Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 05:18 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default 2020

Hi everyone I haven't been on the forum for sometime but I think we could all use to hear something positive! So just in a short post tell how your racing was 2020! Good, bad, fast or slow let hear how you all did and how Covid effected your racing! Hope to hear from some of my old racing friends. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-21-2020, 04:02 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Good to hear from you Mackey! Happy holidays!

My car has been on jack stands all year, but I did go watch a few races. Should be out for 2021 though. Looking forward to it.

Last edited by C5 Pete; 12-21-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:21 PM
boogieman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey john I too ran a few races, made some changes to the car and its coming along. Making some nice power with a 2200 blower setup. Covid definitely screwed everything up as far as events being canceled. Hopefully things will turn around and we can get back to some more racing next year....Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:41 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 306 Likes on 138 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Like most racers I had a screwed up year...I raced in January and February...then in March I towed 10 hours only to have the event cancelled 5 minutes after pulling in the gate due to covid...sigh...I did not race again until Memorial Day when Bradenton defied the rules and had a race...I raced once in June and then my back went out and I did not go again until August and broke my gas pedal...then the 100 grander over Labor Day up at Bristol...I was rusty as heck but shook some off and the new pedal broke again...threw out a new throttle cable and installed a rod...

Then, in September, I raced an SFG event at South Georgia and felt more rust go away...I followed this up with an Orlando race and then the Citrus Nats in Palm Beach on Thanksgiving weekend...another car issue popped up so I came home and fixed that...lastly, I raced another big money SFG event at Bradenton last week and will finish the year at Palm Beach again in 8 days at the New Years Nationals...

I have had a delay box for my car that I never used...I plan to start racing off the top bulb in 2021...it is a bucket list deal for me so we will see how it goes...I have always been a bottom bulb guy so it should be interesting...I have always been a pump gas racer but the inconsistency is killing me...I am going to try an experiment at the upcoming event and mix the 93 with 110 race gas on a 3/2 basis...we will see if this smooths things out a bit...after the first of the year, I will be installing a new FTI billet valve body in my glide to hopefully solve a nagging trans brake issue...sigh...

I am looking forward to another racing year and hope the covid does not shut things down again...stay tuned and y'all will know how it goes for me as soon as I do...lol...stay well, John and I will be pushing hard for the old fart mafia...he he he...
Old 12-23-2020, 01:45 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think we can all agree 2020 sucked. In addition to COVID, my dog died unexpectedly and tow vehicle blew up (very unexpectedly) and we had a hurricane & lost power during the 1 week I tried to take a vacation I didn't get to race at all this year. The tracks were closed in the first half, then I lost the tow vehicle and by the time I got a new ride and got it setup to tow, the season was almost over.....and then I realized that my harness had expired, so I threw in the towel and will try again next year.

It's nice to hear from you John and I hope you're doing well. To everyone: a Merry Christmas and a hopefully better & happy new year. In the meantime FxxK 2020!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2020, 07:39 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Like many racers, my 2020 was challenging but I have much to be thankful for- most importantly good health for my wife and I. Despite the shortened season, Orlando Speed World did the best that they could for the racers. I decided at mid-year of the short season to switch my race car from my "Old Reliable" '98 C5 to my ''Misery Machine" '12 C6 GS. At the time of the switch I was in the top 10 in Pro ET points.

Due to a steep learning curve in driving the "new" car and continuing problems with it I finished the season #21 out of 130 points earners. I had a shot for a higher finish but the Misery Machine once again took a crap on the first time run in the points finale. After four years of mechanical and electrical components break and fix plus numerous tuning issues I am close to the end of my rope with this car but there is always hope. Thank goodness I have "Old Reliable" as a backup race car!

I turned 70 in 2020 and hope the Lord will give me some more good years to race!
Old 12-24-2020, 07:07 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Thanks to all that replied it was good to hear from you all! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-27-2020, 04:58 PM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

Sold our Jersey home in January and moved to our house in Pa. Bought a home in Parkland Florida within walking distance to the grandkids. Did not race once. Looking forward to do a lot of racing in 2021 and make up for lost time at Island, Numidia and PBIR in Florida.
The following users liked this post:
mackeyred96 (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 11:31 AM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Wow!👍👍
Old 01-02-2021, 01:40 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,043 Posts

We had a limited racing year at Sonoma. I went to 7 events and did well; 2 firsts, 2 runners up and no first round outs. A lot of the wins were top end theatrics because for the most part, my lights sucked. Actually downright embarrassing, but my competition was either equally as bad at the starting line, or I did a better job at the stripe, or just luck. I hadn’t raced from October to July. Nine months off really affected reaction times. Hope I wake up in 2021.

Last edited by 383vett; 01-02-2021 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:57 PM
Ron Higgins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey John how you doing. I don’t know if you remember. But we ran into one another at a place in Brick plaza a couple years ago. All is great with my cars. Both running fine Had them to cruse nites on Fisher blvd in TR. no more racing. Spending all my money on the boat. I’ve seen Tommy M lately he’s working all the time. Hello to Ralph and Jerry. Hope to catch up to you guys at Atco. If it’s still active. In 21.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:30 AM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=Ron Higgins;1602793591]Hey John how you doing. I don’t know if you remember. But we ran into one another at a place in Brick plaza a couple years ago. All is great with my cars. Both running fine Had them to cruse nites on Fisher blvd in TR. no more racing. Spending all my money on the boat. I’ve seen Tommy M lately he’s working all the time. Hello to Ralph and Jerry. Hope to catch up to you guys at Atco. If it’s still active. In 21.[/QUOT

Hey Ron,
It’s been a while. Hope you are doing well. Hopefully we will run into each other this year at Atco or Island. Stay well.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:55 AM
Ron Higgins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Bob , Hope all is well with you and your family. Things are okay on the Jersey Shore I heared that Rob F. Is at Thrust. And that Dennis K is visiting Texas. I would really like to get to see all this summer. Take care
Old 01-08-2021, 11:51 AM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ron Higgins
Hey Bob , Hope all is well with you and your family. Things are okay on the Jersey Shore I heared that Rob F. Is at Thrust. And that Dennis K is visiting Texas. I would really like to get to see all this summer. Take care
All is well Ron. Sold our home in Jersey moved to our house in Pa. Bought a house in Florida by the grandkids. Yes Rob is working at Thrust. Dennis I believe is visiting his daughter in Texas.
Stay well. Talk soon.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:04 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Where is Edgar (REDGAR) these days?
Old 01-12-2021, 07:41 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Ron Higgins
Hey John how you doing. I don’t know if you remember. But we ran into one another at a place in Brick plaza a couple years ago. All is great with my cars. Both running fine Had them to cruse nites on Fisher blvd in TR. no more racing. Spending all my money on the boat. I’ve seen Tommy M lately he’s working all the time. Hello to Ralph and Jerry. Hope to catch up to you guys at Atco. If it’s still active. In 21.
Sure I remember, I'm doing great still living now in senior land in Whiting. Car is gone racing days are over but I hope to get to Atco this summer if Covid is under control! I was at Thrust last week and saw Rob F. Mike is working him to death! LOL
Old 01-13-2021, 05:07 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by 16Again
Where is Edgar (REDGAR) these days?
Edgar is down in your neck of the woods, but on the nice side of the state - gulf...

We text occasionally. He is well. No racing. His car, now, my car, has been on jack stands for 4 years in the middle of an extensive rebuild.

Get notified of new replies

To 2020