Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

rocker clearance question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 11:40 AM
bob
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default rocker clearance question

I am just putting together another 355 for the vette. It has world motown 220 heads, arp head studs and roller rockers. I didn't put all the studs in during pre assemble so didn't notice this problem. With the studs in finger tight the intake rockers contact or are real close to the head studs. There is lots of stud out beyond the nut so I am going to take those out and turn the ends off on the lathe. Question is how much clearance do you think would be enough to allow for any flexing? I was thinking about .060. Second question is would it still keep the head torqued square if I took out 1 at a time and retorqued or should I loosen all the nuts and retorque in the proper sequence?
bob
Old 07-17-2004, 07:35 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Are you using the Comp SS rockers with the big trunion ?

Is everything torqued down and the pushrods installed and lash is set ?

Are you unsing a shim ( thinner ) head gasket ?

Was the block decked or heads shaved. ?

What part of the rocker is close to the stud ?

The studs might go in further if you use a hex key in the end.

The reason for so many question was I thought I was going to have problems with my Comp Hi Tech roller rockers, looked like no clearance at all between the trunion and the end of the stud but when I finally bolted and torqued everything down there was lots of room.

Oh and your questions, 0.040" should be enough, and I would just take the head off and redo the whole thing if you find you have to talke some off the studs you can reuse most Flepro head gaskets before firing the motor up.

Last edited by MotorHead; 07-17-2004 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:08 AM
bob
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ended up taking those ( 4 each side) and trimming them on the lathe. It was the main boss below the trunion that was the trouble area. My rockers are a summit brand but don't know who made them ( me bad). I am using a .041 gasket and block is decked .018. After I got everything back and set up I think I would have had the .040 clearance without doing anything. Done now. Thanks for the reply.
bob

Get notified of new replies

To rocker clearance question

Quick Reply: rocker clearance question