Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

60' time practice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 03:41 PM
frankinvett84
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 60' time practice?

does anyone practice launching besides at the track? Ive been trying to do it in empty parking lots with an app. on my phone that shows 60' times. the times it has been giving me seem really high so I dont know how accurate it is. I was just wondering if there was some way to practice and get reliable times. I know gps technology has come a long way so maybe with with a Garmin or an accurate app for a phone . thanks
Old 03-11-2018, 12:00 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

I could just see a cop sitting all the way across the mall parking lot watching. Full Throttle lunch, stay on the gas for second-and-a-half, slam on the brakes. Repeat.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:41 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by frankinvett84
does anyone practice launching besides at the track? Ive been trying to do it in empty parking lots with an app. on my phone that shows 60' times. the times it has been giving me seem really high so I dont know how accurate it is. I was just wondering if there was some way to practice and get reliable times. I know gps technology has come a long way so maybe with with a Garmin or an accurate app for a phone . thanks
No offense, but what you're doing is a complete waste of time on two fronts.

Number one, regardless of whether or not your phone is reporting your times accurately they'll never be as good in a parking lot as they would be on a properly prepped track.

Second, getting good 60ft times require pretty much no practice whatsoever. With the exception of staging the car as shallow as possible, this doesn't fall into the category of "things will get better after additional seat time".
Old 03-13-2018, 08:01 PM
eddie-d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the Garmin will offer more accurate readings than the app. I have the VIRB camera which also has GPS and the times are close to the times at 1/4 mile tracks but not exact.

Is your car manual? If so, I completely agree that practing will certainly help you get a better feel for balancing the clutch and gas and minimize wheel spin.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:51 PM
frankinvett84
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for replies. The reason Im practicing is if I just mash the gas pedal all I do is spin the tires. If I try different rpms to launch I can get less spin then floor it. Is that the way most of you guys with autos do it or do you just floor it?
Old 03-16-2018, 09:10 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

thanks for replies. The reason Im practicing is if I just mash the gas pedal all I do is spin the tires. If I try different rpms to launch I can get less spin then floor it. Is that the way most of you guys with autos do it or do you just floor it?
You need better tires and/or a better surface.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:04 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Assuming a stock converter, learn how high the rpm and rolling into the throttle works on lots of different surfaces. The more often you can conquer poor surfaces, the quicker you can learn how to get a great launch at the track. Not all tracks are prepped the same, so you just have to dial yourself into the current conditions. You may find the sweet spot in 1 pass, but at least you'll have at good idea what adjustments you need to make to get a good launch. Be one with the car.

Get notified of new replies

To 60' time practice?

Quick Reply: 60' time practice?