Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

No Bueno...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 10:46 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 308 Likes on 138 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default No Bueno...

I raced in the All Out Live event at Palm Beach today...very light turnout and a quick exit for me...they gave us a test n tune beforehand and then three time shots...it was stupid hot today and my car showed it...my best time was 6.61 so that was what they used for my dial,,,kinda like open comp but with an instant green tree...

At the drivers meeting they decided to subtract a full tenth from our dials...yikes!...of course nobody could run their number taking that much off...anyway, I went up for the first round and caught a new camaro...there were no dials on our cars or on the scoreboards...no clue who might be leaving first...this instant green stuff is just like a .400 pro tree...too fast for my reactions I can tell you...

My opponent double bulbed me but I shrugged that off...I lit my pre stage bulbs and then my final bulbs...I pressed the button and went to go up on the two step...btw, I had pushed my launch rpm up from 3400 to 3800 trying to hit the tree harder...so as I mash the go pedal my thumb slips off the button...yipers!...my car launched and I was done for...I think they call it LBA...not good folks...so I am home real early...

Next up is a test n tune on Friday and a points event at Orlando on Saturday...time for me to wake the heck up...oh yeah...after my second time shot, somebody noticed my carb was leaking like crazy...a pool of gasoline in eth intake valley...sheesh...my accelerator pump took a crap...I put out a parts call and got one to replace that mess which we did...always something!...

Big thanks to RJ and Glengages for all their help...
Old 06-07-2021, 02:34 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good thing Glen noticed the carb leak, that could have been VERY ugly.

Enjoyed seeing you Dan and finally meeting Rick Mortell face to face.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:31 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Yup, that leak was bad...as porky pig once said...that was vewy skewy...lol...
Old 06-08-2021, 06:08 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Dan,
Despite your "one and done" the old adage applies: "Regardless of what happened it was a great day at the track if you and your car get home in one piece".
Old 06-08-2021, 06:25 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Yessir, Mac...it was a lot of fun regardless...see you Saturday at OSW?...I am planning on testing friday night so I will have our spots ready...
Old 06-08-2021, 07:41 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
Yessir, Mac...it was a lot of fun regardless...see you Saturday at OSW?...I am planning on testing friday night so I will have our spots ready...
Dan,
I plan to be at OSW Sat with the C5 as the C6 is back in Geoff's shop. I am making a "last ditch" effort to diagnose and fix the transmission problems locally. Failing that, I will have the trams pulled out and sent back to Century Transmission in TX for a total going over. That will mean extended down time for the C6. Due to my commitment to make the C6 work this season, and all the problems I have experienced, I have won only one round of racing and that was on a red eye by my opponent! I am so far down in points my name no longer even shows on the points list! Actually, there is some benefit in not "chasing points" as I will just have fun and not give a s**t about round wins for the rest of the season. See you Saturday!
Mac
Old 06-08-2021, 10:03 AM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Just curious - at that event, why wouldn't you (and everybody else) deep stage? There is no chance of red lighting with the instant green and it puts you a little closer to the finish line.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:18 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
Just curious - at that event, why wouldn't you (and everybody else) deep stage? There is no chance of red lighting with the instant green and it puts you a little closer to the finish line.
The problem for me were the class ET requirements...my class allowed 6.40 to 7.00 in the 1/8 mile...deep staging might have put me above the 7.00 mark...I could not go into the next slower class since it was 1/4 mile and no t-brakes allowed...it was a strange event, made for TV, so quite different but fun nonetheless...
The following users liked this post:
BKbroiler (06-09-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To No Bueno...

Quick Reply: No Bueno...