Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

NHRA 10.90 diaper rule...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:44 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default NHRA 10.90 diaper rule...

Is everyone aware of the new NHRA diaper rule ?? 10.90's or quicker......

My local track is NHRA certified and is very strict on saftey and the rules. But my track will allow TNT and "open" track events such as midnights to slide on the 10.90 rule. But any and all bracket racers or any heads up class will require a SFI cert. engine diaper for cars running 10.90 or quicker.

What are our diaper options for C5's and C6's ??

And why did the NHRA pick 10.90.?? Most of the sugnificant rules are imposted at 9.99. 10.90 seems slow for such a rule. The only thing I can think of is the E-classes, guys running 10.90's @ 150 with throttle stops.

I mean sh*t...guys are running 10.90.with stock C6Z's......

Thanks.....

Old 01-03-2012, 07:04 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC
And why did the NHRA pick 10.90.?? Most of the sugnificant rules are imposted at 9.99.
Well, they likely mean 10.99 or quicker, right? Not actually 10.90 I assume.
And I agree, it does seem a little on the slow side for such a rule.

Good point.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:54 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That might be up the the track to enforce that type of rule.

Example: Capital Raceway makes all cars 11.50 & quicker run straight water, which I think is also an NHRA rule.

I hope long hair isn't reading this crap.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:57 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Like you i have been following the thread on yellowbullet.
My view on diapers= i blew my LT1 in 2006 at the Corvette Challenge race in Virgina at 118 mph. Blew the rods right out of the block and was lucky it didn't go on it's roof...it can happen at any speed...
Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Damn, roll bars, harnesses, diapers...I'm glad I only dabble a little bit in the 10s during the off season LOL. Sometimes it's good to go slower.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:33 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

since we kinda run a 10.50 headsup class, can someone give me more detail on this before we call it an end to a great class?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by REDGAR
since we kinda run a 10.50 headsup class, can someone give me more detail on this before we call it an end to a great class?
Without raising too many flags/drawing too much attention to it or getting into too much detail, I personally don't believe that this will be an issue at all for the Corvette 10.50 racers.
I would only suggest that everyone be sure that their helmets are 2005 or later, that their belts aren't expired and mounted to their correctly installed roll bars properly and they should be fine.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Tsab
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Without raising too many flags/drawing too much attention to it or getting into too much detail, I personally don't believe that this will be an issue at all for the Corvette 10.50 racers.
I would only suggest that everyone be sure that their helmets are 2005 or later, that their belts aren't expired and mounted to their correctly installed roll bars properly and they should be fine.
I would say yes, but you really don't know until you get tech'ed in.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:56 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tsab
I would say yes, but you really don't know until you get tech'ed in.
True, and it would suck to wake up early, pay the entry fee and wait in long lines only to be told you can't race because your car isn't wearing it's 'Depends' LOL.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:08 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=438319

here is some insight on maybe what to expect. I posted in this thread towards the end. I have cooled down a little because when I first read about this on my local board I was pissed. And I apologized for being to quick on passing judgement. Anyway read on and see what you guys think......

How in the hell are some of the late model cars who index or braket race suppost to put a diaper on ?? seriously ??

Again...I'd like to know about an engine diaper for a C5....please....I planed on index racing next year. Now what ??

And here is my local boards (Tulsaracewaypark) thread...fyi...it was locked to keep the bit*hing to a minimum.
http://tulsaracewaypark.com/forum2/i...&topic=22678.0

thanks....

Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

They do raise some good points there, a diaper could prevent some accidents and would definitely save time as far as clean ups go, be it from a hurt motor or even someone tapping the wall, and that benefits everyone.
But on the other hand, should 10.50 racers such as Shawn, Tommy, Russ, Greg or even Tsab who do drive their cars to the track really be required to put one of these things on their cars?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

From what I am seeing, I am pretty confident it applies to the Super Street NHRA class not general racing at 10.90. I do also believe a track can impose this on any class but I doubt they will.

As for getting one if you still want it, I thought I saw somewhere here that someone adapted a generic one to fit the C5. I will do some searching and reach out to some folks.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:20 PM
The Bat Car
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.racingjunk.com/Engines-Co...n-Non-SFI.html

This will meet the requirements for sportsman classes. It is NON -SFI but is accepted.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Fordracer9
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Is everyone aware of the new NHRA diaper rule ?? 10.90's or quicker......

My local track is NHRA certified and is very strict on saftey and the rules. But my track will allow TNT and "open" track events such as midnights to slide on the 10.90 rule. But any and all bracket racers or any heads up class will require a SFI cert. engine diaper for cars running 10.90 or quicker.

What are our diaper options for C5's and C6's ??

And why did the NHRA pick 10.90.?? Most of the sugnificant rules are imposted at 9.99. 10.90 seems slow for such a rule. The only thing I can think of is the E-classes, guys running 10.90's @ 150 with throttle stops.

Thanks.....

Fun fun fun... I really hope Redgar's right and this is a SS class only thing. You can't use one of those things on the street, they hold WAY to much heat in the motor/oil pan. same reason streecars should not be running around with balistic blankets on their transmissions.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:46 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bat Car
http://www.racingjunk.com/Engines-Co...n-Non-SFI.html

This will meet the requirements for sportsman classes. It is NON -SFI but is accepted.
You'd have to drop the cradle and cut the diaper around the ac, starter and engine mounts.
Not to mention all the other clearance problems like, the ac lines & belt, balancer, steering shaft and exhaust/header manifolds/down pipe on a tight Corvette engine compartment.

I think a custom made diaper would be the only way.

Imagine changing the oil with a diaper, you'd have to drop the cradle, remove the diaper to access the drain plug & filter.

Last edited by 4DRUSH; 01-04-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:33 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
You'd have to drop the cradle and cut the diaper around the ac, starter and engine mounts.
Not to mention all the other clearance problems like, the ac lines & belt, balancer, steering shaft and exhaust/header manifolds/down pipe on a tight Corvette engine compartment.

I think a custom made diaper would be the only way.

Imagine changing the oil with a diaper, you'd have to drop the cradle, remove the diaper to access the drain plug & filter.
True, I'd sooner give up racing altogether (or at least just keep it in the 11s) before going through all of that with a street car.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Tsab
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe they should rethink the rule and make it apply to those 15 sec
Imports that seem to mysteriously oil the track down on the Test & tune nights....

But seriously, if that becomes a rule for running quicker than 10.90 then I'm done. Its not that I'm against safety, its just that it makes the car kind of one dimentional. Its pretty much "just" a track car at that point. I'm not really sure you could drive the car on the hwy for hours on end with one of "those" things on it. Just my opinion for what its worth.

Get notified of new replies

To NHRA 10.90 diaper rule...

Old 01-05-2012, 01:10 AM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsab
Maybe they should rethink the rule and make it apply to those 15 sec
Imports that seem to mysteriously oil the track down on the Test & tune nights....
You nailed it on the nose !! Those 15 sec "IMPORTS" put more oil down on one Sat. than the whole CC does in a "FULL SEASON"
Old 01-05-2012, 03:40 AM
SheDevll C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jpee
You nailed it on the nose !! Those 15 sec "IMPORTS" put more oil down on one Sat. than the whole CC does in a "FULL SEASON"
xxxxxx2!!!!

Please keep us updated if this applies to us or not....
Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

Anybody figure out the details of this new rule ??

I also wonder what the et was for the diaper rule before this 10.90 et ??

I tried to call the LA division of NHRA and the Indy divison...but could not reach anyone on the phone.....just trying to get some clarification.

My track has said all cars running 10.90 or quicker with follow rule....that means any NHRA event, heads up classes, index racing and any bracket racing. The only cars that fall through the cracks are TNT nights and midnight drags.

Whats are some of the tracks you guys race at saying ?????

And I know some of you guys were looking into what diapers would work on our cars.....any luck or leads ???

Thanks......I would like to know if your tracks are enforcing the rule....because I would like to discuse it with my track based on what "other" tracks are doing.

Quick Reply: NHRA 10.90 diaper rule...