Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Effects of DA on ET

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:52 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
a perfect scenario. but in all reality the 70 degree temp 30.3 barometer and 0 dew point will produce a better et
Agreed if tuned for it
Old 06-27-2013, 07:01 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 99ZX9R
Absolutely. A great example of that is our buddy Andrew (94z28racecar). He runs indexes and brackets at both Atco and Etown, but also loves to move up that fast list in the C5Z section when the air cools off.
Same with Gary and a few others (Pete, myself and even you as well in the past ) as well.
I used to be an 'ET chaser ONLY' kinda guy back in the day until I tried pro tree index racing and caught that bug.
Nowadays, I'm more likely to just take the roof off and cruise a bit LOL.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:27 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Agreed if tuned for it
No! on my everyday stock tune, i never change my tune, only what the pcm does from the maf, a higher BP produces more power a lower dew point produces more power and better traction. I will take a 30.50 12 dewpoint at 55 degrees any day over 40 29.99BP nd 34 dewpoint even if the DA was within a 400 ft
Old 06-27-2013, 07:39 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

No! on my everyday stock tune, i never change my tune, only what the pcm does from the maf, a higher BP produces more power a lower dew point produces more power and better traction. I will take a 30.50 12 dewpoint at 55 degrees any day over 40 29.99BP nd 34 dewpoint even if the DA was within a 400 ft
Agreed you're tuned well, warmer and drier could cause reduced timing depending on the tune
Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Agreed you're tuned well, warmer and drier could cause reduced timing depending on the tune
maybe on a car that runs hot, i can run 5 hot laps any day and on the line the car will be 181
Old 06-27-2013, 09:29 PM
99ZX9R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Same with Gary and a few others (Pete, myself and even you as well in the past ) as well.
I used to be an 'ET chaser ONLY' kinda guy back in the day until I tried pro tree index racing and caught that bug.
Nowadays, I'm more likely to just take the roof off and cruise a bit LOL.
You are indeed correct! You and Gary are also great examples (Rob Z is another one that comes to mind).

Seems ET chasing is how a lot of us got started. But some (Pete and I) got more hooked than others on index/bracket stuff to the point that it becomes all consuming.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:17 PM
futuretech
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpee
Yes I'd like to see that also as I have a "TAG" weather station that will predict my ET based on the "corrected Alt" (It needs 4 runs in the data base to start predicting ET's..

I will take the Temp. Humidity, & Barometer & give me a Corrected Alt. When I race I just put it in the shade for about 10 min for it to get the correct readings, & it will predict my ET within .03 EVERY time unless I spin the tires etc...

I can use the Corrected Alt. that it gets from its built in Thermometer, and it gets the Baro. & Humidity also... OR

I can enter the readings if I want so give me the 3 readings & I can give you the corrected Alt. you are racing at...
JP
How reliable are the predictions from that weather station?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by futuretech
JP
How reliable are the predictions from that weather station?
Its only as good as the info you put into it.. but mine will predict my ET within .02 EVERY TIME unless I spin the tires...

After you/I get a data base of say 5+ runs, then when I enter a run it will tell me how much FASTER or SLOWER I ran compared to what it thinks I should have run...

What it actually does is take all the runs you enter in it, and take all the ET's and average them out (it bases its ET prediction on the weather...Temp, Barometer, Humidity, that I enter at the time of the run)
Old 06-28-2013, 01:35 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 323 Likes on 264 Posts

Your car will only remove timing on hot days when you let it heat soak. And only then if the IAT/Timing table is stock.

Most performance tunes will reset that table. Most car that race have a good cold air intake. And most of us open the hood between runs.

Better air makes power. If you log the right parameters during a run, the data will tell you. You get more cylinder fill. The MAF measures more airflow. It's really pretty cool.

Ron
Old 06-28-2013, 11:00 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Your car will only remove timing on hot days when you let it heat soak. And only then if the IAT/Timing table is stock.

Most performance tunes will reset that table. Most car that race have a good cold air intake. And most of us open the hood between runs.

Better air makes power. If you log the right parameters during a run, the data will tell you. You get more cylinder fill. The MAF measures more airflow. It's really pretty cool.

Ron
Exactly you never know with a car that some one magically runs faster or slower than they should in slightly different DAs was the point. Not everyone pays close attention to the little details ie tune, setup, temps, logs.

maybe on a car that runs hot, i can run 5 hot laps any day and on the line the car will be 181
Not everyone has an EWP
Old 06-28-2013, 12:02 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Exactly you never know with a car that some one magically runs faster or slower than they should in slightly different DAs was the point. Not everyone pays close attention to the little details ie tune, setup, temps, logs.

Not everyone has an EWP
it ran cooler with the stock, its the 160 stat plus the Cartek fan module, it turns the fans on 100% at 181 and will take it down to 174 and shut off, its been on my car since a couple months old and no fan problems, or connection problems. I have no fan switch or water pump switch, most the time i run with cardboard covering the radiator

Quick Reply: Effects of DA on ET