Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

632 hardcore questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 03:18 PM
shawn_cake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 632 hardcore questions

has anyone had any experience with Bill Mitchell's Hardcore 632 cubic inch big blocks? he makes the merlin line of blocks and heads etc. Am thinking about one for an orphan 1980 Vette (already has a 9" dif and tubs) I just acquired.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:38 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,895 Likes on 923 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

The Merlin blocks are real nice, I used one for my 540. You might send a note to Nick.."Vettemaniac" here on the Forum. He has been deep off into a 632 project lately and has probably covered all the possible angles for you as to who has what, who SAYs they ahve what and really don't, who's stuff fits what etc etc.

The crate motors are neat, but when building something that big, you need to really make sure it's right. Otherwise you end up with a great big truck motor that only runs hard up to 5000 rpm maybe.

Is it going to be a race car or an Xtreme street car? Do serious research on heads, and valvetrain..they are critical on any big motor...on a 632 they are everything!

JIM
Old 07-18-2005, 06:38 PM
VETMANIAC
Racer

Shawn,
Jim is correct, I am off into the big middle of a 632 buildup. Let me know what your intended usage for the car is (how much true street driving, stop & go, pumpgas, etc.) and Jim and I can steer you in the right direction. I can tell you that feeding air to this thing is going to be a challenge.

Nick
Old 07-19-2005, 01:06 AM
big632
Burning Brakes

You need very good heads and a very good chassis to hook it up.The hardcore motors are nice,I prefer my own build up on something like that.Mine has the best of both worlds big cubes and a wickid supercharger for overkill.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:23 PM
shawn_cake
Racer

Thanks for the replies folks.
My harcore 632 arrived last week.
The 406 bowtie block is getting yanked next month.
I am using the rectangular port Edelbrck Super Victor that is modded for EFI, and milled to match the angle of the Hardcore heads. I am using the Holley Commander 950 EFI system with the 2000 cfm air valave and 96 pound injectors.

Looks like my other big block car is going to have some competition.

Any suggestions on this build will be welcomed...
Old 10-09-2005, 01:32 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,895 Likes on 923 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Did they give you any dyno numbers? What cam did you select? I assume it's a pump gas version?

Again, heads are everything to get it to make HP..TQ is no problem.

Hood clearance can be an issue, but since you have the Super Victor already, I assume you're OK there. I use the Super on my 540 and it does very well, but I spent a good bit of time porting it. My machine shop guys said I didn't take enough out of it even after 14 hours of porting! We've been told the Sonny Leonard intakes are great for 632's if you have killer heads.

Nick will have dyno results for his in a few weeks so we'll know a lot more then. He used the Super also.

JIM

JIM
Old 10-10-2005, 11:24 PM
shawn_cake
Racer

Yup its a pump gas version, about 10.25:1 c/r. The cam is a mech roller (Crane) in the high .600" lift, with 112 deg. LSA., using with ISKY mech roller lifters and crower stainless roller rockers. Need to keep the cam duration "somewhat sane" because of the speed density EFI. I'll be custom building another cowl induction hood for this big block vette too...

Im starting the physical install next week. The little 406 is mad at me for dumping it... LOL...

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Did they give you any dyno numbers? What cam did you select? I assume it's a pump gas version?

Again, heads are everything to get it to make HP..TQ is no problem.

Hood clearance can be an issue, but since you have the Super Victor already, I assume you're OK there. I use the Super on my 540 and it does very well, but I spent a good bit of time porting it. My machine shop guys said I didn't take enough out of it even after 14 hours of porting! We've been told the Sonny Leonard intakes are great for 632's if you have killer heads.

Nick will have dyno results for his in a few weeks so we'll know a lot more then. He used the Super also.

JIM

JIM
Old 10-10-2005, 11:27 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn_cake
Yup its a pump gas version, about 10.25:1 c/r. The cam is a mech roller (Crane) in the high .600" lift, with 112 deg. LSA., using with ISKY mech roller lifters and crower stainless roller rockers. Need to keep the cam duration "somewhat sane" because of the speed density EFI. I'll be custom building another cowl induction hood for this big block vette too...

Im starting the physical install next week. The little 406 is mad at me for dumping it... LOL...

Have you decided which headers your going to use?
I was concerned about the 10.2 deck height vs. the std. 9.8
Old 10-14-2005, 07:00 PM
shawn_cake
Racer

I am getting 2.25" primary stainless headers from Kooks.
The primaries are 38" long. Methinks this project is going to be a BIG JOB...

Get notified of new replies

To 632 hardcore questions

Quick Reply: 632 hardcore questions