Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Just looking for more inches

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 02:54 PM
OVR180
4th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Just looking for more inches

Before all the haters jump me, I have everything I need to build/rebuild my 98 LS1 into a LS6 (including 243 heads, intake, improved cam and valve train) .. Since this will be a total rebuild I ask myself, self. Why spend $$ reworking the stock (early block) when "maybe" I can get a LS3 block and gain significant inches without stroking. Then I'd have a better LS6. Since I have a brand new 3.622 Callies Dragon slayer crank, Compstar 6.125 rods I just want to have a better block and bigger bore. I seem to recall seeing somewhere that this could be a doable thing but can't seem to find anywhere. It would be great if someone else has completed this same scenario and would be willing to share. Thanks in advance to all.
Old 12-25-2023, 09:40 PM
davisce
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts

My 1999 C5 Coupe::

This is a "Tad Long". . . . but you need to know !

I've been down the "Engine SWAP" trail a couple time myself. My first Engine WAP was yank out my LS1 and stuff a LS6 Crate Engine in its place. Did a "Head and mild CAM" upgrade with Long Tube Headers , but still only got about 398 RWHP out of it. Then I decided I wanted a little more cubs, so out with the LS6 and in with a LS3, 6.2 Liter. Well, I went a little too far overboard with a few upgrades to this LS3, e.g., "Heads and CAM" upgrade. I was always looking for a drivable street car (not a track car) but I ended up with something more suitable for a "Circle Track"; not what I was looking for.

Yeah, you guested, I yanked that LS3 out and bought another 2010, LS3 Create Engine. You know the old saying, 3rd time a charm, LOL ! Here are the engine modifications that went into my 2nd and current LS3 Create Engine that installed in my Vette now.

1. GM, 2010, LS3, 6.2 Liter Create Engine. a. Dyno Power: @ RWHP: 512 RWHP (After Engine Upgrades ~ see below).

b. Max Torque: @ 419 Foot Pounds (After Engine Upgrades ~ see below).

02. Upgrade Camshaft (CAM): Motion Hydraulic Roller Performance CAM

a. CAM Duration @ .050:,229 x 244

b. CAM Valve Lift:.615 x .595

c. CAM Lobe Separation Angle (LSA):113

03. Heads: Stock GM, LS3 Heads, Ported, Polished & CC (PPC)

04. Lifters: LS7 Lifters

05. Rockers: BTR Rockers and Trunnion Upgrade Kit.

06. Intake Manifold: Custom RCI, Aluminum, Performance Intake

07. Throttle Body ~ Stock 2010 GM, LS2, 90mm Throttle
NOTE: LS3 6.2 Liter Engines come with a :58X Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel. Not compatible with the C5 ECUs'GM Reluctor Specs:
GM #12586768

58X Reluctor wheels were primary used on 2006+ GM Vehicles.
Most 58x use a grey crankshaft sensor
This sensor is located at the back of the block, near the oil pan, on the passenger side of the engine, just above the starter.

There is a "Control Box" that you can install between the Reluctor Wheel/Gear and your ECU that will let you run the LS3 with the 58 tooth Reluctor Wheel.
Or, you can install the old 24 Tooth Reluctor Gear that comes on the LS1, but you won't get the full tuning capabilities that the 58 Tooth gear give you. Just
be aware. . . .

My Tuner Guy went a different route. . . . e.g., installed a 2010 ECU that controls the engine only. and kept the 1999 LS1 ECU that controls all of the other
car body functions, e.g. gages, lights, radio, etc., etc. Sounds crazy, but it works. Oh, you will lose the use of your DIC (located just on top of the steering
Colum). Well, that's not 100% correct. It still works, but you will be getting "error codes" forever. Your LS1 ECU is looking for the engine, but it's not connected
to the engine. I had my tuner install a "Toggle Switch" that turns of the DIC LIGHT. It's still working . . . . you just don't see all the error codes flashing on the DIC Screen.

You know the "Old Rule Of MODs" right? You change/MOD something here and it will effect something somewhere else. It's like a "Snow Ball" rolling down hill, LOL !! MODs are never simple, LOL !!

Good Luck

LS3, 6.2 LITER ENGINE IN MY 1999 C5 COUPE DYNO @ 512 RWHP

MY 1999 C5 NASSAU BLUE CORVETTE COUPE 19X9in WHEELS (FRONT) 20X10.5in. WHEELS (REAR)

Old 01-11-2024, 01:06 PM
Dzv69
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by davisce
My 1999 C5 Coupe::

This is a "Tad Long". . . . but you need to know !

I've been down the "Engine SWAP" trail a couple time myself. My first Engine WAP was yank out my LS1 and stuff a LS6 Crate Engine in its place. Did a "Head and mild CAM" upgrade with Long Tube Headers , but still only got about 398 RWHP out of it. Then I decided I wanted a little more cubs, so out with the LS6 and in with a LS3, 6.2 Liter. Well, I went a little too far overboard with a few upgrades to this LS3, e.g., "Heads and CAM" upgrade. I was always looking for a drivable street car (not a track car) but I ended up with something more suitable for a "Circle Track"; not what I was looking for.

Yeah, you guested, I yanked that LS3 out and bought another 2010, LS3 Create Engine. You know the old saying, 3rd time a charm, LOL ! Here are the engine modifications that went into my 2nd and current LS3 Create Engine that installed in my Vette now.

1. GM, 2010, LS3, 6.2 Liter Create Engine. a. Dyno Power: @ RWHP: 512 RWHP (After Engine Upgrades ~ see below).

b. Max Torque: @ 419 Foot Pounds (After Engine Upgrades ~ see below).

02. Upgrade Camshaft (CAM): Motion Hydraulic Roller Performance CAM

a. CAM Duration @ .050:,229 x 244

b. CAM Valve Lift:.615 x .595

c. CAM Lobe Separation Angle (LSA):113

03. Heads: Stock GM, LS3 Heads, Ported, Polished & CC (PPC)

04. Lifters: LS7 Lifters

05. Rockers: BTR Rockers and Trunnion Upgrade Kit.

06. Intake Manifold: Custom RCI, Aluminum, Performance Intake

07. Throttle Body ~ Stock 2010 GM, LS2, 90mm Throttle
NOTE: LS3 6.2 Liter Engines come with a :58X Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel. Not compatible with the C5 ECUs'GM Reluctor Specs:
GM #12586768

58X Reluctor wheels were primary used on 2006+ GM Vehicles.
Most 58x use a grey crankshaft sensor
This sensor is located at the back of the block, near the oil pan, on the passenger side of the engine, just above the starter.

There is a "Control Box" that you can install between the Reluctor Wheel/Gear and your ECU that will let you run the LS3 with the 58 tooth Reluctor Wheel.
Or, you can install the old 24 Tooth Reluctor Gear that comes on the LS1, but you won't get the full tuning capabilities that the 58 Tooth gear give you. Just
be aware. . . .

My Tuner Guy went a different route. . . . e.g., installed a 2010 ECU that controls the engine only. and kept the 1999 LS1 ECU that controls all of the other
car body functions, e.g. gages, lights, radio, etc., etc. Sounds crazy, but it works. Oh, you will lose the use of your DIC (located just on top of the steering
Colum). Well, that's not 100% correct. It still works, but you will be getting "error codes" forever. Your LS1 ECU is looking for the engine, but it's not connected
to the engine. I had my tuner install a "Toggle Switch" that turns of the DIC LIGHT. It's still working . . . . you just don't see all the error codes flashing on the DIC Screen.

You know the "Old Rule Of MODs" right? You change/MOD something here and it will effect something somewhere else. It's like a "Snow Ball" rolling down hill, LOL !! MODs are never simple, LOL !!

Good Luck

MY 1999 C5 NASSAU BLUE CORVETTE COUPE 19X9in WHEELS (FRONT) 20X10.5in. WHEELS (REAR)
Excellent build !!! Any videos idling ?

Get notified of new replies

To Just looking for more inches

Quick Reply: Just looking for more inches