Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

350 stock cast short block, quench?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 02:25 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
It just occured to me that one possible reason is I
have never run a vacuum advance can. I think with the vacuum can you can
exceed 50deg advance at low RPMs, maybe that is where the probelm is.

To set or check the total advance, the vacuum line should be unplugged and blocked. For dyno testing or the track, there is vurtually no vacuum available at WOT. Vacuum advance really only comes into play at cruise, and for mpg considerations.

Originally Posted by EddieJ82
Moter head whats your secret, those are some extremly high timing #'s for
the compressions you are talking about. I struggle to get mine to run without
detonation at 33 degrees.
If it is making good power, that is exactly
what I'm talking about.

RACE ON!!!

Last edited by CFI-EFI; 07-08-2004 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:16 PM
EDDIEJ82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I'm making excellent power. I'm not worried about the total amount timing I'm running.

I have a pro billet mechanical w/no vacum advance. I would like to have the ramp come in sooner so that it will rev faster on 93. I tried the lightest silver springs on 93 once and it rattled like rocks in a coffee can. On race gas it's fine, but I can't afford $5 a gallon for everyday use. So I've compromised and run 1 light silver and 1 blue spring on the street and I change it back to the 2 silvers at the track, and then I can lean out the carb some too. If I was running a point less compression I could probably set it to run on the street or track the same and not have to do so much switching around. But oh well, I wouldn't want to give up the power that I get from that extra point, I like it!
Old 07-11-2004, 05:26 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Quote:
I think the piston slap he was referring to was piston to head which is another valid concern with a small distance above the piston.

I imagine that is what he was referring to. But THAT is not "piston slap". The piston hitting the head makes a knock. Trust me on that one. And THAT is the reason for the .035" to .040" minimum piston to head spec. RACE ON!!!

Yea right, pistons hitting the head can't be called slap. NOT Just more snot? If that ain't ?? Like you can find a different definition of piston knock when Google can't? Google posts describe piston knock as the same as piston slap. Get real.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:36 PM
EDDIEJ82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Google is wrong

Piston slap is when the piston rocks in the bore, Piston knock is detonation or the shock wave that occurs with preignition of the gas in the cylinder.

Two entirely diffrent things.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:20 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
Yea right, pistons hitting the head can't be called slap. NOT Just more snot? If that ain't ?? Like you can find a different definition of piston knock when Google can't? Google posts describe piston knock as the same as piston slap. Get real.
Google is a tech site? I thought they were a search engine. One can find many erroneous posts on the Internet. Your's is a prime example.

YOU can call it anything you want, but if you want to be understood by the engine aficionado community, you ought to call it by what is universally recognized. You might care to get edjamacted, before you spout off. Are YOU through with that poor horse, yet?

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-17-2004, 02:52 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Enjoying yourselves? This is continuing to be an interesting topic. I decided to go ahead with steel gaskets and have no problems so far. I actually started out running Regular 87 which was already in the tank with no detonation I could tell. I'm running midgrade now just to be safe. With 64cc chambers and the gaskets, I went from 8:1 to 9.4:1 static CR.

It runs pretty bad right now, with the untuned qjet, but I'll get her sorted out. Thanks for the advice guys, keep it up

-Chris
Old 07-17-2004, 08:22 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Well thanks for posting results LLD. Let us know if your 1/4 mi times improve too. BTW if I recall that steel shim gasket only reduces chamber volume by about 3cc which I'm guessing is about 0.1-0.2 cr increase. Sounds like you used tigher heads (chambers) too as 76cc chambers were stock in '77 - to get 9.4 cr. Still interesting to follow the performance changes from aftermarket parts. cardo0

Quick Reply: 350 stock cast short block, quench?