Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Need Helmet Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:06 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need Helmet Recommendation

Our local track follows NHRA rules, so I'm going to need a helmet in order to race my '92 Vette. I haven't been able to find anything specific, but was told that the type of helmet required varies depending on the speed (E.T.) of the car. Mine should run in the mid-to-high 12's. Can anyone tell me what type of helmet I will need and where to get the best price?
Old 05-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

NHRA 2014 rules state any car running 14.00 or faster requires a Snell 2005 or newer helmet. Try Jegs, Summit, or HelmetCity.com

Last edited by Turbo Bob; 05-28-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Do yourself a favor and get a Snell SA2010 helmet, not a SA2005 since they will be out of date soon...also, what type of racing you are doing denotes what type of helmet, to some extent...the NHRA accepts "M" rated helmets (motorcycle) for cars as well but they do not have the fireproof interior material...

If you are going to bracket race, an open helmet is preferred since you want as much visibility as possible to keep an eye on your opponent...also, if it is very hot, you can wipe the sweat out of your eyes before staging...

A full face helmet is required for the real fast cars but you don't need one...some feel safer with a full face helmet but that is simply a personal choice...

There are a number of internet sites that have good deals on helmets, some with free shipping...safe racer, RCI, etc...here is one with free shipping...

http://www.racingdirect.com/Racing-H...duct_info.html

Last edited by Fuzzy Dice; 05-28-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:08 PM
Mike Beck
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The helmets are good for 12 years, so a 2005 will be out of date in 2017. If you plan on staying in the sport, then opt for a newer-rated helmet now.

I love my open face, but can't use it anymore. They used to let me slide with lows 10's as long as I kept it below 135mph.

The last few years they have also been enforcing the 1/8 mile rules, so lifting early and holding a lot is no good anymore............

The full face helmet sucks when it's hot and or humid, and the neck collar makes it difficult to look-down at your belts. Not too bad for turning your head side to side. The main purpose is a fire prevention device.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:17 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't buy a "M" helmet, which means Motorcycle = no fire retardant liner
Old 05-29-2014, 07:17 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Stander
Our local track follows NHRA rules, so I'm going to need a helmet in order to race my '92 Vette. I haven't been able to find anything specific, but was told that the type of helmet required varies depending on the speed (E.T.) of the car. Mine should run in the mid-to-high 12's. Can anyone tell me what type of helmet I will need and where to get the best price?
Helmet City is a excellent vendor with great pricing and customer service. I have a Pyrotect open face helmet and I am very satisfied.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Helmet Recommendation

Quick Reply: Need Helmet Recommendation