Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Street vs. Drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 09:38 AM
ROADAPPLE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street vs. Drag racing

Please allow me to rant for a few lines and get it off my chest.

I live in Winter Park, Fl. And just like most locals we are experiencing a surge in people operating their (mostly sport import) cars irresponsibly on the city streets.

Why do the local TV reporters INSITST on calling it “Drag racing”? I for one take umbrance at this reference. I have been campaigning a “91 Vert at the local Speed World drag strip for several years. I consider this sanctioned racing “Drag Racing”. I consider the Non-sanctioned insanity perpetrated on the city streets as “street racing”.

I believe the constant use of the term “Drag Racing” by the local reporters to describe the cause of death in the latest road crash is misleading and puts a “bad light “ on us responsible local racers.

PHEW, I feel better now,

Thanks,
Doug Snyder
Old 05-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: Street vs. Drag racing (ROADAPPLE)

I agree, street racing and legal drag racing are two different things.
If they want to have a story about street racing, they should state "ileegal street racing"

Drag Racing is legal, gets national coverage on TV and in magazines. It's a safe way to have fun.

Street racing is dangerous and stupid and can get you and others killed more easily.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:27 PM
lostsoulny
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Street vs. Drag racing (Mr Mojo)

I agree, street racing and legal drag racing are two different things.
If they want to have a story about street racing, they should state "ileegal street racing"

Drag Racing is legal, gets national coverage on TV and in magazines. It's a safe way to have fun.

Street racing is dangerous and stupid and can get you and others killed more easily.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:45 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Street vs. Drag racing (Mr Mojo)

We must find away to convince the various media, that a "street race" isn't a Drag Race. An awful lot of illegal street racing doesn't even follow the "drag racing" format. Unfortunately, too much of it does. I think part of the blame lies with "Drag Racing's" forefathers when they adopted the vernacular of the day in the sanctioned title of the sport.

If someone wants to take a pro-active approach to the problem, have the city and police officials look at the Rocky Mountain Raceways, "Midnight Drags" program. There are programs like it all over the country, so I don't claim it is unique, but it has been successful in reducing street, drag style, racing. For half of what it costs ME for a T&T session, the track opens the gates after our sanctioned Street Legal points races, to the street racers. They "grudge race" from 10:30 PM until 2:00 AM. on Friday nights. The city even relaxes their noise curfew to accommodate them. It is not a cure-all, but it DOES work in the favor of the REAL drag racers, among us.

RACE ON!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 02:04 PM
ROADAPPLE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Street vs. Drag racing (CFI-EFI)

Orlando Speed World also has the "FUN DAY" Sundays and the Midnight race days for $10 for unlimited runs. I'm sure this has helped get some of the "kids" off the streets.

I have sent a copy of my initial post to all three of my local broadcasters. Hopefully someone with some authority can change the "copy" that the anchors read on air.

I want to be proud that I am a legel DRAG RACER and not an irresposnsable lSTREET RACER.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:45 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I have pretty much given up trying to convince media to use different terminology. Court TV covered in bold headlines the "DRAG RACING MURDER TRIAL". When we point out the distinction between legal sanctioned, tech-inspected, safety equipment required drag racing, and illegal street racing their reaction is "who cares"? Our only chance of getting relief is to change the name of what we do, perhaps calling it "timed acceleration contests", TAC.... anything other than "drag racing" MJ

In fact, here is my topic on the same subject!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=561255

[Modified by MNJack, 3:46 PM 5/3/2004]
Old 05-03-2004, 05:33 PM
geekracer
Melting Slicks

I agree and it bugs me when some TV stations use the term drag racing for street racing. It seems to start when some news person doesn't have a clue on what something is called. For example, back in the old days the term "hacker" was considered a good thing. Someone who could really crank out good code.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I couldn't agree more... :mad
Old 05-03-2004, 07:58 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Street vs. Drag racing (Fuzzy Dice)

Lets face it.. trying to get the "News Media" to change is like preaching to the choir ..
Just a few months ago our local paper had a story "High School Student Killed in Drag Race" ...then it goes on to say how he lost control in a sharp corner...

duhhhhhh...

you get the point.... if its speed related its GOING to be called "Drag Racing" & that WILL NEVER CHANGE !
Old 05-03-2004, 08:51 PM
LittleBoyBlu99
Le Mans Master

Old 05-03-2004, 09:03 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Street vs. Drag racing (LittleBoyBlu99)

Its sort of like Collegiate Wrestling vs "Professional Wrasslin."

The two are totally different animals. One is for one class of participant and enthusiast, the other for an entirely different class.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:17 PM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Street vs. Drag racing (EB20003)

Have battled it for years....will never change. The news media (and law makers) still choose to refer to Illegal Street Racing as Drag Racing.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:44 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: Street vs. Drag racing (Fuzzy Dice)

I couldn't agree more... :mad
Old 05-04-2004, 08:13 PM
StreetRaceC5
Intermediate

Default Re: Street vs. Drag racing (GrandSportC3)

Real street racers don't condone the ricer crap either. The races we get involved with are more organized than the stuff at a local track. Closed highway with some big $$ bets, no weaving in and out of traffic and other reckless crap. Racing on the street and "street racing" are very different things. I never weave through traffic or speed through residential areas, heck I barely even break the speed limit when I am normally driving. Give me a closed stretch of road and some cash on the line and it's a totally different story. You can also blame the tracks that don't let us run without cages just because we run 11.9. I paid way too much money for my car to cut it up with a cage, and most of the street racing crowd feels the same way. Most of the morons having accidents can't even break into the 16s at the track. If the local tracks would have "real street" nights with relaxed rules on safety equipment maybe we wouldn't have to race on the street. I'm probably going to get flamed like crazy, but I don't care. If you want to destroy your $40k car go ahead, I'll have a car that's just as fast and still worth something when I sell it. Plus the proceeds from racing have paid for a few payments on the car already. Just my $.02
Old 05-04-2004, 08:24 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: Street vs. Drag racing (StreetRaceC5)

No flames intended,but at this time the C4 market is dropping and so are the C5's, neither car will be worth anything anytime soon. Besides there are plenty of examples out there, I wouldn't be afraid to put a rollbar in my car, but it is not required at this time.

I'm glad to see that you actually enjoy your car rather than let it sit. Nothing makes me feel better than to see people enjoying their cars.

I know all about the street racing scene, I have many friends who do it.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:31 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Real street racers don't condone the ricer crap either. The races we get involved with are more organized than the stuff at a local track. Closed highway with some big $$ bets, no weaving in and out of traffic and other reckless crap. Racing on the street and "street racing" are very different things. I never weave through traffic or speed through residential areas, heck I barely even break the speed limit when I am normally driving. Give me a closed stretch of road and some cash on the line and it's a totally different story. You can also blame the tracks that don't let us run without cages just because we run 11.9. I paid way too much money for my car to cut it up with a cage, and most of the street racing crowd feels the same way. Most of the morons having accidents can't even break into the 16s at the track. If the local tracks would have "real street" nights with relaxed rules on safety equipment maybe we wouldn't have to race on the street. I'm probably going to get flamed like crazy, but I don't care. If you want to destroy your $40k car go ahead, I'll have a car that's just as fast and still worth something when I sell it. Plus the proceeds from racing have paid for a few payments on the car already. Just my $.02
Just so i understand you here. Your STREET RACES are better organized than the track events, Street Racing earns you MONEY, You want the track to have a REAL STREET NIGHT with NO SAFETY RULES! Your kidding right?
Bob
Old 05-04-2004, 09:24 PM
StreetRaceC5
Intermediate

Default Re: Street vs. Drag racing (16Again)

Just so i understand you here. Your STREET RACES are better organized than the track events, Street Racing earns you MONEY, You want the track to have a REAL STREET NIGHT with NO SAFETY RULES! Your kidding right?
Bob
I never said NO safety rules, just relax them a little bit so I don't get the boot for running 2 tenths quicker than I'm supposed to. See this link, I think you're getting your panties up in a bunch for no reason http://www.realstreetdrags.net/. Yes, our street races are more organized, because if we don't run a tight ship we get caught. Street racing has made me money, and I see nothing wrong with it. I won't promote it here on the forum, but have no qualms about letting it be known that it's an activity I choose to partake in. To each their own, try being a little more open minded about what others do.

[Modified by StreetRaceC5, 9:33 PM 5/4/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Street vs. Drag racing

Old 05-04-2004, 09:31 PM
StreetRaceC5
Intermediate

I forgot to add, if there was a local IHRA track I wouldn't need to worry either. If I don't spray the car it'll run above 11.50 all day long. It would be nice if the NHRA would adopt some of the same rules, since they want everyone to run at the track and not on the street.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:35 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can also blame the tracks that don't let us run without cages just because we run 11.9. I paid way too much money for my car to cut it up with a cage,
OK.. I'm honestly "NOT" flaming you.. but please answer me honestly... "IF" the track let you run 11.9 with no cage, then some other guy ran 11.5.. then you added NOS and ran 11.2 .. the question is..

When (at what ET) should a roll bar be required? Do you think 11.0 is safe with no safety equipment. (roll bar) if so.. is 10.8 OK?

At what Et or speed would you require a roll bar, and fire jacket? Or would you just let em run what they brung, & hope they brung enough..& not hit anything?

I would like anyone to reply..

[Modified by Red96Coupe, 9:41 PM 5/4/2004]
Old 05-04-2004, 09:44 PM
StreetRaceC5
Intermediate

Default Re: Street vs. Drag racing (Red96Coupe)

Red96, I think you started posting before seeing my post above. A lot of the guys/girls I run with are slower than me NA, so IHRA regs would be fine. I agree there would need to be some safety equipment required for the "top dogs" but if 11.50 and slower is fine in IHRA, I don't see why NHRA tracks can't let us do the same. It's a good way to generate revenue, and there's a pretty wide customer base that they could appeal to. See the link I posted above, if we could run something like that around here I'd be all for it and could get at least 20 other people to run with me. That's just me, I think with a little advertising the track could make a pretty good buck and everyone could have a good time. Plus it might even get some of the morons who drive carelessly off the street, even if it's only for 1 night out of the month.

Quick Reply: Street vs. Drag racing