Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Brakes

Old 07-20-2013, 11:24 AM
marywil
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes

I'm having a hard time getting around the site, please forgive me..I set the E-Brake on my 1989 Corvette and now the brakes are locked up. Any ideas out there. Help!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 05:10 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Unlike some earlier models that activate a drum brake inside the rear rotors, the '89's emergency brake locks the rear disc brakes. I'm guessing that you're have a difficult time getting the emergency brakes to release. I've found the best way to set/release my '89's emergency brakes is to first step on the brake pedal and then while holding the brake pedal down engage/release the emergency brake handle.

If this doesn't resolve the problem that you've having, try posting a better description of the problem in the C4 Technical/Performance forum.

Good luck! Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:52 AM
marywil
8th Gear

What a simple fix thank you so much!!!
Old 07-22-2020, 04:42 PM
noSlikeGS
2nd Gear

I have a 19 GS with 6500 miles and i'm starting to feel brake pulse at around 40 mph when slowing from interstate speeds. Any ideas on this? I can't imagine I have a warped rotor, these cars are designed for tracking which this car has never been. So it's hard for me to believe I have done that!
Old 07-28-2020, 08:15 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Sounds like a warped rotor to me. They dont make them super thick anymore where you can keep turning them unfortunately
Maybe check it..unless you ride the brakes a lot at 6500 miles that shouldnt happen
Old 05-15-2021, 11:13 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by noSlikeGS
I have a 19 GS with 6500 miles and i'm starting to feel brake pulse at around 40 mph when slowing from interstate speeds. Any ideas on this? I can't imagine I have a warped rotor, these cars are designed for tracking which this car has never been. So it's hard for me to believe I have done that!
It ISN'T a warped rotor, it is hard spots on the rotor from the brake pads. You have a couple of choices for removing them. You can replace the rotors, you can remove.them and sand them down with an aluminum oxide sand paper, or you can remove the rotors and take them to a shop so they can use a brake lathe and cut off the hard spots, and this can be done on drilled rotors too. In all three remedies, make sure you sand paper the pads to knock off the glazing that has undoubtedly occurred.

A lot of people think rotors warp, they may but it is very unusual. Heat checking and cracking are more likely.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:48 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If the car is new to you, push the button in and while holding it depressed lift up on the handle, then back down.
May seem irrelevant but stumped 2 tow truck drivers lol (hey its a C4!)
Old 08-01-2023, 02:07 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

its hard to imagine anything would overheat from that. also steel/iron turns blue pretty exactly at 300°c. i dont remember any of my rotors being blue, maybe thats because they get much hotter?

and 4000 miles? you probably do spirited driving on the street and those autocrosses. imo thats just normal.

(disclaimer: i dont have a c7 and have no idea about the pads it uses. i also suspect "original" might mean different things unless they really came on the car when new.)

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes