....BTW.....I'll get to the seniors section soon enough....HEY TROY HELP ME OUT HERE, there will be something in your pay envelope
Old 08-09-2001, 10:01 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Troy has nothing to do with it Jerry. You see, us 'old timers' on this board all get together and we take a vote to see who earns the title of "Senior Member" and who gets to stay "Junior Member." :D :D :D Of course if you send us all some nice rare NOS parts it wouldn't hurt. We are afterall bribeable. :blueangel:
Old 08-09-2001, 02:30 PM
Brass
Instructor

Thanks for the low-down. I'm hoping that since I will be using the original carpet (just cleaned) it will 'fall' into place more easily.
Yeah right...

:lol:

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Carpet Glue

Old 08-09-2001, 02:37 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Carpet Glue (Brass)

I'm hoping that since I will be using the original carpet (just cleaned) it will 'fall' into place more easily.
Actually you have it pretty easy then. :D It's already shaped, and creased and tucked and trimmed and all that jazz. ~Juliet
Old 08-09-2001, 05:20 PM
Brass
Instructor

Having posted that, I got 'inspired' to go over and try to give it a thorough cleaning. In addition to successfully raising the convertable roof for the first time since 1971, I found that the carpet vacuumed clean and the jute is intact. There is a minor rip in the passenger side, but what the hell, can't have everything.

Juliet - more photos are on the way...
Old 08-09-2001, 05:38 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Carpet Glue (Brass)

Juliet - more photos are on the way...
Sounds neat-o about the top going up without disintegrating. :jester

Send on the pics! I have 2 corvette club picnics this weekend and I need to finish up the '70 before then... so it might be a day or two before I can update your web page... Plus I need to WASH the '87 before the picnic! Yikes!

Quick Reply: Carpet Glue