Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Corvette Challenge this weekend at PBIR in Jupiter, Fl.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:34 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by huskerC5ragtop
Sorry guys I will not make this one. Car needs a new MAF, torque convertor and new rubber . It has been sitting in the garage for the last 4 weeks. I'll try to get it scheduled it into HPSales sometime next month to get it back to track form. Have fun, be safe and don't break anything!

Jeff

Jeff I picked up a Brand New 85mm MAF on Ebay for less than $50
Shipped..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DELPH...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by chuckster
Jeff I picked up a Brand New 85mm MAF on Ebay for less than $50
Shipped..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DELPH...Q5fAccessories
Chuck don't you have the smaller MAF with separate IAT sensor? Did you buy a conversion harness? That's a 5 pin MAF with built in IAT and your harness is 3 pin, isn't it?

Wow I feel like an azz with nothing but bad news today! I sure hope I'm wrong and I might be, but I know Mike Clark tried to put one of those on his 98 and Mike Norris himself gave up after an hour of trying to tune it, it just wouldn't run right. He didn't have a conversion harness IIRC. He went back to his old MAF and it's running fine.

I just recalled I had to patch my car's OS to increase MAF headroom to 15000k..I think that's an 05 issue only, but reason I ask, what hz are you running when you get your stumble?
Old 04-29-2009, 11:03 PM
huskerC5ragtop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck, its actually more than just the MAF. Jeremy put in a speed density tune to get me home that night from the track, so he has to pull that tune out and reinstall my custom HPS tune. Once that gets straightened out I'm ready to hit that sucker with the full 200 shot and see what the next weakest link is!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by huskerC5ragtop
Chuck, its actually more than just the MAF. Jeremy put in a speed density tune to get me home that night from the track, so he has to pull that tune out and reinstall my custom HPS tune. Once that gets straightened out I'm ready to hit that sucker with the full 200 shot and see what the next weakest link is!!!
I'll place a wager...

Old 04-29-2009, 11:42 PM
WEB AIR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Good ideas, Mike will see this. The promotion is really the key IMHO.

We've kept money out of the Challenge series - in other tracks this series would be called a Trophy Series - we do that to keep arguments down. It's just racing for fun with your buddies. If you want to run for money we have a ET Bracket series.

Again just my humble opinion, which counts equal to yours! Keep the ideas coming.
Why would a cash payout cause arguments? With a cash payout you could also offer buy backs, first round. Again, more money for the track. A lot of guys will not race for a trophy when they can go elsewhere. I think you're losing some people to Orlando. In fact, I know you are.

Think about this. You say there is an ET Bracket series that runs for money. How does that help your car count in the Challenge series? Are there any other Challenges that race for trophies only?

I can promote a race with a cash payout. I wouldn't know how to draw people in for trophies. Payout is what draws in the cars. As the payout increases, the car count will increase.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:38 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Chuck don't you have the smaller MAF with separate IAT sensor? Did you buy a conversion harness? That's a 5 pin MAF with built in IAT and your harness is 3 pin, isn't it?

Wow I feel like an azz with nothing but bad news today! I sure hope I'm wrong and I might be, but I know Mike Clark tried to put one of those on his 98 and Mike Norris himself gave up after an hour of trying to tune it, it just wouldn't run right. He didn't have a conversion harness IIRC. He went back to his old MAF and it's running fine.

I just recalled I had to patch my car's OS to increase MAF headroom to 15000k..I think that's an 05 issue only, but reason I ask, what hz are you running when you get your stumble?

I am good to go Joe.. Yes I had the smaller MAF with Separate IAT..
I have a brand new Screenless Z06 MAF with integrated IAT AND 3 to 5wire harness conversion to use the built in IAT.

Mikes Car failed at the conversion because the PCM did not have cells to match the frequency values in the newer PCMS. They ran short..

My 2000 has all the correct tabs to populate with the correct Data from the 2002 PCM.. I am using the 2002 Z06 Table. Since I already have the LS6 intake manifold to boot... It should be plug and play with a minimum of tweakage if any..
Old 05-01-2009, 08:32 AM
96collector
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

One day to go.....
Old 05-01-2009, 04:34 PM
taaz024
Drifting

Originally Posted by WEB AIR
Why would a cash payout cause arguments? With a cash payout you could also offer buy backs, first round. Again, more money for the track. A lot of guys will not race for a trophy when they can go elsewhere. I think you're losing some people to Orlando. In fact, I know you are.

Think about this. You say there is an ET Bracket series that runs for money. How does that help your car count in the Challenge series? Are there any other Challenges that race for trophies only?

I can promote a race with a cash payout. I wouldn't know how to draw people in for trophies. Payout is what draws in the cars. As the payout increases, the car count will increase.

Thanks for your input. The Challenge series was originated as a trophy series. Most tracks, like ours, have a trophy series and a series that pays out. The Challenge series is more for those that want to race for fun not money. As a track manager, I see the difference between the two series types. In fact, we have a few Challenge guys and gals that race the challenge for a trophy and the E/T bracket for money. So, i would never add money to the Challenge series. I may add a payout class on the same night but not part of the Challenge.

I agree with running th Challenge night on the E/T Bracket night for financial reasons but the negative is that most bracket racers are on slicks and don't want the track torn apart by street tires and drag radials. Again, pro and con.

Promoting the event. Now that I completely agree with! PBIR is working on many things at one time. Promoting is one of those things. As Bob pointed out, Challenge racers will now be able to see points standings on our website. There will be continuous changes to move things forward. We appreciate everyones patience during this time. We also encourage all to help us grow to the better.

Last edited by taaz024; 05-01-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:32 PM
wanttospeed
Racer

Well, thanks to Jeremy and Roger (HorsePower Sales), I can race this weekend. Roger is letting me borrow his tires for Saturday. My new tires didn't arrive yet.
I also fixxed a brake line leak I had, flush my brakes and bled my clutch. Clean my intake filter, and washed my car.

Chuck, whats your excuse for not comming again????

Joe, I remember toi bring the tools for Mike.

See you guy's tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:58 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by wanttospeed
Well, thanks to Jeremy and Roger (HorsePower Sales), I can race this weekend. Roger is letting me borrow his tires for Saturday. My new tires didn't arrive yet.
I also fixxed a brake line leak I had, flush my brakes and bled my clutch. Clean my intake filter, and washed my car.

Chuck, whats your excuse for not comming again????

Joe, I remember toi bring the tools for Mike.

See you guy's tomorrow.

Doh! that was cold... I still dont have an Airbridge for the new MAF.. I found a source or 2...

I plan to change the Tranny Fluid tomorrow and clear coat my Calipers (the red faded a bit) reinstall the new pads...Clamp the Slip Fit in my headers and Then prewire for the Line lock

I hate taking it off the jack stands before its all done...
Old 05-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by chuckster
Doh! that was cold... I still dont have an Airbridge for the new MAF.. I found a source or 2...

I plan to change the Tranny Fluid tomorrow and clear coat my Calipers (the red faded a bit) reinstall the new pads...Clamp the Slip Fit in my headers and Then prewire for the Line lock

I hate taking it off the jack stands before its all done...
are you getting paid by the hour???? That work could be done by 9:30 am if you start by 8 and drank beer while you are doing it! LOL

Come on out and race Chuck. The track needs our support.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:33 AM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to seeing all of you today. I won't be racing, as I am still in the process of breaking in the new motor. I decided to not race the 86 Vette as it just isn't doing the job. I'll take a 10 point hit in the standings, but that is OK. Once I get this beast broke in and HPS does their final magic...watch out! Oh...and this 418 is anything but stealth, even with the exhaust in the closed position.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by QuikZilver
Looking forward to seeing all of you today. I won't be racing, as I am still in the process of breaking in the new motor. I decided to not race the 86 Vette as it just isn't doing the job. I'll take a 10 point hit in the standings, but that is OK. Once I get this beast broke in and HPS does their final magic...watch out! Oh...and this 418 is anything but stealth, even with the exhaust in the closed position.
Neil don't lose your points, dial a 15.0 launch like a stop light and shift at 3k. Heck you might winthat way, Mike did with his rental, remember?
Old 05-02-2009, 11:26 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Neil don't lose your points, dial a 15.0 launch like a stop light and shift at 3k. Heck you might winthat way, Mike did with his rental, remember?
Race Keith or Rick HEADS UP....

Old 05-02-2009, 12:36 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Roger would hang me if I did that. Hey, last year, I only ran half of the events and ended up 12th. With the first 3 showings being very poor, I have a hole to dig out of anyway. Besides, I race for fun anyway.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I think Roger would hang me if I did that. Hey, last year, I only ran half of the events and ended up 12th. With the first 3 showings being very poor, I have a hole to dig out of anyway. Besides, I race for fun anyway.
He wouldn't care - but bring the car up for sure, I want to hear it!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:37 AM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Neil
your new STOCK engine sound's good.
Glad I went out yesterday, had a great time.
I'll try to make the next one

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Challenge this weekend at PBIR in Jupiter, Fl.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:23 PM
RapidRick
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Had a blast! (albeit except for the downtime due to the Bike series on the same day)...

I didn't like the qualifying in the heat just before sundown, then having to "dial in" when the night air came in.
I was faster as most were who went final rounds and I look forward to qualifying around 7pm or so, as was discussed during the prerace convo by MC, to the Challenge group.

Big Congrats to "Lady MB" on winning her first Corvette challenge, tho Neil brokeout going faster in that nicer
nightime air!

....and Ditto congrats to Dino as well on winning the GM Challenge!

Wow! Double Breakout with Dino also going faster with his Camaro @ 13.38 on a 13.41 to my Formula's 12.08 on a 12.16.
As a youngin' many years ago at a track in NY, I never had a car to lineup in Dino's class when he pulled 2 foot wheelies in his low10 second stick shift big block '66 velle. It was great to finally make a final to lineup with him even if not a heads up Class run...
(Again, let's get in those qualifying runs in atleast as the day turns to night. Not qualifying in the heat of the day, only to maybe run faster upon nightfall).....JMHO.

BTW, Along with Ed Quinlan of PBIR, I've tried to talk up and tell people on the LS1Tech.com site about the Challenge for months. But their seems to be more hangin' out & car show interests and cruiser's, in the Florida Member section of that site.
I've started threads and asked local members to "BRING IT" and to "TRY AND TAKE ME OUT" type of stuff just to stir up some interest, but to no avail.....
Anyone who has said they'd come out, has never showed.. I'm done over there.tsk, tsk...

Big props to 'lil franks & Mike (certified ZR1 Chevy mechanic now working at Roger's place.) on coming out.
I could hardly see 'lilfrank behind the wheel after Big Mike got out of the seat and Frank got into it, sprayed that 90,000+ mile LS1 shortblock with a 200 shot, and went a 10.22 & 10.43!
(Sunset Orange T/A that was in the GM Challenge).

Glad to see "JoeG" back in the seat of that fine Dk.Blue Vette Ragtop and smackin'gears. Look forward to C.B. getting his Black ragtop back in action as well!...
Hey! ....with all the recent changes in venue at PBIR/Moroso, does anyone actually know when the next Challenge date is?.....lol
Cýa! :

Last edited by RapidRick; 05-03-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Hey Rick nice write up!! Nice to meet you and fun running with you.

Mike I think we have a new scribe for the series!!!!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:21 PM
dicky
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

wow this one seemed to sneak, up i just found out about it. i wouldn't be able to make it anyway since i havent got my wheels i ordered over 4 weeks ago. maybe ill luck up and hear something about them soon so i can make the next one.

dicky

Quick Reply: Corvette Challenge this weekend at PBIR in Jupiter, Fl.