F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

$ 10,000 over sticker ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:44 PM
2002fb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default $ 10,000 over sticker ?

At 112 Chevy today getting my waterpump replaced on my 2007 Vette, at 11,500 miles ( WTF !). Not only was it leaking but it failed, leaking out of weap hole.
Anyway they have a ZL1 Camaro in the showroom for $ 10,000 over sticker. Are you serious ? Does anybody really pay over sticker for cars nowadays ? This is why I and many people hate dealers, they are shady, I hope the ZL1 sits in the showroom for 12 months at that price. Rant is over, bad day.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:49 PM
petes ZO6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002fb
At 112 Chevy today getting my waterpump replaced on my 2007 Vette, at 11,500 miles ( WTF !). Not only was it leaking but it failed, leaking out of weap hole.
Anyway they have a ZL1 Camaro in the showroom for $ 10,000 over sticker. Are you serious ? Does anybody really pay over sticker for cars nowadays ? This is why I and many people hate dealers, they are shady, I hope the ZL1 sits in the showroom for 12 months at that price. Rant is over, bad day.
$10,000 over? Thats crazy. I with you, I hope it sits there for a long time while they pay interest on the floor plan.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:55 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

.... leaking out of weap hole.

Anyway they have a ZL1 Camaro in the showroom for $ 10,000 over sticker. Are you serious ? ...
Ah, that would be 'weep' hole maybe.

As to the car over sticker: You were not buying, so why do you care? Yes, cars are sold at over sticker yet. I guess you have not been shopping for a "hot" car recently.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:05 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Btw if your not under warranty complain hard enough and you'll get Chevy to cover the replacement for you. I have an 06 and had my water pump replaced a couple of weeks ago. Only 21k on the clock. My service manager went to bat for me and had gm take care of the costs of both that and the harmonic balancer. No warranty on my car.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 789 Likes on 533 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

In early March I was at a Checvy dealer in north Denver buying my "new" 2011 Z06/Z07 at $20K under sticker...the salesman told me that they had two ZL1 Camaros coming in and both were already sold at $10,000 over sticker...let's see now, a Camaro for $10K over or a Z06 for $20K under...hmmm...guess which one I would choose???
Old 04-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,969 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Around a major US City? No surprise there. Given that production has been halted on the ZL1 and prior to that there weren't enough for every US Chevy dealer to get EVEN ONE, it doesn't surprise me that they would "try" to get over sticker becasue they are going to be rare this year.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Grainraiser
Racer

It's all based on supply and demand. People are willing to pay 10k over sticker for a car they really want.

Reggie
Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Remember the 2006 Z06? People were paying a lot more than 10K over so that means the same people will pay 10K over for that Camaro. Dumb but it's reality.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over sticker, a fool and his money....
Old 04-25-2012, 05:37 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brooklync5
Btw if your not under warranty complain hard enough and you'll get Chevy to cover the replacement for you. I have an 06 and had my water pump replaced a couple of weeks ago. Only 21k on the clock. My service manager went to bat for me and had gm take care of the costs of both that and the harmonic balancer. No warranty on my car.
Oh, that "shady" dealer went to bat for you and helped you? Imagine that... I know you didn't call the dealers shady, it just gets me tired when every time someone sees a price they don't like, the dealer is to blame, even though they have the perogative to walk away any time. It is a business, and they have the right to ask anything they want. A buyer has the right to not pay it. And, you know, I bet if every customer just walked in and paid sticker, no dealer would ask for over sticker on anything, but we don't..... It is a buyers right to ask for a discount, and the dealers right to ask for a markup...

By the way, if you are going to ask the dealer for help in service, I suggest you don't call them shady while you are doing it...
Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

In today's market, where everyone is getting big discounts and buying vehicles a few hundred over net cost, when the dealer has a car he can make some real money on, what do you expect? he is probably only getting one, might as well make as much as you can on it....
Old 04-25-2012, 05:44 PM
petes ZO6
Racer

Originally Posted by Licit
Over sticker, a fool and his money....

A dealer can ask any price. The guy that pays it is the fool.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:44 PM
petes ZO6
Racer

Originally Posted by Dlinderman
Around a major US City? No surprise there. Given that production has been halted on the ZL1 and prior to that there weren't enough for every US Chevy dealer to get EVEN ONE, it doesn't surprise me that they would "try" to get over sticker becasue they are going to be rare this year.
Good info.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you owned the dealership, and you were only going to get one ZL1 for a half a year or so, and you had to worry about paying bills and employee salaries coming out of a recession, I bet you would consider asking a premium for the ZL1.

There's really nothing shady about it. It's their asset, and they get to charge whatever they want.

Now if someone agrees to buy it at $10k over, and the the dealer added on undercarriage protection, and vin etching for the glass, and paint protection, and charged for them, saying "oh - we already added those to the car, so you have to pay for them"....

We have a few dealers like that around here...
Old 04-25-2012, 05:52 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Lots of buyers pay over sticker for limited production vehicles and those who want to be the first on the block
Old 04-25-2012, 06:01 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

This is the matter of supply and demand. ZL1 is brand new, dealers hope to cash in on its novelty. No doubt many will be doing the exact same thing on 427 convertibles... And yes, paying over the sticker still happens, just not as often. Also, think about it: if you negotiate on over MSRP price, the sticker price will sound like a great deal to some.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:02 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

At 112 Chevy today getting my waterpump replaced on my 2007 Vette, at 11,500 miles ( WTF !). Not only was it leaking but it failed, leaking out of weep hole.
I recently mentioned in another thread that Vette water pumps are of a very inferior design (due to their inferior mechanical face seal) and have an average life of about 30,000 miles. Other less informed individuals on this Forum took strong issue with me. No well designed water pump should fail in less than 100,000 miles. How do I know? Because I designed the mechanical face seal that Chrysler installed in their 4 Liter Jeep engine water pump; the only engine out of a score they had in production which had ZERO water pump warranty failures. ZERO. By the way, I have been issued sixteen U.S.A. patents on seals and pumps, and have worked extensively with GM, Ford and Chrysler on the subject, all of whom used my designs on some of their higher performance engines (including earlier Vettes), wrote a technical text book and numerous magazine articles on the subject, and still continue as a paid consultant for major international companies to this day, even though I "retired" over three years ago. Anyway, I feel your pain.

Last edited by laconiajack; 04-25-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To $ 10,000 over sticker ?

Old 04-25-2012, 06:05 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by laconiajack
I recently mentioned in another thread that Vette water pumps are of a very inferior design (due to their inferior mechanical face seal) and have an average life of about 30,000 miles. Other less informed individuals on this Forum took strong issue with me. No well designed water pump should fail in less than 100,000 miles. How do I know? Because I designed the mechanical face seal that Chrysler installed in their 4 Liter Jeep engine water pump; the only engine out of a score they had in production which had ZERO warranty failures. ZERO. By the way, I have been issued sixteen U.S.A. patents on seals and pumps, and have worked extensively with GM, Ford and Chrysler on the subject, all of whom used my designs on some of their higher performance engines (including earlier Vettes), wrote a technical text book and numerous magazine articles on the subject, and still continue as a paid consultant for major international companies to this day, even though I "retired" over three years ago. Anyway, I feel your pain.
WTF? Why do you have to be so depressing?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 PM
petes ZO6
Racer

I recently mentioned in another thread that Vette water pumps are of a very inferior design (due to their inferior mechanical face seal) and have an average life of about 30,000 miles. Other less informed individuals on this Forum took strong issue with me. No well designed water pump should fail in less than 100,000 miles. How do I know? Because I designed the mechanical face seal that Chrysler installed in their 4 Liter Jeep engine water pump; the only engine out of a score they had in production which had ZERO water pump warranty failures. ZERO. By the way, I have been issued sixteen U.S.A. patents on seals and pumps, and have worked extensively with GM, Ford and Chrysler on the subject, all of whom used my designs on some of their higher performance engines (including earlier Vettes), wrote a technical text book and numerous magazine articles on the subject, and still continue as a paid consultant for major international companies to this day, even though I "retired" over three years ago. Anyway, I feel your pain.
Here we go again..Same old song..Same old dance..
Old 04-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,969 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I recently mentioned in another thread that Vette water pumps are of a very inferior design....
...and what the heck does this have to do with the OP? In case we forgot to mention in another thread, WHO CARES!!

Quick Reply: $ 10,000 over sticker ?