F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

My new '69 Camaro... replacing the Vette

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:25 PM
turbo_tom
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new '69 Camaro... replacing the Vette

I went and looked at the car a few days ago. In a nutshell, the 1969 Chevy Camaro is the vehicle solely responsible for me getting into cars in the first place. My best friend was subscribed to Chevy Power and there was a 1st Gen Camaro special issue I came accross when I was about 13 years old. It was love at first sight. Ever since, I have still thought it is one of the best looking cars ever made. I should have gotten one instead of the Vette in the first place but hindsight is always 20/20, so what can I do...

Over the past 3 weeks I have been online every night for hours looking for the perfect car for me. I wanted a driver, not a garage queen. Something that's not numbers-matching, that I won't be afraid of actually enjoying. Yeah, a non-original resto might not appreciate in value as rapidly, but it sure as hell won't depreciate (Case in point: my 3-year-old $55,000 car that is now worth $35-$40k). Plus, the classics always have so much more character than new cars...

So here are some pics, and believe me, they do the car no justice. Exterior is 9/10, basically as good as you can get on a 2 yr old paint job without spending $10,000+. Interior is a 9.5/10 and looks brand new. The owner clearly took a lot of pride in restoring this car. Below is a breif description of what the car has:

The engine is a 350 with AFR 195cc aluminum heads, a Comp Cam w/ .490 of lift, Hooker Super Comp Headers with ceramic coating, Power Master mini starter, double roller timing chain, Quickfuel Q jet, 750 mechanical secondaries carb, MSD distributer and wires, MSD 6AL Box, Blaster coil, hardend push rods. all of the above was installed within the last 2 months. Motor has approximately 20,000 on lower end. The tranny is a TH350 with a shift kit and B&M hole shot 2400 stall. It was rebuilt 2800 Miles ago. Rear End is a 10 Bolt Chevy Auburn gear limited slip diff with strange street/strip axels with richmond 355 gears, completely rebuilt 2800 miles ago. The body has new fenders, 2 inch cowl induction Hood, lower valance, header panel, inner fender wells, grill, head lights, tail lights all marker lights, hood hinges, front fender extensions, door handles, mirror, new quarter panel patches, front and rear bumpers, gas tank, side leuvers, weather stripping kit, rockers, trunk, floors all in great shape. New american thunder 2.5 flow master exhaust with stainless tips, front suspension rebuilt, front body bushings replaced and all new calipers, rotors, pads, and trunk carpet. The paint is PEPPER GREY, the same exact color as Elenor in Gone in 60 Seconds, with Black stripes. The interior is all new, with a custom gauge package, auto meter ultra light gauges with a Covan's classic dash insert, B&M pro ratchet shifter, and a Grant steering wheel. The car has MB WHEELS 16 inch rims with Yokahama tires. This Car has no heat or A/C, and the fire wall has been shaved for neater apperance.

And the pics:

The car sure as hell doesn't drive as nice as my Vette and isn't nearly as fast (probably around 425 bhp and 200lbs heavier) but she has character that goes a long way. It's an auto car, which was neither my first choice nor a major deciding factor. This is a cruiser/show car with some nut... it ain't gonna hang anywhere near most of the modern cars out there in a race. The car is insured for $35,000 right now, and I plan on upping it by a few grand every year or so if they let me. My 12 month rate is $317 which is awesome. Can't beat full coverage insurance on a non-depreciating car for $26 a month!

Anyway, I love the car... it's been my dream car since I was a kid and I feel extremely lucky to have found such a nice *affordable* specimen. See you guys on the road...
Old 10-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Kerry G
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

That is an awesome car!! I'd love to have one but I'd have to make sure I got a reliable one.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:04 PM
cheetah66
Racer

Nice looking ride , great color combo . Wish my '69 looked that good. Enjoy the new toy!
Old 10-07-2007, 10:41 PM
turbo_tom
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys. The car is definately going to take some getting used to... It definately takes more effort to drive than the Vette. But I think after I get her registered on Tuesday and put in some more seat time I'll get used to it. Ultimately I'd love to make this thing a real pro touring car, with a big brake kit, modern suspension, tighter steering, etc. I plan on keeping it for a long time (said that about my Vette, too), but with this I literally have nothing to lose with time on my side regarding depreciation...
Old 10-08-2007, 07:29 AM
superstreet
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Very nice find! Sweet looking car!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I can't wait to see it in person!!! Congratulations Tom!!

Who knows, maybe in the near future, you'll get back into a vette as a "daily driver". C5's keep dropping in price.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

I still have my High school car...........1968 Camaro Coupe.
I paid $2900 for back in 1980..........It is a rolling CD looking at it from an investment viewpoint.........but I also still race it
Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All the best Tom!

Ironically, my first love was with the Z-28. Fast Times At Ridgemont High. Mannn, that silver "Z" still gives me goosebumps! I wanted an '80 or '81 Z in the worst way back in about 88 or 89. I settled for a castrated MINT '80 T/A with a 4.9 That didn't last long as I found a slightly warmed over Sky Blue '80 Z-28 which I traded my T/A for straight up. The guy who bought the T/A wanted to do a 350 chev conversion.

I then had two mustangs after the Z, but smartened up and came back to the bowtie in the form of a C4(blue LPE 'vette) and of course bought the Z06.

[EDIT] Here are a few photos(Sorry about the poor quality, I didn't take many pics of my cars back then)
The T/A:

The Z-28:

Again, good luck with your new toy and ENJOY IT!!

Last edited by J Z06; 10-10-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:37 PM
turbo_tom
Melting Slicks

Thanks, J.

You going to the range anytime soon...? I haven't fired the Kimber in a while. Shoot me a PM...
Old 10-10-2007, 10:09 PM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good!!!

But its sad to see you leave the vette world.

That is going to be a world of a difference..

What did u do with your c6 ?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:33 AM
BradSW
Team Owner

Location: From San Diego to Bentonville, AR.....WTF was I thinking?!? Oh yeah, that free state thingy!
Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Your car is gorgeous!!! I am lealous.

My first car was a '67 Camaro, dark blue with a white nose stripe and a 327 with auto. I LOVED that car. Bought it in '71 for $1225 and sold it two years later for $1100 due to gas mileage and my commute to school. Still kicking myself.

Enjoy
Old 10-11-2007, 07:07 AM
turbo_tom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by corvettedan22
Looks good!!!

But its sad to see you leave the vette world.

That is going to be a world of a difference..

What did u do with your c6 ?
The C6 is being prepped for sale. Parting out the turbo kit, going back to stock wheels, etc. I will have another vette one day...
Old 10-11-2007, 09:51 AM
ruf455
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Nice, very nice. It's nice to have somthing that in the least HOLDS it's value.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:03 PM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

Yo Tom, that is a schweeeeet toy!

It's gonna take some gettin' used to as comparred to the C6 but those early S/S's have character!

Best of luck with her & enjoy!

One big plus is it don't have three computers just to move the windows!

Tom

P.S. Ya bringing her to the run on Sat????? Man throw an air bag kit on her & she'll corner! or if ya can find an old Mulhulland kit....god I'm old school!
Old 10-29-2007, 02:25 PM
NorthTexasVette
Le Mans Master

After reading the title I was going to say "are you crazy, keep the vette", but after seeing that car I have changed my mind. that is one bada$$ car.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

I think you made a GREAT decision here.

1. In this car you get what you REALLY want vs just want in the Corvette.

2. Your argument that this car will be kinder to your wallet is undeniable.

3. This might be the prettiest Camaro I've seen in some-time.

Congratulations!

OK.........so much for the positive stuff.

Some-where in the whole-heartedly positive love-fest for your new car somebody really should find at least SOMETHING wrong with your car.

I know I'll probably be in the minority here but if it were me I think I'd lose the dash inserts and gages. They kinda leave me "COLD" ........I have no doubt they're easier to read, probably more accurate and just from looking at the rest of the pictures.......I'm sure the installation is FIRST RATE but I just don't care for the look.

Feel sort of silly for mentioning it .......sure seems like a small problem for an otherwise perfect Camaro.

Get notified of new replies

To My new '69 Camaro... replacing the Vette

Quick Reply: My new '69 Camaro... replacing the Vette