Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Engine Weight vs Power

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 10:50 PM
Last Ride
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Weight vs Power

Hey all, another post I had got me to thinking about this. I am wanting to go with a lighter car buildup for my next project (under 2700 for a midyear convertible). Initially, I was thinking of trying to go with the lightest pieces possible, including the engine and components. I was considering an LS1, but then my mind wondered to more options. The Ram Jet 502 makes great power, but is 300 pounds heavier than the LS1 (or more!) I have also been looking at a from-scratch buildup, and aluminum is much more expensive than iron! Would the weight savings make that much difference? The car will be mainly a cruiser/weekend warrior, but it will see occational trips to the strip. I am just apprehensive about doing another late-model engine in an older car (I am finally getting all the bugs worked out of the LT1 in my '78). I guess I could go with a crate LS1/6, but again $$$ for the 500 or so horses I am looking for. Maybe someone could give me some pointers here as to what to look for and what to avoid. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-27-2002, 12:12 AM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Engine Weight vs Power (Last Ride)

Your power to weight ratio is definetly something to take into consideration when building a car. How much it will cost also needs to be considered. In general it is said that:

Every 100lbs you take off a car, it's worth .10 second in the 1/4 mile. Every .10 of a second in the 1/4 mile is worth approximately 1 car length on whomever you are racing against.

A light car with a powerful engine sure does make a wicked combination....but WILL also leave you with a light wallet. :cheers:
Old 01-27-2002, 11:41 AM
korvetkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Engine Weight vs Power (bence13_33)

A good head/cam kit on an LS motor can give you 500hp, just check the C5 performance section. And since the car will be light you can afford to go bigger on the heads and cam.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Weight vs Power

Quick Reply: Engine Weight vs Power