Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

"Shakin' it here Boss"......

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 01:10 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default "Shakin' it here Boss"......

Well, not shakin' that but I was shakin' the rust off today...I have a money race next weekend up near Savannah so I needed to get some seat time...I hadn't been in the car since two passes at a Funday Sunday on June 1st...

I went to a non points event at Orlando Speedworld...I ran in the Pro ET class and did not expect much...got to the track at 2:15PM and it was stupid hot...if it wasn't for next weekend I would never be racing today...temp was right at 98* in the pits and the humidity was right at 89%...sheesh....the track temp was 152*...

Anyway, we got three time shots and the rust showed...I was .060, .103 and .116 on the tree....yipers!....the car ran great going 7.06, 7.08 (I'll explain in a sec) and 7.054....that 7.08 was due to Chief Dan Blackcloud...when I put the car in gear to head for the puddle the pull back handle on the shifter came loose and fell forward...sigh...

I knew the car would not shift when the solenoid pushed the plunger forward with that handle like it was...I fiddled with it and got it back up so I could at least run...I did my burn out and then realized I had forgotten to turn my fans on and was at 180* coolant temp...crapola...

My burn out sucked as well and the car moved to the center line immediately...I drove through it but went a slow 7.08...always something...the good news is I tightened up a bolt that had backed out and all was well...

They called first round at 6:17PM and it was still 95* but the humidity was now 91%...I threw a 7.05 dial on the car and lined up with an S-10 dialed 7.92...he went .017 red but I may have had him anyway...I found a little focus and went dead on 3 with a .027 tree...

Round two at 7:24PM and the temp has dropped to 90* but the humidity is now 93%...the air is like breathing soup...I leave the 7.05 on the window and catch another S-10 dialed 8.54 this time...he leaves green and so do I...we both missed the tree...him with a .052 light to my .054...I catch him and whomp when I pass his bumper for the win...I go 7.069....

Next round I get a friend from Palm Beach in a nice 74 Nova...he dials 6.86 to my....yup...7.05...I pre stage and he never shows up...he was leaking something so I take a competition bye run....missed the tree again with a .036 and run 7.069 out the back door...huh?...what is up with that...

Fourth round I get a good friend...it is 96 Collector on this forum...fooey!...he is going rounds in two classes, Pro ET and Street...well, he dials 8.43 to my 7.06...yes, I added one number based on the previous round...of course y'all know what happened...I ran 7.055 going 5 thou under but wait...there's more...

My good buddy treated me like a red headed step child or a rented mule, your pick...he mathematically eliminated me with a .023 package to my sterling .050 light...he stomped me, he stepped on my neck...I will get you for that, Rick...lol...he was .007 and 16 over...

So my night was done but Rick ended up in the finals in both classes...he was killing the tree all night...he lost both but still had a heck of a night and cool payday...the no good double dipping so and so...OK I'll get over it...seriously, great driving buddy...

A shout out to another forum racer, Big Mac...he went rounds in both classes as well with his supercharged C-5...I wanted some seat time and I got it with 7 time slips...

Next stop is Savannah River Dragway next Friday...Gamblers on Friday night and No Box event on Saturday...$2500 to win for a 50 dollar entry...$1000 second and $500 third and fourth, guaranteed money, no minimum car count...even though I am on my off season break I could not pass this one up...

Next event after this is the SGMP Labor Day weekend event in Valdosta Ga....$5,000 to win on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for $150 total entry fee...woot!...
Old 07-20-2014, 07:55 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

FD,

Glad that you decided to come out last night. I did not see any rust on you! Your buddy Rick with the C4 is one hell of a racer. If he puts any more win stickers on that back window he won't be able to see out! No shame in losing to him.

Good luck next weekend in Ga.

Jim
Old 07-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
FD,

Glad that you decided to come out last night. I did not see any rust on you! Your buddy Rick with the C4 is one hell of a racer. If he puts any more win stickers on that back window he won't be able to see out! No shame in losing to him.

Good luck next weekend in Ga.

Jim
Thanks Jim...yes, the Rickster can hurt ya...I'll get him next time...lol...I almost went off the button after the timeshots...I just need to tighten up the tree...see you soon, my friend...
Old 07-20-2014, 11:31 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Good job Dan. Best of success in savannah. I've been there many times and never knew there's a track there.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:26 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Another entertaining story.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Capthuff
Good job Dan. Best of success in savannah. I've been there many times and never knew there's a track there.
I did not know either, Pete...the track is about 40 miles northwest of Savannah on Rt. 21 (Savannah Hwy.)...just a little 1/8 mile affair...real country folks...the event is called Rebel Yell and should be fun...
Old 07-21-2014, 07:38 PM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a racing hangover on Sunday.............LOL....... Talk about hot I counted up my time slips and I had 17 runs maybe 18 I think I lost a time slip. I sure didn't have time to rest Little bit of water and off racing again. Got home on Sunday around 11 AM and laid on the couch and I stayed there for the rest of the day good lazy day.

Good to see my friends up at speedworld nice meeting you Jim we will see you next time I'm up there who knows maybe I will make the next race up there in August............ By the way nice write up Dan... And good luck on your next race keep us posted.

Get notified of new replies

To "Shakin' it here Boss"......

Quick Reply: "Shakin' it here Boss"......