Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Carolina Footswap Nationals....

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 06:59 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 308 Likes on 138 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Carolina Footswap Nationals....

As y'all may recall I left my junk up at Rockingham Dragway a week ago Sunday after the NHRA finals...short 3 hour tow from Carolina and we then drove back to Melbourne, Fl....4 days later we got back in the car at 8AM on Thursday morning and drove the 9 hours back to Rockingham for this event...when we got to the track we did a bit of maintenance on my ride...new plugs...set the timing and tuned the carb a bit...we did not get to re-lash the valves or install the new master cylinder...oh well...

Friday dawned cool and clear...51* so a little chilly for us Florida boyz...lol...unfortunately the car count was very low with only 83 entries...we forgot to check the fine print that called for 200 entries for a full payout...sigh...of course we raced and what a strange day I had...we got two time shots and I was .005 red on my first...car went 6.33 @ 107.8 off the foot...my second pass I was .007 red...sheesh...I took a little air out of the fronts...

First round I line up with an olds omega dialed 5.40...I put 6.33 on my junk...he breaks a rocker on his burn out so I get a broke bye...I am .003 red AGAIN and go dead on with a 5...holy moly!....I took another pound out of the skinnies...ready for round next after they run the re-run round...

Here we go in round 2 and I catch a gen two Camaro dialed 7.72...I leave 33 on mine...off he goes and I leave...are you ready?...I am .002 red...great guggemooga...I run dead one but he was 8 green so I had my work cut out for me...so I am done for that race and am thinking about the $3.000 to win gamblers race coming up later... the main event finished up at 4:30PM and then the promoter made a questionable decision...he cancelled the gamblers...weather was perfect, btw... we all knew there was lousy weather coming in for Saturday so we thought he could have done the gamblers (as advertised) or even run another $10,000 grander...oh yeah, he put his own money up and paid 4 grand for the first main event instead of the 10G's...sigh...

Saturday morning arrives and, sure enough, it is raining...he announces that the rain will end by 11AM and we will be racing at 3PM to finish whenever with no curfew...well, the rain did not stop until 1PM...he posts on FB at 2PM that the whole event is cancelled...he did not make an announcement at the track until 3PM...fooey!...there were not a lot of happy campers I can tell you...the weather for Sunday was crystal clear and a high of 64*...dagnabbit!...I should say come Saturday morning there was only 49 trailers left on site so a lot of folks left...

We all figured out that the promoter ran out of funds to keep going with the small car count...stuff happens but, damn, we towed a good ways for this event...so we got some refund, loaded up and took off...we looked into 8 different tracks within 3,hours to race at but none were viable...so back to Florida we went...but wait, there's more...lmao...

My buddy had trouble going down the track up there and I wanted to leave off the button to see how she did on methanol...we drove straight to Orlando Speedworld for their Runday Sunday...we arrived at 2:30AM and got some shut eye until they opened...his S-10 went right down broadway going 6.15...we took out my 3600 rpm launch chip and put in a 3200...she left wheels up a bit higher than normal but ran great and straight going.6.30...I was 21 red with only two shims in the long throw button...sigh...one and done for me so we packed up and went home...what a trip!!!!....

Next up is this coming Saturday at Gainesville for a Wally race...back to leaving off the trans brake for me...starting over again which has been the story of my entire year,,,.now I am on meth and need a new spot on the tree...whew...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 10-16-2023 at 07:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fuzzy Dice:
C5 Pete (10-17-2023), larrywalk (10-21-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 02:24 PM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

What timing for my transmission to go out. I wanted to go to that race so bad. With all the hassles you had. It was a good thing that I didn't go. It would have been a big waste of time. At least you went on a good old road trip.

Quick Reply: Carolina Footswap Nationals....