Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

How sleep affect your reaction time

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 02:06 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Glensgages
when I was racing twice a week, I eliminated caffeine all-together, and snacks/sweets after 6PM on any night before a race-day:
you wouldn't mix varying ratios of race-gas to pump-gas every week, so why do the same with your body?

I also had read where Gary Ormsby's crew-chief, Lee Beard, had access to former US Naval Aviator information, and it showed that a diet of pasta and/or chicken before a flight improved the way the brain, eyes, and limbs work in-conjunction with each-other, and Ormsby implemented this into his routine:
I ate a lotta chicken-parmesan in those days
Good ideas, I'll try it.

Originally Posted by Glensgages
I've had very-poor sleep patterns my entire life (you'll see me posting after midnight, and before dawn often)
Same here, (obviously, as it's after 2am at the moment and I'll still be up at least another two hours so I can watch Hot Rod TV/Motorweek LOL ).
Old 01-15-2010, 03:50 AM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Yeah I'd imagine that factoring in airport/flight delay issues and possible time zone changes only makes matters worse.
I've tried some sleep aids in the past (Unisom, even an Ambien once) and they work well in putting me right to sleep but always left me in a groggy, almost hangover type state the next day which could of course only hurt concentration on the track as much as lack of sleep can.
Tylenol PM might be a better option though because I think it has more mild ingredients, I might look into it for those Friday nights where I just have to be asleep by a certain hour.
Holy #$%^ Batman you gotta get into more "Potent" stuff to help you sleep.... I take "Knock Out Pills" then at the track I just take "Uppers" or 4 cans of Pepsi, & I'm Roaring to go.. I'm either .006 or .316 on the tree
Old 01-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 308 Likes on 138 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I have had insomnia since 1986...I cannot sleep more than 2-2.5 hours at any one time...often that is all I get for the night...sometimes I can get another 2-2.5 if I am really tired...

I have been to a sleep clinic, been on pills, the works and it did nothing...they tell me my mind will not shut down sufficiently to stay asleep...after 20 years I don't even think about it anymore....

The night before a race or any major event I have no chance of getting to sleep before 3 AM...matters not when I have to get up even if it is one hour later...

I believe the body adjusts itself to a large extent...I can cut lights with the best of them if my seat time is up...when I am rusty, not so much...for some reason, the bigger the event the better I focus...

Recently I raced a big event at Palm Beach...I went to bed at 1AM...got up at 3AM...on the road at 4 and picked up my buddy at 5:30...towed to the track, had a little problem but got there just in time...

I was running in the no box class against the trans brake boyz for the first time...my mind focused extra I guess because I went .007, .013 and .005 putting all on the trailer...I blew it on a bye run but, oh well...
Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

I tried the red bull alert thing but took it too far one day. Froget how many i had but found that I became very jittery and jittery on the gas pedal leads well, LBTA...leave before the tree is activated....no more red bull for me
Old 01-15-2010, 10:35 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Interesting note here, notice how the advertising banners are no longer about cars LOL
Old 01-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,070 Likes on 593 Posts

LOL.... I know drag racing is a lot like gunfights back in the old west. Of course Doc Holiday & Wyatt Earp would drink a half a bottle of whiskey before going out to battle the bad guys. The only difference was the bad guys usually drank a whole bottle of cheaper whiskey.. I'm sure that helped them all.. Thank heaven nobody tries their technique today !!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:02 AM
reoch999
Pro

Originally Posted by Vetter 1
Some get that much sleep on the tree.
A few years ago, on a day I went pretty deep into eliminations I was watching a tape of my losing run and after I cut a .2xx light, the announcer said "somebody get that guy a pillow" over the PA! I think about that every time I leave the burnout box ever since.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:49 PM
KyleBst264
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8 hours of sleep before race day for me. I will pack all my stuff two days before if I have to just to ensure I get 8 hours or more sleep the night before race day. I want to be 110% mentally.

I find if I drink an energy drink within an hour or two before racing it makes my reaction times very inconsistent. I'll drink coffee though. Energy drinks just screw my lights all up.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Paul_Z06
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by REDGAR
Interesting note here, notice how the advertising banners are no longer about cars LOL
Good observation. I noticed Depends and Ginko ads falsh across the screen as soon as jpee contributed to the discussion.

Sooooooooo what if I slept for 10-12 hours then woke up, got **** drunk, and went racing? Would the 10-12 hours of sleep negate the effects of alcohol?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Harry7239
Burning Brakes

theoretically, too much sleep would probably hurt your body's reaction time as well. studies show that most people will be drowsy if they oversleep on a day off to make up for the rest of the week or what have you.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:51 PM
WEB AIR
Pro

Originally Posted by Harry7239
theoretically, too much sleep would probably hurt your body's reaction time as well. studies show that most people will be drowsy if they oversleep on a day off to make up for the rest of the week or what have you.
Can you post a link please. I would like to read that study. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:07 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

theoretically, too much sleep would probably hurt your body's reaction time as well.
At times I have felt even more sluggish from too much sleep than I have from too little as well.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Harry7239
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WEB AIR
Can you post a link please. I would like to read that study. Thanks.
it's been a while since I read about it, but here's what I'm finding at the moment:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/10/30...cts/index.html
Old 01-24-2010, 10:41 PM
WEB AIR
Pro

it's been a while since I read about it, but here's what I'm finding at the moment:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/10/30...cts/index.html
Thanks Harry. I also feel drowsy sometimes after a nap but I have never read that it affects RT. Usually I can just shake it off which is why I wanted to read the article. I don't know about you but I think they have a lot of theories but no facts.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Harry7239
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WEB AIR
I don't know about you but I think they have a lot of theories but no facts.
I agree. Probably depends on the person, and maybe age as well. Surely some people are wired to work off a lot of sleep and others aren't.

Quick Reply: How sleep affect your reaction time