Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

RE:The future of the Engine Mods section

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 04:50 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default RE:The future of the Engine Mods section

I want to get some feedback from you guys on what to do with this section. It is a holdover from the very first day of Corvetteforum when we didn't have tech sections for different generations.
I don't think it makes sense to have this section anymore when other sections cover it already. It is more difficult to find information when there is a section that doesn't really fit with the others.

I think that it might make sense to move the threds from here into C4 Tech and C3 and close this section.

Thoughts?
Troy - can't reply to your post because it's locked.
I like this section...
I'm for keeping it the way it is.

[Modified by 71coupe, 5:04 PM 5/21/2004]
Old 05-21-2004, 04:59 PM
wesmigletz
12.14 w/ the original 327

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Default Re: RE:The future of the Engine Mods section (71coupe)

I also like the engine mods section. A lot of the engine info overlaps, and I also like to read what's being done to the later generation engines. Otherwise, I spend most of my time in the C1/C2 section. Wes
Old 05-21-2004, 06:36 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: RE:The future of the Engine Mods section (wesmigletz)

So in the future we're going to have to go to the C5 Tech, C4 Tech, C3 and C1/2 sections to read the engine information that is currently centraly located in this section?

Doesn't sound like a plan that is going to improve anything for me.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:03 PM
hubes
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I like the engne mod section, c2 and c3 engines are the same thing and they would not be in the same section, and i find engine mods more in depth than the stuff in the c3 section
Old 05-21-2004, 07:22 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: RE:The future of the Engine Mods section (hubes)

I think this section should stay. A lot of engine tech is cross-platform and a lot of good ideas and applications get discussed in this section. Its not the busiest section but it has a lot of good, useful information. C4 Tech, ect covers a lot more than the engine.

Old 05-21-2004, 07:41 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Well I really like having it here. I realize it doesn't get as many "hits' as the others, but it really serves a purpose for the more "hardcore" issues. I believe many Forum members are encouraged by having a place to get info on things that are out of the normal "how do I change my spark plug" questions. And even those are appropriate here, but we get a lot more involved with more serious mods and issues. From the number of off-line email's I respond to about stuff, I know folks do read it. Sometimes folks don't want to "air" their problems in public about something messed up after spending lots of money, but I try to find ways to get it back in here without identifying anyone so that everyone can benefit.

One of the complaints I hear from other members is that they feel like an outcast on the Forum because they are messing with outrageous ideas and real hardcore race type stuff. I don't feel that way at all, while I'm a little "out there" with my style of Vette mods, there is a steady flow of info that many of us share as a direct result of this Forum. Often I've found that folks who considered 500-600"+ bigblocks, 427"+ smallblocks, twin turbos, blowers, heavy N20 engines as outrageous at the outset, are soon building one of their own. Witness the number of 540" and 427" smallblock engines that are running around or are under construction in the last two years. Many are jaded with the "Merlin" show car type stuff and would prefer one that can actually perform and drive on the street properly. it's easy to look the part...it's a lot tougher to back it up.

This is where you can talk about and provide information that blows away the myths about what is streetable and what is not. We've tackled and proven issues concerning way too big carburetors, EFI, solid roller cams, rectangular ports vs oval ports, 5 speeds, 6 speeds, rear end mods to hold power, oil pans, clutches, intake manifolds etc etc. While I realize some of these things aren't "pure engine mods" they often apply to C-1's, C-2's C-3's, C-4's and C-5's. If they were posted in just one of those sections they would quickly be lost in the volume and many folks would miss them. I often notice when I or Steve Barker (632C2) are posting stuff about 800-1000 hp street motors, we get little response, but we get LOTS of views. I think lots of folks like reading about it all, but since we give way more detail about our combinations than most race types would ever divulge, there often is not a lot of reason to ask too many questions up front. Plus I'm sure many folks aren't exactly sure what we are always talking about, but they are learning as they read.

This section has also allowed me to gain lots of info from some very knowledgeable folks that I would never normally have access too. Norval,SWC Duke, Monty, ML67, Zwede, etc etc etc...there are many.

Please consider this section the "lunatic hardcore fringe"place and keep it intact. I think it still has value!! Without this place, folks are forced to cruise the Chevelle and race car sites to try and get info. Few Vette guys are serious racers (I'm not either), but there are a lot of serious street toys out there. This is a perfect conduit for info that goes past bolting on an Edelbrock Performer Package!! After doing that once, folks are quick to want even more and this is where they come to find it!

Thanks,

JIM

Old 05-21-2004, 11:07 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: RE:The future of the Engine Mods section (427Hotrod)

Old 05-21-2004, 11:31 PM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

I like it as it is. The only change I would consider is splitting it:

C-1,-2,-3 in one forum, and the
C-4,-5,-6 (computer controled cars) in another forum

Seems like a logical division. I have both, and so do others..... but i'd bet most guys are into one "type" or the other.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:27 AM
bob
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: RE:The future of the Engine Mods section (66427-450)

This is really the only forum I spend anytime at. I say keep it.
bob
Old 05-22-2004, 12:53 AM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Re: RE:The future of the Engine Mods section (427Hotrod)

I vote for keeping it. Jim pretty much summed it up - as usual.

Steve
Old 05-22-2004, 01:26 AM
skid
Racer

Default Re: RE:The future of the Engine Mods section (bob)

This is really the only forum I spend anytime at. I say keep it.
bob
Old 05-22-2004, 12:22 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

As identified, I don't see one other post from a C4 guy. I would miss any help on a problem that any one of these guys may have to offer. The following is a copy of my post to Troy's thread.
I frequent the C4 parts for sale, the Engine Mods, the Drag Racing, and C4 Tech/Performance topics, only. This section provides a resource of information far in excess to the C4 tech section alone. Many motor topics are generationally universal. If I have an engine question, I prefer NOT to limit the answer to those only from the C4 guys. I want ALL the answers available. I often see dual posts for those looking the maximum exposure to a problem. The people that frequient this section are generally more enginewise. There are no, "How do I change My Antenna" questions, here. There is nothing wrong with those questions, but THIS is THE motor place. If you're taking votes, give all you can from, me to leave it.
RACE ON!!!

Old 05-23-2004, 12:39 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: RE:The future of the Engine Mods section (66427-450)

Ditto that! with 66427-450.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:13 AM
BAM92
Safety Car

Default Re: RE:The future of the Engine Mods section (cardo0)

I say leave it.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:55 AM
85vet
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: RE:The future of the Engine Mods section (CFI-EFI)

As identified, I don't see one other post from a C4 guy. I would miss any help on a problem that any one of these guys may have to offer. The following is a copy of my post to Troy's thread. I frequent the C4 parts for sale, the Engine Mods, the Drag Racing, and C4 Tech/Performance topics, only. This section provides a resource of information far in excess to the C4 tech section alone. Many motor topics are generationally universal. If I have an engine question, I prefer NOT to limit the answer to those only from the C4 guys. I want ALL the answers available. I often see dual posts for those looking the maximum exposure to a problem. The people that frequient this section are generally more enginewise. There are no, "How do I change My Antenna" questions, here. There is nothing wrong with those questions, but THIS is THE motor place. If you're taking votes, give all you can from, me to leave it.

RACE ON!!!
Old 06-05-2004, 02:57 PM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Default Re: RE:The future of the Engine Mods section (85vet)

I think 427 hotrod really layed it out how it really is.
If you want more hits here, perhaps this whole section should open up to all
the other hard core requirments of having an insane engine. like suspension, chassis, drivetrain. perhaps title is as what 427hotrod said "lunatic hardcore fringe"
Old 06-07-2004, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Default Re: RE:The future of the Engine Mods section (WashingtonRacer)

Yes, this is the section without fluff. I am building a 580" motor now and I appreciate the opportunity to post questions where truely knowledgeable people will respond (these posts get lost on the C3 forum).

Whatever shape this takes, please keep the hardcore race stuff separate.

Get notified of new replies

To RE:The future of the Engine Mods section

Old 06-07-2004, 09:03 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: RE:The future of the Engine Mods section (wesmigletz)

While we were at the Forum Cruise In at Bowling Green, they held a "members meeting". During the Q/A section I asked Troy while he was on the stage what the prognosis was for this section.

He said it's going to stay!!!!

JIM
Old 06-19-2004, 09:32 PM
Swampy
Advanced

Default I like this forum and pop in on it daily since becoming a member here.

Lots of great info here, and easy to find. A lot of stuff seems to get lost in the or sections by just the amount of other post..... I vote leave it up, but its your forum......
Old 06-20-2004, 12:07 AM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: I like this forum and pop in on it daily since becoming a member here. (Swampy)

I vote leave it up, but its your forum......
It is Troy's forum but he seems to think that it's OUR forum also

Quick Reply: RE:The future of the Engine Mods section