Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Who runs NHRA Super Street and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 02:46 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Default Who runs NHRA Super Street and why?

Mackey has mention Super Street before here.

The way understand it, it is a 10.90 class. You run heads up pro .500 tree and both racers are shooting to get the finish line as quick as they can without going under 10.90. So you basically build a car that runs 10.50's maybe and you adjust to 10.90 at each event with weight or tuning adjustments.

My questions is who runs this class and why?
Is it much quicker cars detuning to get practice runs?
Is it guys just looking to get a taste of NHRA?
Is it just the local people from that track on that weekend? ( I saw the Englishtown results from 03 and it looks like a lot of local NY, NY to MD guys)
Is it not a points championship series?
Do people race in it cause the final rounds are held Sunday so you kind of have a free pass to watch the pros?
We have many Corvettes in our Challenge running in the mid 10 range. Would it make sense for us to get these guys to compete that weekend to give us some exposure?
Is it astronomical money to run?
Is it a non-power adder class?
Is there no glory to run in this?
How do they qualify?
Do all cars get in that want in or do they limit the number of cars?
Will a mid 11 car even stand a chance of winning a couple rounds?
I see they allow delay boxes and transbrakes which our challenge does not, but honestly some of the lights don't look that spectacular (there was a round that had a double .000 but some were in .02 and up range.
Does it pay money? Contingency?

Come on you NHRA pros, help me out? I might want to get in just to check it out.

Old 12-02-2003, 03:34 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Who runs NHRA Super Street and why? (REDGAR)

Nice run 11.27! what did you do to the engine? How much boost are you running? What was the temp during that run?
Old 12-02-2003, 04:15 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

Default Re: Who runs NHRA Super Street and why? (urslooow)

Steve thanks. No boost. I am a cam only car. The run is a result of great weather. That is all it is. I did get a new converter. Am running Vigilante 4400 now.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:02 PM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Mackey has mention Super Street before here.

The way understand it, it is a 10.90 class. You run heads up pro .500 tree and both racers are shooting to get the finish line as quick as they can without going under 10.90. So you basically build a car that runs 10.50's maybe and you adjust to 10.90 at each event with weight or tuning adjustments.

My questions is who runs this class and why?

it is a slower bracket class

Is it much quicker cars detuning to get practice runs?

nope usually the cars are quicker but they use a throttle stop to get to 10.90

Is it guys just looking to get a taste of NHRA?

It is the cheapest way to go NHRA racing

Is it just the local people from that track on that weekend? ( I saw the Englishtown results from 03 and it looks like a lot of local NY, NY to MD guys)

usually it is guys for the home division of that national event (ie Div 1 for the northeast)

Is it not a points championship series?

there is no world champ, there are however divisional championships

Do people race in it cause the final rounds are held Sunday so you kind of have a free pass to watch the pros?

Not hardly, it still would cost $1000 to run a NHRA national in Super Street, they generally start eliminations on Friday, time trials start thursday

We have many Corvettes in our Challenge running in the mid 10 range. Would it make sense for us to get these guys to compete that weekend to give us some exposure?

you would need to be SURE all teh cars would pass tech, and without electronic "bracket aids" it would be very hard to compete. A .530 light and .01 over will more than likely NOt get you past the 1st round. Also Super Street is not a spectator draw at a national event, none of the sportsman classes are for the most part.

Is it astronomical money to run?

Not really to run, but to be competitive, it can be.

Is it a non-power adder class?

naturally aspirated only if i am not mistaken, minimum 2800lb weight

Is there no glory to run in this?

No, not im my opinion. you would be money ahead running a 10k to win bracket race.

How do they qualify?

If i am correct, it is closest to the index w/o breaking out. All that does is determine the ladder.

Do all cars get in that want in or do they limit the number of cars?

Usually 64 or 128 at a national, at a divisional it is all run

Will a mid 11 car even stand a chance of winning a couple rounds?

Not unless teh other guy breaks, or red lights.

I see they allow delay boxes and transbrakes which our challenge does not, but honestly some of the lights don't look that spectacular (there was a round that had a double .000 but some were in .02 and up range.
Does it pay money?

yes, genereally $1500 at a national, $500 divisional

Contingency?

Yes, you would need to look in National Dragster for the contengency sponsor list.

Come on you NHRA pros, help me out? I might want to get in just to check it out.

We race NHRA stock eliminator with our 68 vette, it is not the cheapest class to run but is fairly economical. It is not a bracket race, but a performance based eliminator. Althought in eliminations it is very similar to a bracket race. IM me if you have any more questions about NHRA National or divisional Racing
Old 12-02-2003, 05:10 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Look at the MPH some run, thats why the delay box is so important, i however feel it a cheep way to get to run at a national event level and a real good driver could be competitive without electronic.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:20 PM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Who runs NHRA Super Street and why? (mackeyred96)

Look at the MPH some run, thats why the delay box is so important, i however feel it a cheep way to get to run at a national event level and a real good driver could be competitive without electronic.
yea a 10.90 @ 148, will damn near spin a regular car arond in the lights :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-02-2003, 06:31 PM
Matt383
Drifting

Location: 2003 Points Champ Great Lakes Corvette Challenge; 2006/2007 Winner MSD True Street
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who runs NHRA Super Street and why? (vetteman9368)

I inquired about this class a while ago.
I wanted to run at Rt 66 Nats.

No nitrous allowed, which I need at this point in time to run in the 10's.
Also, if I remember right, there are limits as to the modifications as well.
Only certain approved pistons, manifolds, etc. (I hope I'm not getting my classes mixed up here). But anyway, after you win it seemed to me that they could ask you to tear your engine down for inspection. I ain't doin' that for no body. So for now I run Pro, superpro, and the Challenge. IHRA is looking better and Better to me.

Matt383
Old 12-02-2003, 07:45 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

Chad, thanks for the super input.

Mack I was going to try it but if Chad is correct, $1000 to enter is going to kill that.

Matt, you are getting the classes mix up. Super Street is any engine. Pistion list and stuff you refer to is Stock and Super Stock.

I did see in the rule book that Nitrous is NOT allowed, however Supercharging and Turbo is.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:47 PM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Chad, thanks for the super input.

Mack I was going to try it but if Chad is correct, $1000 to enter is going to kill that.

Matt, you are getting the classes mix up. Super Street is any engine. Pistion list and stuff you refer to is Stock and Super Stock.

I did see in the rule book that Nitrous is NOT allowed, however Supercharging and Turbo is.
its not $1000 to enter, i was reffering to what teh real cost to run is. Entry is $325 if it is the same as stock elminator :cheers:
Old 12-02-2003, 09:34 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

Oh that sounds a little better. Are prices posted on NHRA.com?
Old 12-02-2003, 09:36 PM
chasenme
Advanced

Super Street is an entry level class for Divisional and National event racing. Must be a bodied car (door car) and weigh a minium of 2800lbs. No real limitations on motor, but no nitrous. Must run mufflers and pass noise req. 95 decible. You must meet saftey requirements(pass tech) as for a 10 sec car. If your mph exceeds 135 you must meet saftey requirement for 9 sec car etc... It is a 10.90 index and .500 pro tree. To keep the heavy hitters out, you cant enter SSt if you are competing in any other category at that event.( A lot of big budget teams run multiple cars and classes) Entry fee for divisional @ $150, entry for National event now $300. SSt is an all run category, no qualifying. The listed top 10 "qualifiers are the best 10.90 package during 1st round of eliminations. If you meet the requirment for SSt you can show up at a divisional and race. To run a National event you have to meet the number of grading points required for that event. Grading points are basically the number of divisional races that you have attended. Usually SSt you only need @ 2 grading points, the other sportsman category you made need 6-8. It depends on how many entrys they have recieved for that event(you have to pre-enter). The purse is usually $800 -1200 for SSt with Contegency offered for that event. Most contegency you must display decal before 1st round of eliminations and use product with 1-2 year current receipt of purchase and only pay if you win or runner-up.
Some people dont use a delay box or a throttle stop, but most do.

Yea, I have run SSt a couple times.
Dennis
Old 12-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Matt383
Drifting

Location: 2003 Points Champ Great Lakes Corvette Challenge; 2006/2007 Winner MSD True Street

REDGAR,
Thanks for the correction. It was a while ago, and I remember researching the NHRA rule book for a class I could run in. Got 'em mixed up obviously.
I remember at the time I couldn't run in any of 'em. I guess I gotta get my car into solid 10's on motor! ($$$$)
Thanks!
Matt383

Old 12-03-2003, 12:02 PM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Who runs NHRA Super Street and why? (Matt383)

All the Super classes Super Street, Super Pro, Super Gas simply have a 1 second difference in the break.

etc....

I know a lot of Super Gas racers. Car jumps off the line, and then the delay box kicks in, etc... Not my cup of tea personally. I know the guys who invented the first throttle stop (John Costales). For instance, most cars can run at least a full second or more quicker than the index. They tune everything via the delay box. these classes are normally decided by the slimmest of margins. Unless you can hook a throttle stop into your Vette, I'd say you don't stand a chance.

[Modified by J-Rod, 12:06 PM 12/3/2003]
Old 12-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Arnie
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: Who runs NHRA Super Street and why? (J-Rod)

I don't like watching cars with delay boxes, hard launch, then back off, then gradually get on it again, that's not racing IMO.
If you want to compete, you better be able to cut .000 - .010 lights consistently and run within a few thousands of your index.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:19 PM
Matt383
Drifting

Default Re: Who runs NHRA Super Street and why? (Arnie)

:iagree:
Old 12-03-2003, 02:48 PM
Harry7239
Burning Brakes

Ah yes, NHRA Divisionals.... gotta love 'em.

When it comes to Super Street, 10.96 most of the time won't win the race. It's all about tuning the car to perfection and nailing the tree.

I've got a buddy with a Super Gas car... 1966 Chevelle. Runs 8.60 without electronics, 9.90 with.

Out west I've noticed due to weather conditions Super Gas is actually a 10.07 bracket.

If you plan on racing in one of the sportsman classes, you should really buy a car produced for the divisions.

Generally, you don't see many cars with even a steel body in Super Street.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:38 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

Default Re: Who runs NHRA Super Street and why?

I think the throttle stop is what is used to make the car go dead after the 60' and then get back into it again. The delay box is what allows them to compensate for the tree reaction right?

I got some more input from other boards and the what I understand is that Super Comp and Super Gas are .400 trees. Guys build cars to go fast enough for though but if they cannot react well to the .400 they come on down to Super Street cause it is a .500 tree. Adjust the delay box so they can react in say .450 time but delay .052 and viola have a .503 light. Then they use the throttle stop to slow the car down to 10.90.

It has been learning about the class of street cars that really aren't street cars. So the only way into it is like Harry said, is to buy a car built for it. Kinda sucks for the entry level driver who can't get into the entry level class.

Oh well.

Get notified of new replies

To Who runs NHRA Super Street and why?

Old 12-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Matt383
Drifting

REDGAR,
That's why I race pro and super pro. Lots of tracks and competition.
I always thought supercomp and like classes were boring.
A battle of computer boxes!
Do you have any Super Chevy events near you? Those are neat. Big NHRA Tracks and big crowds. Also Hot ROD Magazine has/had a festival of power tour that was cool to race in. Same large crowds. Kinda neat pulling onto the track with thousands of people in the stands.
Who knows? The Corvette Challenge may get there!
Matt383

[Modified by Matt383, 4:53 PM 12/3/2003]
Old 12-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Harry7239
Burning Brakes

I'm nearly positive that Super Street runs on a .400 pro tree.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:02 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

CI VI Drag Champ!

Matt, yes I went to Super Chevy in Virginia and they also come to Reading PA.

Harry, definitely, positvly without a doubt, S/ST is a .500 pro tree. Some of the posts above confirm that as well as the rule book and other drivers of S/ST on http://www.dragraceresults.com

Quick Reply: Who runs NHRA Super Street and why?