Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

quick fuel carburetors, damn I'm confused now!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:35 AM
69cvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default quick fuel carburetors, damn I'm confused now!

Alright so I have a MILD performance 427 BBC in my truck,from a corvette All i know as far as mods is a Magnum 282 comp camp with .561 lift. roller rockers, a Holley double pumper, it may have been rebuilt, which is my guess it has, runs very well, except for the Holley thats on it. Its apparently a 650cfm double pumper and has mechanical secondaries.

the only other mod I plan on for this engine is a set of long tube headers

Now I called quick fuel, explained to him what i have, and even with the few mods I've got he recommended the 780CFM SS-780 carb which seems to be a race oriented carb that can be tuned for the street. I'm daily driving this truck, and i was thinking it would have made sense to go with the Slayer 750CFM carb with vacuum secondaries instead. but he said it wouldn't be enough??? I find that hard to believe, I'm running a 650CFM now. there's a $250 dollar difference, i think he just wants more money from me. because the difference between the two seems to be adjustability and ones more for racing, which I'm not really going to be doing, i want a solid GOOD well performing carb on the street, if i take it to the track it'll be once in a WHILE! and on a friday night for fun, not serious racing..

what do you think? I think I'd be fine with the slayer 750CFM series.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:50 AM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

I have "foolwithititis" myself, but if it's running good, leave it alone. I have some experience with the QF carbs, both mech and vac secondaries. They are very well made carbs and I've never had any issues unlike the cheaper versions that both QF and Holley make. If you just can't stand it and make a switch, go with the a vac secondary carb as your daily driver since you'll likely have a tad better mileage.

Good luck.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:13 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

If you do change your carb setup, a vacuum secondary unit with an airflow of 750 cfm or less would be the best bet.

Before you swap carbs though, I would try the long tube headers first. You should see a boost in mid-range torque as well as a slight increase on highway mileage. (Depends upon the current carb's tune and how much mid-range torque increases.)

Good luck with your truck!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:22 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Id leave it alone been down that road

Get notified of new replies

To quick fuel carburetors, damn I'm confused now!

Quick Reply: quick fuel carburetors, damn I'm confused now!