F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

1986 Z28 700R4 Leaks bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 08:19 PM
корвет
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1986 Z28 700R4 Leaks bad

Originally posted at by me Joey1986Z at thirdgen.org:

Hello,

Been a while. Looks like I haven't logged in here since Oct. 2008!

I purchased my Z28 new in 1986. It was built a year earlier September 1985. I found the build sheet 15 years after buying the car under the rear seat!

LG4/700R4.

In June 2007 the car had 336,000 miles. No major engine or transmission work had ever been done to this car (got my money's worth!).
It did at that time have a small ATF leak, about a quart every month or so. It appeared to leak more when parked for a few days. It had been that way for years.

The car was stolen mid June 2007 and recovered 2 weeks later. The radio and Qjet were gone. I towed it home and had a spare Qjet around and put it on the car. Started it up and proceeded to move, car would not. Severe, spraying ATF leak from TC area. Evidently the punks (never caught) who stole it, joy rode it and blew the trans. I took the trans out and changed the $3 pump seal. Put it all back in and it still leaked as bad. In early 2008 I took the trans out again and replaced the $3 pump bushing and another $3 pump seal. The leak was reduced significantly, but still a stream, and the car
could be driven a few miles until the ATF gets low. The car has more or less been parked since then. I do start it about once a year and drive it a few miles around the block. Does fine, you have to add 4-5 qts. of ATF to get it to go.

I know with this many miles, and it being sat 6 years a total rebuild is in order. I actually rebuilt my 1995 Corvette (with only half the miles [3-4 clutch pack]) 4L60E successfully so I know I can do the job; however, what is causing the leak? A bushing further down the pump? can the TC itself leak? The leak is coming from the pump/TC area.

Thanks for your help. I'd like to get this car I purchased as a teenager (now in mid forties) on the road before it rust/rots away.

Quick Reply: 1986 Z28 700R4 Leaks bad