Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Clutch fork movement ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 03:02 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Clutch fork movement ratio?

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to figure out if I have enough clutch fork travel for full clutch release. The tranny is in the car so I can't really measure it at the T/O bearing. The flywheel has been resurfaced twice, but I would suspect it is still within spec. To be honest I forgot to measure it.

Centerforce says I need 0.360" of movement at the T/O bearing once the bearing has made contact with the clutch diaphram.

GM says that I should have 0.700" of pushrod movement measured at the clutch fork with a properly working hydraulic system.

Now... does anyone know what ratio due to pivot ball location I have in my '87 with the doug nash 4+3 tranny? For those of you not familiar with it the front section is just a DN Super T-10 if that helps.

It looks like I need a 1:1.94 ratio or better for full release if my clutch system is working properly with its 0.700" movement.

So why am I even doing this? I had issues with not being able to fully release the clutch resulting in a burnt centerforce unit. I replaced the clutch and two days ago replaced the 183k mile old clutch hose & slave cylinder and I am just trying to do some extra work to make sure things are right.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:55 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: Clutch fork movement ratio? (scorp508)

Well, doesn't matter anymore I guess. Got it all installed and feels great. :cheers:
Old 05-29-2004, 11:50 PM
Lionsden
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Clutch fork movement ratio? (scorp508)

I hear you on this. Although a different generation ('63) I have been trying to figure out why that with an inch of free play the clutch peddle has to be at the floor for the clutch to release. A new pressure plate and clutch disc helped but still needs most of the peddle travel to release. Things that make you go Hmmm!

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch fork movement ratio?

Quick Reply: Clutch fork movement ratio?