Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Like a kid in a candy store....which block??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 03:03 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Like a kid in a candy store....which block??

Ok..I have a 2 bolt 350 .030 over. In good shape. As some of you know, I'm making a beast out of my C3 and intend on assembling a ~800hp BB in the futur. But for now I'm rebuilding my old engine to put back in the car while I build the monster engine.

By tossing ideas around, I figured I could increase the power of my current engine just for the heck of it. A friend of mine has an engine rebuilding company and he owns a LOT of bare blocks. Now I will swap my 2 bolt for a 4 bolt but I asked him about a 400 and he said he had some. BUT he said that my heads wouldn't fit on it. I know I have to change the crank but I thought it would've been only that.

So my question is...what parts are not interchangable between a 350 and 400? Whats the max stroke a 400 can take (w/o clearancing and with)? Max bore? Do they all come with 2bolts or are some 4 bolts? Should I be looking for something in particular?

I know the 400 block is a rare and desired block...any other blocks like that? With all the blocks he has, I'm sure there are a few rare finds!
Old 01-11-2002, 09:32 AM
GregP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Like a kid in a candy store....which block?? (Lohkay)

400 blocks will require heads and gaskets that match the "steam holes" in the deck. Many aftermarket perf heads are available that will work with either 350 or 400 blocks with the correct gasket.

I've read in several SBC books that 2 bolt 400 blocks are stronger than 4 bolt due to thicker main webs. You can have aftermarket 4 bolt caps put onto a 2 bolt block.

If you want HP, don't sweat the block/displacement too much, thereal power (and where you should put most of your money) is in the heads.

-Greg
Old 01-11-2002, 01:38 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Haaa well...I'm staying with my 2bolt afterall. He was charging me 150$CAN to make the switch. As for the 400, its just too much trouble and money for my use. Now my new goal is to break my 2bolt...the guy said I won't break it...:D
Old 01-11-2002, 01:40 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

While your have it converted to 4 bolt caps
Go with the splayed caps, much stronger

Get notified of new replies

To Like a kid in a candy store....which block??

Quick Reply: Like a kid in a candy store....which block??