Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

383 stroker kit, what parts should be forged, is it necessary to have all forged?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 12:43 PM
TravMsns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 stroker kit, what parts should be forged, is it necessary to have all forged?

I'm getting ready to get a 383 stroker kit for my engine. I want it to be able to rev safely to 6500, and while I'm doing it I might as well make it so it's strong enough to handle some nitrous. Even if I decide not to get nitrous I'd like to know that I can run it safely if I want in the future. I def. wanna get forged pistons and rods, but is it necessary to get a forged crank as well or are the cast steel ones pretty strong? How about hyper pistons instead of forged. Is getting all forged rotating assembly overkill? What are some combos?
Old 09-18-2002, 02:17 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,021 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: 383 stroker kit, what parts should be forged, is it necessary to have all forged? (TravMsns)

get a forged crank, rods, and pistons if you want to use NOS

[Modified by vader86, 1:18 PM 9/18/2002]
Old 09-18-2002, 02:21 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Forged pistons is the biggie for nitrous. I recently did a little homework on this subject. A scat 9000 crank for $200 is good up to about 600-650 HP. :yesnod:
Old 09-18-2002, 04:36 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: 383 stroker kit, what parts should be forged, is it necessary to have all forged? (TravMsns)

Pistons and rods are key. There are some nice cast cranks out there, but why skimp on a couple hundred bucks. In the big picture it is a small portion of the overall costs to get the all forged rotating assembly. A lot of people shoot nitrous at cast cranks without issues though. Just make sure to get good pistons and rods, and stay away from hyperutectic pistons if you plan on the squeeze.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:30 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: 383 stroker kit, what parts should be forged, is it necessary to have all forged? (Vette92)

Pistons and rods are key. There are some nice cast cranks out there, but why skimp on a couple hundred bucks. In the big picture it is a small portion of the overall costs to get the all forged rotating assembly. A lot of people shoot nitrous at cast cranks without issues though. Just make sure to get good pistons and rods, and stay away from hyperutectic pistons if you plan on the squeeze.

With N2O, rods and pistons get the beating.

Get notified of new replies

To 383 stroker kit, what parts should be forged, is it necessary to have all forged?

Quick Reply: 383 stroker kit, what parts should be forged, is it necessary to have all forged?