Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Winnah, Winnah....chicken dinnah.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Winnah, Winnah....chicken dinnah.....

and a good bit more....

I won the "Rebel Yell" no box event at Savannah River Dragway on Saturday night...$2500.00 and an IHRA Ironman trophy....pic a friend took...

I'm the fat guy in the white shirt...the young man in the orange shorts won the Ironman in Juniors...his Mom and Dad are behind him....his Dad is who I beat in the final....he drove the purple Malibu in the pic...

It was the craziest event I have ever raced in...8 rounds of nuttiness...my day started off with a guy bashing in my drivers side door with his 4 wheeler....sheesh...my buddy lost his front bumper on a wheels up launch in the fourth round on that Malibu...

We got there on Friday afternoon and it was crazy hot with a 104 heat index...before I could make a test hit the skies opened up and we were done so we headed back to the hotel....the next day we got to the track at 11AM...again stupid hot...105 heat index and gnats that ate you alive...

Anyway, they called us for the first time shot and the idiot crashed into my door...I got it to close so I took my run...the slip showed I went 45.44 seconds...huh?...we were only supposed to get one time shot but they gave us two....yippee!....unfortunately I went in too deep so my second run was slow...

The timing system they were using was America's something or other...I swear they bought it at Dollar General.....on sale...all the lights were white and the drop lights were covered over in black plastic so you could only see them as they lit...tough for a bottom bulber to focus on the last bulb when you don't know where it is...

They finally called first round and I get a grudge car dialed 5.53...yipers!...oh yeah, they put your reaction times up on the big boards as you launch for everyone to see including your opponent...say what!...we told them they should not be doing that but they said the fans like it, end of discussion...

Well I cut a mind blowing .080 and win in a walk...my opponent went by me at 150 mph but was .414 on the tree...second round I do much better on the tree with a .103 light...say what?...I win again to a slower .145...wth is going on here...

Third round I line up with a Monza dialed 6.45...I still have 7.05 on my window since I have been whomping like crazy so far...I leave and he goes red...I run it out to get a solid time to dial from...I run 6.99...yikes!...thank the stars for his red eye...btw, my tree was a beauty... a .113...I'm getting worse and cannot figure it out...

I'm talking to a local racer in the pits about the tree and it hits me...I am late because the tree is some type I have never seen before...all the bulbs are white AND it has a black plastic shield covering the bulbs that drop for launch...I focus on the third bulb but you cannot even see it until it lights up on this Dollar General piece of doo-doo.....sheesh...

Anyway, it is obvious a lot of folks are struggling with their lights so I try to really focus on the bottom on the dark plastic...this worked as you will see...

Fourth round I line up with a racer I know from Va....he dials his truck at 7.08 and off we go...I catch him early and actually lift a hundred feet from the finish line....I coast through for the win....but wait!...his light comes on...could I have broken out?...I get my slip and start boiling....I had dialed 7.02 and was holding three...no big deal except they put my dial in the puter as...are you ready?....7.17...how they got that I do not know...

I calmed down after a bit and went to the tower...they admitted a big mistake and put me back in the next round...like I said this was some nutty deal...

Fifth round I get a full size pick up from South Carolina I know as well...he looks like farmer Joe with a long grey beard and bib overall's...no kiddin'...nice fella and he dials 7.95...I put 6.98 on mine based on the 330' from the previous race...he leaves and I get him with a .002 tree...see ya my friend...

He comes over to my pit to shake hands and we see a white Nova going up the staging lanes in our class...the guy goes nuts because they told him there was 10 cars left that round...he had earned the buy with a .001 tree but had to run me instead...now they send some late comer down on a bye run?...he took off running for the tower, bib overall's a flappin' and beard going horizontal...they put him back in as well...confused yet?...lol...

Now we are down to seven cars with him back in and I get the bye run...it was the best bye to get since it puts me in the money at four cars...I am package racing at this point because the car is so killer... I run it out and go 6.98, dead on...tree was .027...not to bad...I took the left lane for a change in case I got put in it by coin toss...

At four cars I race up first when they call us even though my battery is getting real low...I had left my fans on twice in the pits like an idiot...they draw 35 amps...sigh...I get there first and my buddy is last so we won't have to run each other, as planned...

I catch a hitter from Jesup, Ga....he dials 6.43 and I am at 6.98...I get him on the tree .016 to his .034...two rips to tighten it up and I lead him through ftw...finals here I come...

My buddy wins his round as well...also against a guy from Jesup, Ga....turns out they are buddies like us and trying to do the same as we are....meet each other in the final...sorry guys...

We started racing at Noon and it is now midnight...in the final I dial 6.98 and my buddy dials 6.47, holding 5...I leave green and so does he...at the first cone he parks it and I give it a one big whomp...I lead him through FTW!....I killed him on the tree and went 6.991 with that whomp...so I now proudly have my first Ironman...

The irony is I beat my engine builder and the guy who made my car deadly, which took three years, so he sort of beat himself.....lol....

At least I now have the money to fix my door and the oil leak we found when I loaded up at 2AM....

Next stop is South Georgia for the three 5 grander's over Labor Day weekend...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 07-28-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:12 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Holy crap! Congrats on the win!

That's some seriously odd stuff going on at that track.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:21 PM
Capo2ndFret
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can hear the banjos playing from here.

Congrats!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:02 PM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

You deserve a 10 Thumbs UP. It was worth the drive going up there................................:th umbs:
Old 07-28-2014, 06:31 PM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Very Nice.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:14 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Good story & congrats

Did they really post the RT on the board the whole event.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 PM
99ZX9R
Drifting

Great job. Congrats!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:27 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks everyone...yes, they did show the R/T's on every launch...my buddy came up to me after the final and said when he saw my R/t and then his he knew he was toast...lol...

I decided to never look at the R/T's on the board...I did not want to change my routine and goof things up...I played it straight and it worked out for me...

Another crazy deal was that they never showed the dial in's before you raced...no way to check if they had it correct or not...that was what led to my issue...sheesh...
Old 07-29-2014, 06:52 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Congrats!!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:58 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Nice to see you again, if it is just he winner pic, Fuzzy.

Congrats.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by REDGAR
Nice to see you again, if it is just he winner pic, Fuzzy.

Congrats.
Hey Edgar...you coming out to play anytime soon?...
Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Nice work!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

Congrats Dan. Nice job. That Ironman looks great in your hand.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks Bob...now the bad news...this is where the idiot on the ATV hit me...cannot be fixed, needs replacing.....sigh...

An air freshener might be a nice touch...lol...I was going to paint the car if I won this event but now I have the damn door to fix...oh well...I guess it stays in black primer for a while longer...no wax for me...he he he...

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 08-01-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:15 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
Hey Edgar...you coming out to play anytime soon?...
Not feeling it Dan. Maybe visit one weekend..in the winter of course
Old 08-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It's always a joy to read your stories Fuzzy...and they are even better when there is a happy ending!

Well except for the door. Only good thing is I think there were 10 million of those doors produced so you shouldn't have trouble finding a decent one for a decent price.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:24 AM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats
Old 08-12-2014, 02:32 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Belated congrats Dan. Great driving and a nice win. Always like reading your write-ups.

Get notified of new replies

To Winnah, Winnah....chicken dinnah.....

Quick Reply: Winnah, Winnah....chicken dinnah.....