Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

timing cahin and cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 04:13 PM
mike jab
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing cahin and cam

hey i have an 87 l98 corvtte and had a balance that spun into the timing chain cover and while i had it off i figured i best buy a new chain and sprockets so i bought a heavy duty set, will i see any kind of difference from this or no? and id like to hear your thoughts on a best choice for a cam with having to do no modifactions to the top end, looking for the best bang for the buck! thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 10:58 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Specifically, which timing chain & sprockets did you buy, i.e., manufacturer and product #? If the timing chain wasn't made specifically for an L98, you could have problems from your knock sensor interpreting your new combo as detonation and backing out your timing.

If you're looking for a cam that will work with your stock engine and ECM, Comp Cams 08-300-8 works best IMHO. Best sure to get the cam & springs together as a minimum though. (The stock springs may be too weak to handle the increase exhaust valve lift.)

Good Luck with the cam change!
Old 08-26-2013, 12:40 PM
mike jab
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ordered the chain and sprokets from the local speed shop they are mad for the l98 but i have no #s they never came in yet, the cam you suggested what kind of gain would u say i could get hp/tq wise?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:00 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

You're not going to get much of an increase in HP with the cam. (After all, you still have the stock intake and exhaust system.) All it's doing is moving the power band up the RPM range so you don't run out of beans after 4700 RPM. The extra lift will help increase your mid-range torque some; however, your best bang for the buck would be headers rather than a cam change.

Get notified of new replies

To timing cahin and cam

Quick Reply: timing cahin and cam