Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Small block oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Mike_B
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small block oil pressure

Guys, got the picture below from the Scoggin-Dickey catalog. Not that you'd ever want to leave the plug out, but how can it affect oil pressure?

Last edited by Mike_B; 10-01-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: smaller pic
Old 10-01-2007, 01:44 PM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It can't affect oil pressure once the oil filter is full the oil will go the path of least resistance and bypass the filter.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:02 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Leaving that plug out won't affect oil pressure at all. No plug, no oil pressure! As per "Chevrolet Power".

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:02 AM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Leaving that plug out won't affect oil pressure at all. No plug, no oil pressure! As per "Chevrolet Power".

RACE ON!!!
Hate to inform you but don't believe all you read, After 27 years of building performance engines we have ahd engines in the shop from other engine builders without that plug installed and there was oil pressure but the bearings saw unfiltered oil.

If you stop and look at the pic and see hoe the oil flows its not hard to figue out, WHAT IS STOPPING THE ENGINE FROM OIL PRESSURE!!!! All it does is bypass the filter once its full.

I can tell by this post youR not an engine builder with info posted like this,

RACE ON
Old 10-03-2007, 11:58 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by BLOCKMAN
Hate to inform you but don't believe all you read, After 27 years of building performance engines we have ahd engines in the shop from other engine builders without that plug installed and there was oil pressure but the bearings saw unfiltered oil.

If you stop and look at the pic and see hoe the oil flows its not hard to figue out, WHAT IS STOPPING THE ENGINE FROM OIL PRESSURE!!!! All it does is bypass the filter once its full.

I can tell by this post youR not an engine builder with info posted like this,

RACE ON
I don't believe everything I read, however, I do place greater faith in what Chevrolet writes about their own engine than I do in other less reliable sources.

Looking at the picture, I agree it doesn't appear that leaving the plug out would keep oil pressure from building.

And you are correct, that I am not a PROFESSIONAL, full time engine builder. However, I have built my share of engines, and over a period of greater than your 27 years. It is just that *I* haven't put any together with out that plug to observe the consequences first hand. If you noticed, in my first post, I credited "Chevrolet Power", Chevy's own engine book with the information I posted. Here is the page the info came from. Besides the illustration caption, read the last full paragraph in the left column, above the pic, starting with the word "When". If you wish to debate, take it up with Chevrolet Motor Division.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:22 PM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

I don't believe everything I read, however, I do place greater faith in what Chevrolet writes about their own engine than I do in other less reliable sources.

Looking at the picture, I agree it doesn't appear that leaving the plug out would keep oil pressure from building.

And you are correct, that I am not a PROFESSIONAL, full time engine builder. However, I have built my share of engines, and over a period of greater than your 27 years. It is just that *I* haven't put any together with out that plug to observe the consequences first hand. If you noticed, in my first post, I credited "Chevrolet Power", Chevy's own engine book with the information I posted. Here is the page the info came from. Besides the illustration caption, read the last full paragraph in the left column, above the pic, starting with the word "When". If you wish to debate, take it up with Chevrolet Motor Division.

RACE ON!!!

For sure its a type O as where can the oil pressure go. I have seen this posted before and myself and other engine builders have corrected people that post such a statement, The debate is with you not Cheverolet Motor Division as you posted here not them.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:36 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

For sure its a type O as where can the oil pressure go.
It may be a mistake, or an error on Chevy's part, but a typo doesn't show both in the text and in the caption.

I have seen this posted before and myself and other engine builders have corrected people that post such a statement, The debate is with you not Cheverolet Motor Division as you posted here not them.
Apparently, either you didn't read what I posted or your comprehensive capabilities are low. I made the statement on behalf of Chevy. To repeat, I said (scan up and look) "As per "Chevrolet Power".

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 07:24 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default A thx to Blockman for clearing this up.

I would have to say Blockman gave us the good information regardless of acusations of his capabilities. Quoting bad information does no-one any good and i question anyones comprehension that does it
Thx to Blockman for his efforts sharing his knowlege and experience here. I think others have good information to share also but don't care to deal with a bashing over trivia.

cardo0
Old 10-08-2007, 09:49 PM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

It may be a mistake, or an error on Chevy's part, but a typo doesn't show both in the text and in the caption.

Apparently, either you didn't read what I posted or your comprehensive capabilities are low. I made the statement on behalf of Chevy. To repeat, I said (scan up and look) "As per "Chevrolet Power".

RACE ON!!!
If you new how the SBC oiling system works you should not have even posted that and thats not the first statement an engineer has put in print that I have found issues with!! and won't be the last.

And that has been posted many times on other sites about that misprint.

RACE ON
Old 10-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Sick Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF you all want to be technical. It DOES have an effect on pressure. Once you remeber that the filter (minimally restrictive as it is), does indeed have a parasitic loss.

However the manual page that CFI-EFI posted is INCORRECT.

And I will again say. It has 2 effects. A slight oil pressure change (again by removing a parasitic device from it's chain) and a non-filtration issue. However the technical people can say it has a HP gain, by minimizing parasitic loss.

Get notified of new replies

To Small block oil pressure

Quick Reply: Small block oil pressure