F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Using an aftermarket C7 BBK on F-body?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 07:52 PM
JimMueller
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Using an aftermarket C7 BBK on F-body?

I currently have a 416 LS3, already planning for more displacement and I am okay paying for 'ultimate' brakes for track days. I found the following YouTube video on how to mount C7 calipers on an F-Body. What's the likelihood that an aftermarket big brake kit designed for the C7 Corvette would also correctly mount to an F-body since the OEM C7 solution works with minor changes? I currently use a C6 caliper with C6 standard rotor; the kit I've saved for is an Essex 9660/355 or 9668/355. Some people spend 3-4K on heads, I'm okay spending 4K+ on the BBK. I've already verified that the 9660/355 template fits my Forgestar F14 18x11 wheels, I would need to check the 9668.

The math says the BBK would restore the OEM brake balance even though I also have a rear brake proportioning valve. I've spoken with an EssexParts reseller who is very familiar with the F-body chassis, but he's leery of me undertaking this project because Essex doesn't offer a native kit for an F-Body. Funds aren't a problem, but I don't want this project to become a nightmare either.

Known possible challenges:
* I believe the F-body chassis-side brake hose connection is different than the C6, unsure about the C7. Essex has no reference to the type of chassis-side connection that would be needed and the OEM FBody parts guide is not terribly helpful with dimensions. I could buy a new set of Fbody<>C6 front brake cables and send them to Essex and they could relay it to Spiegler.
* I use a 4-bolt to 3-bolt hub adapter to use SKF hubs, and the track width doesn't change. ABS is maintained.
* My C6 conversion uses an adapter that required cutting off one ear off each steering knuckle. The adapter bracket mounts to the 4 holes on the back of the knuckle; those bolts go through to the 4-bolt hub adapter on the other side of the knuckle. I think 1) simply replacing the steering knuckle with my good used unmolested steering knuckles would be better than 2) attempting to keep the one-eared knuckles & existing adapter and using a C6 Essex kit. Less complexity.
* F-body steering knuckle abutment bracket holes need to be enlarged from 12mm to 14mm to accept C7 caliper. Unsure whether the Essex kit uses the same bolt sizes.
* If Essex would be okay with it, I'm fine driving from FL to NC and paying them to validate the design.

So, parts cost aside, how much am I biting off here?
Old 04-07-2021, 03:15 PM
JimMueller
Advanced

I spoke with Mike O'Neill, design engineer at Essex. He's also leery of the assumption that just because the C7 kit will work, the C7 aftermarket kit will also work. He's going to ask some co-workers to see if they have any acquaintances with 4th Gen's to see if they'd be willing to bring their car in to be measured in lieu of me driving 8 hours each way. He estimates the measurements would take up to 4 hours. If Essex doesn't have anything already designed to fit our measurements, then it's a no go. Much too expensive to build one-off solutions. I don't suppose anyone here is real close to Charlotte NC that may be interested in helping me out by taking your car over to Essex to be measured?
Old 04-07-2021, 08:16 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Hey Jim. Not sure what cost would be acceptable in the community. Unfortunately, as time goes on the market gets smaller and smaller.

BTW, I'm out in Lakeland. Do you take your car to Sebring? I was down for the Trans Am series.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:51 PM
JimMueller
Advanced

I wouldn't expect the help for free, I'd want to negotiate to make it worth their time.

It's been years since I've been to Sebring. Engine failed in 2019, and I made a poor choice on the local shop to perform the rebuild. Engine seems okay but I've been chasing gremlins ever since I got the car back. I think it's stable now and due to the increased displacement I desire to make some additional upgrades. It'd be great to hang out down there with some forum friends, feel free to PM me if you would like to meet down there at an event. It takes me about 45 minutes in light traffic to reach the I-4/US27 interchange.

If Essex falls through, opinions on the next best aftermarket BBK design? Wilwood, StopTech, etc?

Last edited by JimMueller; 04-07-2021 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:13 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

I thought you were asking what someone would pay. If I was to race my car I certainly would like to upgrade the brakes. If was close to get my car measurements I'd do it for free to help you out.

I would like to go to an event and actually take a car. Be a lot of fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Using an aftermarket C7 BBK on F-body?

Quick Reply: Using an aftermarket C7 BBK on F-body?