F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Is this cheap z28 worth getting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:07 PM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this cheap z28 worth getting?

http://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/4614846214.html

There is a 1994 z28 on craigslist for 2000. It is in fair condition, paint is pretty good, interior is a little rough. It needs a new windshield because it is cracked. The guy also tells me the transmission leaks and slips into gear, "but it just needs a new sensor" Would a bad sensor really be causing leaking and slipping?
I said I would consider doing 1600$ for it. He said he would take it. If It is really just a sensor that needs replacing that wouldn't be hard to fix. But would a bad sensor really be causing those problems? I could buy a windshield and replace the sensor and have a decent and fun car for less than $2000. But the transmission sounds worse than just a sensor to me. He tells me the tranny was also rebuilt last year.
Is this worth getting into? Or does it sound like more problems then he's letting on to?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:51 PM
kcust62
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettesforevor
http://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/4614846214.html

There is a 1994 z28 on craigslist for 2000. It is in fair condition, paint is pretty good, interior is a little rough. It needs a new windshield because it is cracked. The guy also tells me the transmission leaks and slips into gear, "but it just needs a new sensor" Would a bad sensor really be causing leaking and slipping?
I said I would consider doing 1600$ for it. He said he would take it. If It is really just a sensor that needs replacing that wouldn't be hard to fix. But would a bad sensor really be causing those problems? I could buy a windshield and replace the sensor and have a decent and fun car for less than $2000. But the transmission sounds worse than just a sensor to me. He tells me the tranny was also rebuilt last year.
Is this worth getting into? Or does it sound like more problems then he's letting on to?
Doesn't look to bad in the photos...KBB price at $1600 is right on. If you're a do-it-yourselfer and want a project, I'd say go for it. You won't know what sensor he is referring to until you connect a diagnostic tool and download fault codes. As far as a "sensor" causing the tranny leak, I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life, unless the oil is running through a damaged sensor itself.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Assume it needs a new/rebuild transmission and go from there...
Old 08-14-2014, 01:47 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by kcust62
... As far as a "sensor" causing the tranny leak, I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life, unless the oil is running through a damaged sensor itself.

But there are a couple of "plugs" for the computer, that go into the tranny case.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this cheap z28 worth getting?

Quick Reply: Is this cheap z28 worth getting?