Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Pro Action Big Block heads..

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 06:33 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,896 Likes on 924 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Pro Action Big Block heads..

I saw a set of ProAction aluminum big block heads today for the first time. Mountainmotor is right, they are REALLY nice.

They swear to me the way I saw them was out of the box. I'm telling you I have never seen a set of heads out of the box like that. The chambers and ports were finished to the extent of a professional port/polish job. I mean NO CNC marks and perfect contouring around guides and chambers. I've looked at many heads and those looked better than many I've seen professional porters do. The pricing I heard was also VERY reasonable, so if you're looking for heads, it might be a good place to check.

They had done initial flow tests and were seeing right at 400 cfm with a 350 or so cc port. I'm not sure of the exact dimension.

Better than a set of Edelbrock Chapman CNC ported heads that had even been worked on some already. They were only at 380 cfm with a similar size port.

I also saw a set of ProFiler heads. They had been heavily modified but were flowing 447cfm with a 340 or so cc port!

Cool stuff!!!

Jim
Old 08-02-2002, 06:50 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Pro Action Big Block heads.. (427Hotrod)

Whats the price on them Jim
Old 08-05-2002, 12:01 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Pro Action Big Block heads.. (69 N.O.X. RATT)

You have mail.

Jim
Old 08-05-2002, 01:40 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 52 Posts

Now you are talking! That is some serious flow.

FYI, I never take ANYONES word for it on flow numbers. I know 2 people that have Super Flow flow benches and I use them whenever I get a set of heads. I once purchased a set of AFR heads that flowed significantly less than they told me. I think this happens all the time.

Old 08-05-2002, 05:16 PM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pro Action Big Block heads.. (542C2)

Quote:
"I think this happens all the time."

Yep some inflated flow numbers out there for sure. Also some assembled heads out there in need of a valve job when new!

Top Line Enginnering"is what they are now in the States" has a really neat little small block head for the guys that like to piddle with home portwork they are a fantastic value. They are called the Torkers and I had posted before but only recieved one response. I have a second set here and when time allows the Company wants me to fax the flow sheet of the finished port flows,,a little race head in disguise budget wise with some work performed to them.2.02-1.6 nice thick decks,machined for screw in studs,centerbolt or parimeter bolt valve covers,hardened exhaust seats.

I will soon post a dyno run with those heads on a 383 with a good manifold and cam. The little heads do a great job of making power

I have also seen the 180 Aluminum small Chevy head,nice as well!

Old 08-05-2002, 08:42 PM
oger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pro Action Big Block heads.. (mountainmotor)

How big an engine are you running that you need 400cfm?
Old 08-06-2002, 02:18 AM
korvetkeith
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Pro Action Big Block heads.. (oger)

Hey mountain, I didn't see that post, what is the chamber size on either set?
Old 08-06-2002, 02:50 AM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Default Re: Pro Action Big Block heads.. (korvetkeith)

They are available in 67cc or 76cc,,straight plug only. I think they might have moved the valves a bit,not certain though,they really are neat,,so neat I chose a set for my car just to see what they were capable of. They have a tall port,,almost 1205 tall.

$349.00 a set bare --premium undercut SS valves ,springs,retainers and forged locks for $159.00 not typo.

Valves will lap in nicely and at 1.780 installed height will clear .550 lift

[Modified by mountainmotor, 12:53 AM 8/6/2002]
Old 08-06-2002, 10:01 AM
mountainmotor
Drifting

I forgot, Another neat thing about those heads is there is enough meat in the cross section of the runner entry to turn those little guys into a 190 or so runner or can leave stock at 167.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:07 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Pro Action Big Block heads.. (oger)

"How big an engine are you running that you need 400cfm"

Just a lil 'ole 540......

I want to START at 400!!

I've also seen lots of very inflated claims out there. I've found Brodix to be conservative and Dart to be optimistic.

Also seem to be lots of casting problems in the Darts. Valves way off center in the bosses etc. Great flowing ports overall though.

I'm a Brodix believer... quality is excellent. But I really liked the ProActions I saw. They could be a serious contender!

JIM
Old 08-06-2002, 11:18 PM
oger
Instructor

You ever looked at Pro 1s?. Super head for just about anything serious.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:14 AM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brodix are good, but Darts rule! Ive never herd or encountered any of the problems you mentioned in your thread. I have a set of 320's fully cnc'd and they deliver the numbers. I will have these heads most likely forever. They will support a 1000 h.p. combination. Look at who's really hauling butt in your town, and they will probably have Dart Heads on there motor.
Good luck,
JC
Old 08-07-2002, 09:50 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Pro Action Big Block heads.. (tiresmokin75-427)

You know I thought about my post later and realized that I might draw fire for saying something bad about Darts. We all spend lots of money on aluminum heads and it's bad to hear someone say anything negative. Same with any of this high $$$ stuff.

Trust me, Darts were definitely on my short list (Pro 1's) when I was shopping. They have overall some of the best ports out there.

I looked at several sets at the machine shop being ported. Generally found that the out of the box claims were a little high with them. Nothing big and even possible to have tester variations, but we were using 4.5 bores. We found that Brodix seemed to be overly conservative out of the box.

Darts had a much better out of the box exhaust port by far. Why Brodix hasn't matched them I don't know. They seem to expect folks will work them over.

The core shift we noticed wasn't on them all, but even the porter says it's common. No big deal if the CNC whittles it away or the head porter works on it some. Just an observation.

The other issue I considered after checking with several repair shops was that EVERYONE I spoke to by far preferred messing with the Brodix in the event something bad happened. They all felt repairability was much better with the Brodix castings. The Brodix have LOTS of material in them and are relatively heavy.

Are the PRO-1's great heads? Sure. CNC ones really flow. Will they make more HP than Brodix? I guess it all depends on the combo. I have no doubt both can shine when done right.

So no offense intended... just personal observations. Some objective some subjective.

Everyone has their own thoughts. I mean I even had a custom Dana 60 IRS built to try something different than the normal 12 bolt in a Vette chunk deal! Now that's weird!

See ya,

Jim
Old 08-07-2002, 10:29 AM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Quote:
"Why Brodix hasn't matched them I don't know. They seem to expect folks will work them over."

I believe you are correct there. But they in my opinion should offer a better out of the box head.

I have not heard of these guys in a while but they were a sub division of sorts called EPD "Experimental Product Development" that was how a guy got himself a high end Brodix head.

Pro Action would have set the world on fire if their line of heads had came out when intended,problem after problem lead to the delay . They were dang near ready in 1990 to send these heads out to America and abroad.I just recieved the Topline "Pro" 360's for the new boat motor,they remind me of a old worked EPD head in that gasket match to the manifold and no other work needed. Which equals fine for me! Tired of port work.But I do wish someone offered a higher flowing head without the Big Chief price.

Something apparently has happened with Dart,I think they were purchased or something like that,not sure because I can't remember?Many seconds floating around for sale from Dart

Tiresmokin75, 1000 hp is not enough these days for some people,,I agree that the Darts you like are a good head but they are not the only head out there to get a job done with.

To me,the biggest mistake a guy can make is to buy a aluminum head w/o the CNC chamber although the Pro head both small and large block does not need it. The little TFS 23 head for the small block is 17hp up with this done,,it would take many hours to do the work by hand
Old 08-07-2002, 01:06 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 52 Posts

I have used Dart heads on all of my big blocks since they first became available. I know just as many guys that swear by Brodix. I have a set of Big Chiefs sitting on a shelf that are absolutely killer. Unfortunately, they along with the intake manifold are about 1-1/4" higher than my current combination. You can only go so high on a hood scoop...

I am just glad that we all have as many choices out there as we do. I remember when Chevrolet was the only game in town and you had your choice of cast iron or aluminum!

Jim, with your experience with Brodix, I would stick with them. If you went with something else and they didn't perform up to your expectation, you would be kicking yourself.

Steve
Old 08-07-2002, 03:11 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jim, I agree with your thread, its all about personal choices. Im sure you will achieve good success with the Brodix. Good luck,

Mountainmtr: Your right, in today's world 1000 h.p. streetable combinations are becoming more common. Here in O Town there is at least 5 or 6 5.0's with turbos running well over 1000h.p., so I guess I have my work cut out for me. There is a strong mustang vs. corvette crowd here. Fortunatley since the ricers have come on the seen, I find the american made musclecars are banning together against the imports. Who would have thought we would be standing there with the Ford guys talking B.S. about the imports??? Go figure.
Take care,
Joe
Old 08-07-2002, 08:36 PM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Default Re: Pro Action Big Block heads.. (tiresmokin75-427)

Quote:'
Who would have thought we would be standing there with the Ford guys talking B.S. about the imports??? "

Yep,in the old days the Chevy's ,Mopars ,Fords were all in groups together in that big old parking lot across from Sonic. The only time two different makes were side by side was when racing or parked at Sonic

Once a friend and I went to a local Ford guys house to pick up a Six Pack manifold and carbs he had for a wedge motor,while there I noticed he had a 289 block,,,,in his bath tub! He was a popular guy and everyone called him Ford,never new his first name?

Get notified of new replies

To Pro Action Big Block heads..

Old 08-09-2002, 10:51 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Pro Action Big Block heads.. (69 N.O.X. RATT)

I would also like to know the price.
Thanks
Old 08-09-2002, 12:48 PM
sideoiler
Instructor

Default Re: Pro Action Big Block heads.. (norvalwilhelm)

EBay has some BB Pro Action heads for $1299 Buy it now --Is this a good price or what--they are bare with hardened seats and machined for my parts..?? Canfields are available from Competitiion Products out of Wisc for $1100 with your choice of chambers 113ccc or 119cc and they will CNC the chambers for $150 more . I need some expert opinion here --this will be for a street motor 502 probably--thanks for any help!!
Old 08-10-2002, 12:36 AM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Default Re: Pro Action Big Block heads.. (sideoiler)

I get special pricing on the entire line of the Pro heads,,email if I can help you,,can smoke that ebay deal by a bunch and have factory support if a problem arises as in a warranty against defect and or workmanship!

Please though,only if serious,,if not ready to buy,you can when ready know I will help you better that ebay price quite a bit only for Corvette Forum members

Jim,that was the 360 runner head that flows over 400cfm out of the box.

They also have a 320 that gets close to that

These are relatively high velocity heads not just sewer pipes. He He!

Get this,they have a 400 runner in the works! Yahoo, will be able to go fast then!
:D

[Modified by mountainmotor, 10:44 PM 8/9/2002]

Quick Reply: Pro Action Big Block heads..