Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Big Block Heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 01:11 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 857 Likes on 628 Posts

Default Big Block Heads

I have a 502 that I am putting a solid flat tappet cam into with specs of .615 lift and 258 duration at .050 ground on a 108 lsa. I was going to use the iron rectangular port heads the motor came with but when I cc'd the chambers they were all 122 or larger and it gives me a good excuse to go Aluminum. My question is what heads should I go with. From what I have read I should stay away from raised exhaust ports since I have sidepipes. I was looking at the Edelbrock Victor Junior with the 320cc intake port and 112 chambers. I don't want to change pistons as the all forged bottom end has only 7000 miles on it and is in new condition. Any body know these heads or can advise me on any others. How much hp am I losing without raised exhaust ports. The rest of my setup is a 4 speed and 3.70 gears with the old GM highrise intake with a milled divider and an 850 Holley dp. Thanks, Bill.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:47 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Big Block Heads (69ttop502)

I would contact Dart direct or you can call Champion Cylinder Heads, located in Palm Coast Florida, near Daytona. They are in my opinion the best cylinder head people on the east coast. Im very satisfied with my Dart 320's, make sure you spend the extra dough and get yours cnc ported. It makes a huge diffenece in performance. You have plenty of cubic inch so you will probably want the raised exhaust ports. Im not sure how it will effect your side pipes. I don't know if that option actually changes the installed height of your headers. The nice thing about cnc'd Darts is that you get a head that can be used on future MONSTER MOTORS. You may want to turn your 502 into a 540 or bigger some day, and you will already have the heads to support it.
Good Luck :cool:
Old 08-02-2002, 12:01 AM
oger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Big Block Heads (tiresmokin75-427)

The raised exhaust ports flow 30cfm more than the standard port location with out any work. Figure out a way to make the side exhaust work.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:25 PM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Big Block Heads (69ttop502)

Bill,

Give me a call when you get back in town and I will get you fixed up with some heads

Get notified of new replies

To Big Block Heads

Quick Reply: Big Block Heads