F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

ProCharger opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 11:21 AM
tims93
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default ProCharger opinions wanted

I’m going to test drive a Camaro after a summer of not finding a C5 I could love.

Specs: 2011 2SS convertible, six speed manual, 15000 miles, one owner, clean car fax. ProCharger installed allegedly pushing the HP to 600.

I really like the car but I’ve never considered a modded car because I’m not a guy that knows enough to be in the garage wrenching or tuning, although I do know a couple of friends who are pretty sharp.

Original owner passed away and his wife is selling through a local dealership. They supposedly have all the paperwork associated with the install and they will have it available for me to view.
My concerns are about maintaining a car with a ProCharger. Is there additional maintenance involved that I’m not aware and does it require tuning after everything is set up? Is there any specific things I should look for in the paperwork or checkout when I test drive the car? After seeing the car I’m certain it was well cared for and not abused. If a guy of my limited mechanical ability should just avoid a modded car don’t be afraid to say so, l can take it. BTW, I have reached out to my friends and they just say “buy it” if the paper work is there and I like driving it but I would like an unbiased opinion to balance the voices out.
Thanks in advance, Tim
​​​​​​
Old 10-29-2019, 05:28 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

A lot depends on the condition of the car, who did the install, the paper trail, and if all the stars align. If you can't work on it yourself some simple issues will cause you heartache. Not sure how much they are asking but if you want that kind of power in a 5th gen buy a used ZL1. Plenty of stock ones out there.

Yes, it has to be tuned after the installation of the procharger. Does it also have exhaust? I would hope so.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:48 AM
tims93
Melting Slicks

I’ve seen the car just haven’t driven it yet. Condition appears to be excellent. The ProCharger install looks nice and clean but I haven’t seen the paperwork yet to know who did the install. Not sure if any exhaust work has been done, I’ll have to ask.
What kind of small things do you think will cause the heartache as compared to a stock LS3?
ZL1 is out of my budget, Thanks!
Old 11-04-2019, 04:05 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

You can get a 5th gen ZL1 for under $30k. How much is this car?

The things that can have issue are if the crank wasn't pinned, I have seen some that like to throw belts. If it doesn't have exhaust on it the thing is choked. And the bestest thing is keeping your foot out of it.

More power through a stock clutch than designed is rough but if you're easy on it you will have lots of trouble free miles. I think 2010 had the weaker half shafts, but don't quite me.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:43 PM
tims93
Melting Slicks

Thanks, appreciate it!

Get notified of new replies

To ProCharger opinions wanted

Quick Reply: ProCharger opinions wanted