Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Fast shifting technique

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 06:11 AM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Fast shifting technique

Hello all,

My 08 C6 is my 12th or 13th manual car in the last 15 years, so I am no stranger to 3 pedals.

I used to be able to bang gears pretty well. When running automatic or dual clutch cars I never fall back between shifts

But now with my C6, I have trouble with lightning quick 2nd to 3rd shifts. It started out with 3rd gear not wanting to go into its gate sometimes, and I fixed this by taking away my thumb and just using the palm to guide the gear into 3rd using its natural centering force.

But I feel that the issue is the timing between clutching in + shifting + clutching out - if I mis-time any of these by even a millisecond I get a nice grind. I have never had this kind of issue before!

Now I've had my tuner comment on my clutch possibly being on its way out due to how high the engagement point is. The clutch isn't slipping as I tried going wide open throttle in 6th gear at 1000rpm and there is no slippage there.

I tried Ranger's technique of sitting in the car while it's turned off and shifting through the gears but it's very different when I'm wide open throttle nearing redline in 2nd gear - the clutch pedal and gear lever become MUCH harder to move.

Any comments? I will try to Ranger clutch fluid change very soon and see if that helps. Might get a short shifter as well though my issue is with the timing of the clutch pedal + right hand shifting; I can move from gear to gear very quickly already.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:23 PM
furiousox
Pro

Hmm 50 views and no response, perhaps I didn't really make the point of my post clear, my apologies

Basically I'm trying to figure out how to shift from 2nd to 3rd as quickly as possible.

Perhaps I can anticipate the shift by stepping into the clutch pedal starting at 6200rpm then stab the clutch + move the gear lever from 2nd to 3rd very quickly as soon as the tach hits 6500rpm. I think the key with my car is to have the clutch pedal ready way before the actual movement of the gear lever.

I can't really tell if the occasional gear grind is occurring due to me not clutching in fast enough when I'm moving the gear lever, or due to me releasing the clutch pedal too early, before the gear is actually in 3rd.

I know I might over complicating the crap out of this issue, but I've had this car for about 2 years and put about 50k miles on it already, and this 2nd to 3rd shift is still giving me trouble from time to time. Trying to figure out if it's a technique issue, or perhaps somebody with similar experience can chime in on any possible improvements to the car's mechanical parts, such as clutch fluid, new clutch (hopefully not), different tranny fluid, etc.

As far as I know my car is running all factory fluids.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:41 AM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

When you switch to a short throw shifter, you'll wonder how you lived without it. You can shift with your fingers instead of your whole arm (not that that is necessarily the best method, but it shows you how reduced the travel is).
Old 07-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

If the synchros are good and the clutch is up to par, then all that's left is technique. 2-3 is the most difficult shift to do FAST....Keep practicing and don't over think it...just do it..

Ron
Old 07-15-2014, 08:10 PM
furiousox
Pro

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
When you switch to a short throw shifter, you'll wonder how you lived without it. You can shift with your fingers instead of your whole arm (not that that is necessarily the best method, but it shows you how reduced the travel is).
Yeah i've been considering the short shifter, but I keep running into mixed reviews...

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
If the synchros are good and the clutch is up to par, then all that's left is technique. 2-3 is the most difficult shift to do FAST....Keep practicing and don't over think it...just do it..

Ron
Definitely. Not sure how I can ascertain that the synchros are fine. The clutch is grabbing at 1000rpm in 6th gear under full throttle, so that means it's perfectly fine right?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Be careful trying to shift 2 to 3 too fast. After I broke my transmission the second time I gave up on that. The T56 has a weak third gear blocker ring that will crack in half...which means an expensive trans rebuild. When that happens you can't get into third unless you jam the bejezzus out of it and it grinds.

I broke my blocker ring on the pass before the pass in my sig and I was mad, so I beat on the car on this run and made my quickest pass to date.

Here's a in car of my shifting. Not fast, but I've got 497 passes on this OE clutch.

The Ranger in car method fixed my problem 8 years ago when i went from c5 to c6. I kept missing third in the c6 as the gate is narrower, now I'm used to it and as long as I leave my thumb out it's fine. I'd say do the fluid maintenance and keep with the Ranger shifting drill and you'll get better.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:19 PM
furiousox
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Be careful trying to shift 2 to 3 too fast. After I broke my transmission the second time I gave up on that. The T56 has a weak third gear blocker ring that will crack in half...which means an expensive trans rebuild. When that happens you can't get into third unless you jam the bejezzus out of it and it grinds.
Damn you can drive

3rd gear having weak blocker ring...I have an 08 so the tranny is a TR6060...does it have the same issue?
Old 07-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by furiousox
Damn you can drive

3rd gear having weak blocker ring...I have an 08 so the tranny is a TR6060...does it have the same issue?
Thanks!

Your transmission is a lot stronger so that's great.

I strongly suggest you do the Ranger clutch fluid until it remains clear - may take a few times to get it that way, with a few days/drives in between.

Then just practice..you'll get it. I posted up a very similar thread as you 8 years ago asking for shifter advice (you'll get it, people who buy shifters always talk them up, but I've driven cars with them and I hate the tight gate and heavy effort of them). Ranger piped in with his shifting drill, I did it a few times...and never looked back.

Oh one other thing. The stock shifter box bushings do wear out and cause sloppy shifting.

Zip sells them and has how-to pics. It's easy and there are threads on it if you need more instruction. Fresh bushings are a nice change and really firm up the shifter:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...shing-kit.html
Old 07-16-2014, 06:32 PM
furiousox
Pro

Thanks!

Your transmission is a lot stronger so that's great.

I strongly suggest you do the Ranger clutch fluid until it remains clear - may take a few times to get it that way, with a few days/drives in between.

Then just practice..you'll get it. I posted up a very similar thread as you 8 years ago asking for shifter advice (you'll get it, people who buy shifters always talk them up, but I've driven cars with them and I hate the tight gate and heavy effort of them). Ranger piped in with his shifting drill, I did it a few times...and never looked back.

Oh one other thing. The stock shifter box bushings do wear out and cause sloppy shifting.

Zip sells them and has how-to pics. It's easy and there are threads on it if you need more instruction. Fresh bushings are a nice change and really firm up the shifter:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...shing-kit.html
Geez posts like this is what makes the internet so great

Yeah I will definitely clean out my clutch fluid.

Thanks so much for linking the thread - the links in there no longer work, by any chances are these the bushings?

http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...category/8287/

My car does have near 80k miles so I will switch them out just for the heck of it. This combined with the clutch fluid will hopefully fix this issue, otherwise it's probably the synchro
Old 07-16-2014, 06:38 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Geez posts like this is what makes the internet so great

Yeah I will definitely clean out my clutch fluid.

Thanks so much for linking the thread - the links in there no longer work, by any chances are these the bushings?

http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...category/8287/

My car does have near 80k miles so I will switch them out just for the heck of it. This combined with the clutch fluid will hopefully fix this issue, otherwise it's probably the synchro
With 80k you are due for bushings, you'll like how nice the shifter will feel when you are done. It's an easy job and yes, that's the product you linked.

If you need instructions let me know, but it's an easy job. There's a hidden screw for the console top under the brake boot, just pull the boot up and you'll see it.

When you change the bushings you'll need to realign the shifter (it probably won't be off but the alignment pin is in the front of the factory box so might as well do it). Again, instructions are in the C6 Tech forum, if you strike out let me know and I'll find them for you. Easy job.

I've learned a ton from this forum, and it makes me happy to help someone out who's embarking on a road I've already traveled. Hit me up for any questions you may have, I'm happy to help but not on so much anymore (my new toy is in my sig) so PM me if I don't respond.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:40 PM
furiousox
Pro

With 80k you are due for bushings, you'll like how nice the shifter will feel when you are done. It's an easy job and yes, that's the product you linked.

If you need instructions let me know, but it's an easy job. There's a hidden screw for the console top under the brake boot, just pull the boot up and you'll see it.

When you change the bushings you'll need to realign the shifter (it probably won't be off but the alignment pin is in the front of the factory box so might as well do it). Again, instructions are in the C6 Tech forum, if you strike out let me know and I'll find them for you. Easy job.

I've learned a ton from this forum, and it makes me happy to help someone out who's embarking on a road I've already traveled. Hit me up for any questions you may have, I'm happy to help but not on so much anymore (my new toy is in my sig) so PM me if I don't respond.
Thank you so much Joe! I will order the bushings and install them and see what happens.

Nice new toy you got there
Old 07-21-2014, 12:12 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Definitely. Not sure how I can ascertain that the synchros are fine. The clutch is grabbing at 1000rpm in 6th gear under full throttle, so that means it's perfectly fine right?
No...There are synchros for each gear...You're talking about if the clutch is slipping or not. Very different.

Get notified of new replies

To Fast shifting technique

Quick Reply: Fast shifting technique