Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Off Idle bog down on hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Off Idle bog down on hard acceleration

Hi, I have a 350 with camel hump heads, torker II manifold, smooth cam, 650 holley double pumper. I changed the accelerator pump nozzles from .028 to .031 and played around with various cams to no avail. Total timing is 36 degree with pretty soft springs and a vacuum advances thats plugged on a ported vacuum port.

Off idle, it bogs down and catches up a sec or two later. While rolling it works fine. Thats why I played around with the accelerator nozzles/cams but whatever I do, it doesn't seem to help the problem. When I went to my local parts shop, the guy didn't even want to sell me the .031 nozzles saying he had a much bigger engine and didn't even need em himself. So thats why I didn't even try the .033 or higher... should I? What about the cams? I tried from the smaller to the beefiers and only see a slight gain. (maybe its just me)

I just don't know what to try anymore... anyone has an idea?
Old 05-03-2005, 12:04 AM
skid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the biggest cam (black?, I forget). Make sure your idle isn't too lean. Use a vacuum gauge and adjust the idle mixture screws until you get the highest vacuum reading, and keep adjusting the idle speed screw down to where you want it. Also make sure the accell pump passages aren't plugged by the gaskets or other garbage. Are you getting a strong squirt when you open the throttle? A double pumper should never hesitate!
Old 05-03-2005, 01:02 AM
DragMan
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VII Veteran

make sure pumps are adjusted right and/or might need a bigger squirter. Floats adjusted correctly. Maybe timing mark on balancer is off and u have less timing. Just a few ideas.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:18 AM
skid
Racer

Also make sure there is no clearance on the accell pump lever in the idle position. When the throttle moves, the accell pump should spray instantaniously.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:01 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at your transfer slots. How much is exposed on each side?

Brett

Get notified of new replies

To Off Idle bog down on hard acceleration

Quick Reply: Off Idle bog down on hard acceleration